Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Anybody in Roanoke Va area?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody in Roanoke Va area?

Hey guys, I'm originally from Harrisonburg Va but I've been living up in Pa for the last 5 years. Right now the plan is to move to Roanoke/Smith Mountain Lake area in October and I was wondering if there is anybody in that area on Tech. Just wondering what the car scene is like in that area. Thanks

Kris
Old 06-24-2010, 06:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WTF?!?! no more fast truck up here
Old 06-24-2010, 07:07 AM
Teching In

Aw WHAT DA HELL!!?? Guy's leavin on a jet plane...
Old 06-24-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
WTF?!?! no more fast truck up here
The fast truck is moving to the land of lakes, mountains and no **** smell. We have been working on this move with my girlfriend's company for two years and she just got the go ahead to open a new office down there. I'm going to miss you Tech guys that I have met up here. I will also have to get used to racing 1/8th mile again. The closest 1/4 mile track is 2 hours away.

Hopefully I will get to open my own shop down there eventually though. One of these days I would like to have my own dyno to beat the crap out of my truck on. LOL

You need to make sure your car is back up and running so I can see a mid 9 second pass out of it before I leave in October.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bringing back an old thread but I'm down in Roanoke. We have a few f-body's running around here. Hit up the 1/8th mile tracks in Natural Bridge or Shelor and you'll see good number of them around.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
Bringing back an old thread but I'm down in Roanoke. We have a few f-body's running around here. Hit up the 1/8th mile tracks in Natural Bridge or Shelor and you'll see good number of them around.
Glad to hear there are some Tech guys in Roanoke. I plan on spending quite a bit of time at the Bridge and Shelor. How strict is tech down there? I see on the website for NB that I need to add a trans blanket, steel trans lines, fire extinguisher and battery shut off to be legal there in my TA. I have a feeling my truck will get one pass and they will throw me out for sure.

Not sure what they will run down there with the higher elevation but up here my car runs 6.60's and my truck will be in the high 6's to low 7's in the 1/8th.

Kris
Old 08-09-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

It's been a couple seasons since I've been up there and I haven't had the pleasure of running anything other than high sevens low eights on TNT nights. I never had any inspection issues and didn't have any of that safety equipment, but I was also running a full second slower.

A friend of mine was traping 94-96mph with a fire extinguisher, no cage, no trans blanket, and without steel trans lines. They didn't bat an eye. Shelor on the other hand is more strict
Old 09-06-2010, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

I have Family in Roanoke/Salem,Va I visit alot. Virginia is mostly 1/8th mile tracks The only 1/4 mile track I now of is Richmond dragway and Virginia motorsports park.there hour to hour in half but MIR is about 45 mins from me.. You must be talking about bristol being 2 hours away.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1Bad97WS-6
I have Family in Roanoke/Salem,Va I visit alot. Virginia is mostly 1/8th mile tracks The only 1/4 mile track I now of is Richmond dragway and Virginia motorsports park.there hour to hour in half but MIR is about 45 mins from me.. You must be talking about bristol being 2 hours away.
I know Richmond is about 1.5 hours away but I would love to run at Bristol. If mightymouse is running I might go up to Richmond though. Eigth mile is fine with me for my truck but my car loves 1/4 mile. Hopefully we can get a fbody group to start running at the tracks around Roanoke.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

I'd be down for that, every time I go to Shelor or Natural Bridge all I see are Mustangs. It'd be nice to see some F-body muscle take on the blue oval crowd.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

If Iam down that way and ya go to Shelor motor mile. I will join also. I have family only about 30 mins from there in Giles/Pearisburg,Va.. Mycar right now arn't as fast as ya'lls. But when I do my 3200 stall/LT's/ORY/160stat/Tune/DR's I should be around 7.9-8.0s and when I change out my 273sto 373s I should be able to pickup another 2 teeths..
Old 09-06-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd be down for that, every time I go to Shelor or Natural Bridge all I see are Mustangs. It'd be nice to see some F-body muscle take on the blue oval crowd.
Va is full of mustangs but we can start a revival. My goal is to surprise them with the truck and then finish them off with the TA. LOl Hopefully in the next year or so I will take the next step with the TA and push it well into the 9's with a turbo but that is going to take a ton of work.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1Bad97WS-6
If Iam down that way and ya go to Shelor motor mile. I will join also. I have family only about 30 mins from there in Giles/Pearisburg,Va.. Mycar right now arn't as fast as ya'lls. But when I do my 3200 stall/LT's/ORY/160stat/Tune/DR's I should be around 7.9-8.0s and when I change out my 273sto 373s I should be able to pickup another 2 teeths..
Let me know when you are ready to go faster and I will help you out. A cam and spring swap will get you down where you want to be. I can help you do the swap so we can pick on the blue ovals.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

I'd probably be the slowest in the bunch but I'll just make you guys look better

I bought my T/A BONE stock a month or so ago and so far all I've done is the intake. I'll hopefully get done with all the bolt ons by the end of this season so I'm getting there.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd probably be the slowest in the bunch but I'll just make you guys look better

I bought my T/A BONE stock a month or so ago and so far all I've done is the intake. I'll hopefully get done with all the bolt ons by the end of this season so I'm getting there.
If you need help with the bolt ons or something a little more substantial when I get down there let me know. We are buying a house with a two car garage on top of a two car garage so I will finally have enough room to work on my toys without taking the whole garage. I will be down there in in mid October and hopefully hitting the local tracks in the Spring. My plan is to open a shop with my budy down there in the next year or so.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the ***** out of virgina before you marry your sister or something and come back up...
Old 09-06-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikep2002
Get the ***** out of virgina before you marry your sister or something and come back up...
I'm still in Pa for now. Tonight is the fourth night in three weeks that I have been home. I'm planning to run the truck on Wednesday night and Chad is doing his liscense passes. Come down and hang out since you can't run. I think Dan and Brian are going and my buddy Bob is going to sign for Chad as well.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2ktransam
If you need help with the bolt ons or something a little more substantial when I get down there let me know. We are buying a house with a two car garage on top of a two car garage so I will finally have enough room to work on my toys without taking the whole garage. I will be down there in in mid October and hopefully hitting the local tracks in the Spring. My plan is to open a shop with my budy down there in the next year or so.
That would be awesome, it'd be nice to have someone in town that knows their way around an LSx motor. I've got the bolt ons pretty much under control but I have no experience swapping cams so I might take you up on that sometime in the spring.

Hey now! No one in VA is attracted to their sister, but we do have some good lookin cousins
Old 09-07-2010, 06:04 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by mikep2002
Do I hear banjos?