Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Bad gas in Keene or N* issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bad gas in Keene or N* issue?

Hey guys quick question for those who frequent the Keene NH area. I filled up my Bonneville there over the weekend Sunoco (The one near Applebees), I filled up from 1/4 tank. Drove home, bout 30 miles, drove a quick arrend the next day and the 2nd time I fired it up the car started acting up?

It seems almost like the car is ever so slighlty misfiring at idle, Neutral or drive, either way. The motor is kicking a little bit, just enough to feel a little bump in the car every few seconds (intermittent). When I accelerate from a stop it's kinda hesitant and sluggish, you can still feel the slight bump. Once I get up to a cruising speed say 35mph + it seems to run fine.

Car has about 84k miles now.
I changed the plugs/fuel filter about 5k miles ago. Car has always ran smooth and fine before. I popped off the MAF and IAC and cleaned both of em' gently with some electronics cleaner and added some stabil. No change.

Car is not thowing codes. What you guys think, maybe got some bad gas? It's a 4.6 northstar, coil on plug, think it's a coil pack or an injector? Either way I'll wait to burn though the rest of the tank and refill, just wondering if you guys had any input, or maybe how I can check my iginition system?
I already searched the interweb for similar N* issues.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:13 PM
11 Second Club

I scanned the car
P0300 "Random multiple misfire detected" Hmm well that could be anything...

The SES did not light up or anything, but the code is there.

fricken cars.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like when I got bad gas in my 2001 WS6. Funny thing is I got the bad gas from the Citgo station two miles south of there on Winchester st (I was working right there at Fairfield Motors). I didn't realize it was bad gas and filled up there two more times and it got so bad the car just died. Drained the gas tank to find a weird green slime and my fuel filter plugged solid.

Thats also the code I got in my truck when I haad a couple coil packs die on me. It also didn't throw a ses light but I found the PO300 code in the temporary file.

Last edited by Nautilus; 04-07-2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Launching!

seen bad wires do that with the moisture. Look at engine running in the dark and look for arcing. you can take a spray bottle and make it repeat .
Old 04-07-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

coil packs, cam sensor, MAF... i'm going through the same **** with my Buick...that's why I went car shopping this week, i can't deal with it anymore. Let me know what helps. My situation isn't bad gas. My SES light is flashing constantly.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:21 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah this code was just in memory, not even an SES light.
From what I've read if it's not bad gas then I'd be looking at replacing coil packs, crank position sensor, stuck injector, or fuel pressure regulator. Unfortunately the code is not pinpointing a particular cylinder.

I also heard of a condition where you could get manifold/tb gasket leak. My Idle rpms are fine though, just an miss every few seconds and sluggishness, and I don't hear anythying odd other than the miss, so it's probably not that.

One other odd scenario I heard of is the valve cover's leaking and getting the plugs wet. I took a look and it seems fine though.

The car has no wires, it's coil on plug.

I still got like 3/4 of a tank so I'm gonna just baby the car around and burn this stuff off to see what happens before I start replacing ****.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad gas. I'm tellin ya, just baby the car for the rest of the tank. After that add some ISO-xyz then it should be fine. Trust me as you know it just happened to me.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd siphon the gas out of the car, if it's bad gas running it thru the car can only make it worse I'd think.

One way or another I'd get that gas out of the car, and fill it up somewhere you trust and see if that helps. I had gotten gas for my old pickup once and it ran like ABSOLUTE crap for the whole tank.... I thought the thing was gonna blow up it was so bad. knocking, pinging, the noises it was making were scary. At the time I was driving enough to go thru a tank about every 5 days... after one day I stopped and filled it up with 93 at another station, it got a little better, I drove it until it was down to about a 1/2 and filled it with 93 again and it got a little better.... After that I changed the fuel filter and filled it up again once it got down to about a 1/2 and then it finally got back to normal. I had just changed the fuel filter about 3500 miles before that so I don't think it was the fuel filter... coudl have been but I don't see how, it wasn't clogged or anything.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Its probably bad gas. I also have an N* though and my guess after that would be the crank position sensors as they seem to be a problem area on these motors. Lol, after the head gaskets at least.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
Its probably bad gas. I also have an N* though and my guess after that would be the crank position sensors as they seem to be a problem area on these motors. Lol, after the head gaskets at least.
LOL let's pray it's not a gasket. It's doesn't have any other head gasket symptons. Plus from what I have read those head gasket issues are way less prone on the later model engines.

I barely drove it the last few days so I still got half a tank to baby though.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:09 AM
Race your car!

Siphon that tank empty, use that gas to start a brush fire or something.

Get some 93 in the car and hopefully it will clear up for ya
Old 04-13-2009, 07:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Siphon that tank empty, use that gas to start a brush fire or something.

Get some 93 in the car and hopefully it will clear up for ya
Didn't think you could siphon newer cars?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Race your car!

You can. Just have to shove the hose into the tank far enough. Ya won't get it all out but you'll get enough out so the car should be down to about a thrid of a tank or so, then you can fill it up with some 93 from a trusted station, and hopefully clear the problem out.

I just wouldn't run the thing until it's all out, never know what the hell was in that pump that you filled the car up with, no need to keep pumping it thru the fuel system. Uneeded risk IMO.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
LOL let's pray it's not a gasket. It's doesn't have any other head gasket symptons. Plus from what I have read those head gasket issues are way less prone on the later model engines.

I barely drove it the last few days so I still got half a tank to baby though.
Yeah, supposedly they made some big improvements around '00 (I have an '03 SLS) to reduce it, and then went to LSx-style bolts in '04 and virtually eliminated it. But man does it seem to be a massive problem on the older years.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:36 AM
11 Second Club

Had to bring the car in. I was halfway through another tank when the car just started missing even worse. Guess it's not bad gas.

I'm suspecting a failing fuel injector or pressuer regulator. I don't have the tools to monitor the cylinders, figured it was time to bring it down and have the shop look at it.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Figured I would post my resolution...

Shop says 1 coil pack went bad. They are replacing just the one coil, said you don't have to replace the whole bank (thought you did). So thats' cool.

They ordered the part should be all set tomorrow.

Guess it wasn't bad gas after all.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:40 AM
11 Second Club

Ughh, can't replace just one coil, had to replace the whole rail.

$300 just for the new coil rail....
Old 04-29-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Ughh, can't replace just one coil, had to replace the whole rail.

$300 just for the new coil rail....
Whole rail? I thought they were coil on plug? Would've assumed they were individuals similar to LSx's. Haven't changed the spark plugs yet though so never taken a close look at it.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
Whole rail? I thought they were coil on plug? Would've assumed they were individuals similar to LSx's. Haven't changed the spark plugs yet though so never taken a close look at it.
That's what the shop thought too. Nope they only sell the whole rail w/ 4 coils. It's sold that way on GM parts direct too.