Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

A little detailing for the crappy weather

Old 10-04-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A little detailing for the crappy weather

In between the miserable two weeks of rain we have had here in the Northeast I got a chance to do some detailing.

I thought this was a cool car, I am not a huge fan of Mercedes but I like this, its a CLK500. Just a few shots.

Nothing too exciting, I detailed this car two months ago so it was not in terrible shape just a nice coat of dirt on it. Handwash, used some blackfire enhancing polish and autoglym wax.

Before

Afters

This car was gross, another Mercedes but an older one. Paint was in rough shape with a few small rust spots, no real reason for correction. I washed everything, clayed and then used some klasse aio to finish cleaning the paint then a little sealant to keep whats there protected. Not many pics but just looking at the wheels you can tell how grimy this car was.

Before

After

Old 10-05-2010, 06:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blackfire makes just about any car look good. good job, that 2nd one needed some love for sure. We just did a Subaru baja in similar condition, no correction but the works on everything else, makes a big difference especially in person. Atleast mercedes uses good paint.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:56 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new Benzo paint is like trying to buff defects out of a diamon, good luck.

I just detailed my car this past weekend, the exterior, rims, glass and interior look great. Even busted out the Cyclo random orbital; that thing is a beast and it's still 101% safe.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have started using the blackfire more lately and I really like it. The CLK has some swirls but overall they are not too bad. I am surprised the other Mercedes came out as well as it did, it looked like it hasn't been cleaned in years.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
The new Benzo paint is like trying to buff defects out of a diamon, good luck.

I just detailed my car this past weekend, the exterior, rims, glass and interior look great. Even busted out the Cyclo random orbital; that thing is a beast and it's still 101% safe.
Benz paint = use Menzerna
Old 10-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Humanitarian

I'll hit it with a 3M body shop compound and show it whos boss! :-)
Old 10-06-2010, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
I'll hit it with a 3M body shop compound and show it whos boss! :-)
Yeah or that. 3m is about as much cut you will get outta compound. Still gotta finish it off nicely. Hard paint you still need a lighter cut polish thats effective.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Humanitarian

I like the 3m professional line. The paint correction stuff is a 3 step process and is ready for wax/sealent after the last step. All in what your used to I guess. 3m is my comfort zone.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hear about the 3m stuff but I have not really read all that much on it. How is it?
Old 10-07-2010, 07:00 AM
Humanitarian

I like it alot, espically the professional line. If you find an auto body/detail shop locally chances are they'll have it in stock. The products work pretty well; I used them for quite a while back in the day when other brands were tweaking their own stuff and anything worth while could only be purchased online. I never really had issues with hazing or that stuff. Straight forward and easy to use.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Solid improvement, especially on the Rims. I do take notice on cars I pass by and man, I swear some people have 100k on a car and never washed the rims once.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Solid improvement, especially on the Rims. I do take notice on cars I pass by and man, I swear some people have 100k on a car and never washed the rims once.
Yeah, I notice also, I understand not everyone takes care of their cars because it might be an older or car or they might drive it 100 miles a day. It amazes me that people with expensive cars let them go to hell. Not saying this customer did, she got this car from someone else, but even a quick detail once a month will keep a car in great shape.

I see a lot of people driving around BMW and Mercedes and I think if you can pay 35k+ for a car you can spend at least 50-75 bucks to get someone that know whats their doing just to clean it and wax it. I charge a little more but I am still on the low end around here, I guess I just gotta be more aggressive.

Search this Thread