Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Moving to Boston from Chi-town, got a couple of questions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moving to Boston from Chi-town, got a couple of questions!

Hey guys,

I'm shippin up to Boston in January and i need to know a few things!

Hows the driving?

Im gonna be near Mass General Hospital so im gonna be in the heart of the city.

Is my camaro gonna get murdered with snow and salt as it does in chicago?

what kinds of things should i look out for and what shouldnt i miss??!?!

thanks

ANY other info would be great!!!

Kevin
Old 08-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you that if you drive in the winter time, yes its going to get hammered. BUT with consistant under carriage washing and matience it should not be an issue. I have a car out of Peabody and I noticed some spots on the underside when working on it and you just want to make sure you can keep up on it.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

join us over on northeastf-bodyassn. cam most of the crew is from that area. they'd be able to answer many questions.

Last edited by Red Devil 99'; 08-20-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

The driving can be horrible with the traffic. When the big snow hits I remember seeing a lot of no parking on the streets warnings or will be tow'd. If you go south the driving gets better. There is a ton to do in boston as far as night life and what not, lots of college hotties there( I just turned 24). Make shure you hit up the North End in boston.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

so the driving blows in the winter and check out the hotties. lol

what else should i check out while im there?@?@
Old 08-20-2010, 06:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaro Ryder KV
so the driving blows in the winter and check out the hotties. lol

what else should i check out while im there?@?@
Park the car and take the T. I worked down town for a few years, driving completely blows even in nice weather. Never mind paying rediculous rates to park. If your from chicago then your used to snow. I wouldn't recommend driving your camaro in it but if you do get some snow tires. Like mentioned be prepared for parking bans, especially after we've had a few storms and they got no where to put the stuff.

Anyways welcome, there are lots of things to do in the city. Lots of places to eat between downtown crossing and Quincy market, which you are one stop from..
Old 08-20-2010, 07:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll be walking more than driving living there.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Park the car and take the T. I worked down town for a few years, driving completely blows even in nice weather. Never mind paying rediculous rates to park. If your from chicago then your used to snow. I wouldn't recommend driving your camaro in it but if you do get some snow tires. Like mentioned be prepared for parking bans, especially after we've had a few storms and they got no where to put the stuff.

Anyways welcome, there are lots of things to do in the city. Lots of places to eat between downtown crossing and Quincy market, which you are one stop from..
Yea im used to snow here. knock on wood, ive driven through 4 winters on bfg summer performance tires and no problems. i have a crapload of stuff in the trunk and controlling a fishtale has gotten to be somewhat a natural reaction.

i will be there dec 27th until june 3rd so i really want to go to everything and soak up the experience. driving on the coast with the ttops off in spring has been somewhat of a dream of mine since a little kid so im stoked about that. ive lived in chicago all my life so its def going to be a crazy temporary change.

who knows, if i find a decent job i may stay. any police hiring??!?!
Old 08-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Im gonna be very frank, driving in boston sucks, there is always traffic on 93 leaving the city as well as the mass pike rt 90(toll road). Storrow drive is usually full twords 93 and rt 1. During the winter parking is almost non existent and even thorughout the year as well, get some nice walking shoes. Cops will write you up without a problem and there are speed traps on rt 2, rt 95 and 93. If your gonna be living around there I suggest getting covered parking and wash your car like someone else suggested. Good luck bud! OH and radar detectors are legal in Mass so if you got one bring it if not you can invest in a valentine.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Parking sucks, traffic sucks, roads suck, congestion sucks.....find a garage for the car, get a monthly spot, park the car all week and use it on the weekends when you leave the city. You dont need a car for anything and you'll find out within a week or two that it's more of a pain in the *** to use it then take public transportation. Driving in stop and go traffic getting up to 25 mph max most of the time sucks ***.

....coming from someone who grew up in the city.