Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Got pulled over in PA for tint...suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got pulled over in PA for tint...suggestions please

Well I got pulled over for tint about three weeks ago I’d say and the State Trooper gave me a fix it ticket and told me I had five days to take my tint off or I get a citation. Well I decided after hearing from other boards about the cost of a tint fine in PA that I was just going to leave the tint on because it was cheaper the getting my windows retinted. Because plain and simple my car NEEDS tint or its going to look unfinished. Well the five days has obviously passed and I’ll be coming up on a month here soon and still no citation. What should I do? I don’t want to call up there and remind him but I don’t want to be driving around with a suspended license for a citation that I never received…
Old 09-24-2009, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

What is your tint % ?? How did he explain the reason it was illegal??
Old 09-24-2009, 09:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go the legal limit. Fran is offering tinting now. I had tint in my car when I got it and had to strip it. I left it off! Not worth dealing with the law or the money involved.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No legal tint in PA for my car. My tint is 13%.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
Go the legal limit. Fran is offering tinting now. I had tint in my car when I got it and had to strip it. I left it off! Not worth dealing with the law or the money involved.
Thats the thing Pa does not spell out a legal limit. Its up to the Officers desertion. On a cloudy day 35 can be illegal on a bright sun day 25 can be legal.

I've had 25 on 3 different veh for the last 4 yrs and was only stopped bc of once on a rainy day. Best part is I've seen several unmarked cop cars with 25 on all four windows lol.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Huff035
No legal tint in PA for my car. My tint is 13%.
13 ?? isn't that like painting them black lol
Old 09-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Teching In

I thought legal limit in PA was in the ballpark of 70%.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Looks like 70% by law:

http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/

So IMO not even worth having on.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Devilish34
13 ?? isn't that like painting them black lol
Nah its not that dark. you can barely even tell they are tinted. lol

Old 09-24-2009, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
Looks like 70% by law:

http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/

So IMO not even worth having on.
Note that the law only prohibits tinting which prevents a person from seeing or viewing the inside of the vehicle. It does not prohibit all tinting or tinting below 70%.
Pa is very sketchy on their wording. I've only run into it once but I know the current tint law and after we(the officer and I read it) I was issued a written warning. If and I have been stopped with tinted windows I've lowered my front and rear so they can see into me vehicle.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All tint is now illegal in PA, I have 18% all around, if you get pulled over either pay it or take it off then retint it. That's a ******* stupid **** **** cop head for ya, I guess they thought you were a beaner driving a honda civic that might pull a gun on them Cops just pull you over for tint when theyre bored and wanna pull someone over for something, 13% isn't that dark to the person above, either do it below 20% or don't do it at all is what I say for tint!

Old 09-24-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fccs
All tint is now illegal in PA, I have 18% all around, if you get pulled over either pay it or take it off then retint it. That's a ******* stupid **** **** cop head for ya, I guess they thought you were a beaner driving a honda civic that might pull a gun on them Cops just pull you over for tint when theyre bored and wanna pull someone over for something, 13% isn't that dark to the person above, either do it below 20% or don't do it at all is what I say for tint!
+1
Yeah I'm pretty sure he was either bored or half asleep and I scared him. He was sitting on the on ramp and i went by him,speed limit,and then got on the interstate quietly and also did the speed limit. Went a couple miles up the road through a construction zone also on or below speed limit and he cuts the guy off behind me to pull me over. Oh well, it was labor day weekend guess he couldnt find anyone speeding. lol
Old 09-24-2009, 01:02 PM
9 Second Club

BINGO!!!! All tint is no no in Pa unless it came from the factory. If you have a utility vehicle I think there is room there?
Originally Posted by fccs

Old 09-24-2009, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Huff035
+1
Yeah I'm pretty sure he was either bored or half asleep and I scared him. He was sitting on the on ramp and i went by him,speed limit,and then got on the interstate quietly and also did the speed limit. Went a couple miles up the road through a construction zone also on or below speed limit and he cuts the guy off behind me to pull me over. Oh well, it was labor day weekend guess he couldnt find anyone speeding. lol
It is a legitimate concern for a cop when they make stop I try and remember to lower my rear window. But back to your original concern if it worries you that much I'd contact them worse case you recieve the fine you are already expecting.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikep2002
BINGO!!!! All tint is no no in Pa unless it came from the factory. If you have a utility vehicle I think there is room there?
I actually asked the trooper when he was there, he said that an SUV can have the back and sides but not the driver or passenger front doors. He started to say something about pickup trucks but I pretty much stopped paying attention, I was pretty irritated by then. He wasn't being the nicest...
Old 09-24-2009, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

hope this helps-http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-sun.pdf
Old 09-24-2009, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

was it a fix it ticket or a written warning? the written warning all you need to do is have an inspection station sign it and mail it back...
Old 09-24-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS4_SS
was it a fix it ticket or a written warning? the written warning all you need to do is have an inspection station sign it and mail it back...
Fix it ticket. Has to be sign by LE. it's too late now anyways. I'm not worried about that part. Just not sure why I haven't received my citation but don't really want to ask them why I haven't....
Old 09-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Teching In

I've gotten repair orders for 10% tint atleast 5 times in 2 years. Also gotten repair orders for my exhaust, ram air hood, and blackout tail lights. You just gotta do some searching and get the "friendly inspection". Just be ready to slip him some green. I've never actually made any repairs, lets just hope I don't run into the same cop, lol.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

I got pulled over in Pa for my tint when I was on vacation 2 years ago. I was just passing through. All I got was a warning because he saw my Ma plate and told me to not worry about his friends down the road.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over in PA for tint...suggestions please