Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Police shoot and kill Pace student who runs over cops.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Police shoot and kill Pace student who runs over cops.

http://www.lohud.com/article/201010170421

THORNWOOD — A Pace University football player was shot dead by police early Sunday during a brawl outside a bar on homecoming weekend.

Danroy "D.J." Henry, a 20-year-old junior from Easton, Mass., was speeding away from officers who confronted him outside Finnegan's Grill at the Town Center strip mall, police said.

In front of a throng of fellow students crowding out of the bar, Henry was shot at by two officers, including a Mount Pleasant officer standing in front of his sedan. A Pleasantville police officer who was hit by Henry's car and was clinging to the hood is believed to have fired the fatal shot.

Two officers suffered minor injuries, and Henry's front-seat passenger suffered a minor gunshot wound. All three were treated at Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla and released.

"It's horrendous , it's something that I would hope would never have happened here, but unfortunately it did, and we'll proceed with a very, very thorough investigation," Mount Pleasant Police Chief Louis Alagno said at a Sunday morning news conference.

Alagno would not release several details of the incident, including the names of the officers involved, the names of Henry's two passengers and how many shots were fired. He said the two officers who shot at the student have at least five years' experience.

The police chief also would not say whether he thought the use of deadly force had been justified. It was the second deadly police shooting in a week involving a Westchester police officer; five days ago, a Pelham Manor officer shot and killed a Harlem man after a chase and scuffle.

The student's father, Danroy Henry Sr., told The Enterprise of Brockton, Mass., on Sunday that he was shocked such an incident could happen. He had just watched his son play in the homecoming game Saturday.

"I'm sure if you reach out to the people investigating it, they will give you their version of the story," he said. "There are a lot of witnesses who say that that's not the version, so we need to get to the bottom of it."

Several Mount Pleasant town and Pleasantville village police officers responded about 1:20 a.m. Sunday to a large disturbance at Finnegan's Grill, on the corner of the shopping center, a short drive from Pace's Pleasantville campus.

Click Here

More than 150 people, most of them Pace students, had gathered in front of the bar and in the parking lot, with sporadic fights breaking out even after police arrived, Alagno said.

Police approached Henry's vehicle, which was parked in a fire lane. When an officer knocked on the car window, Henry sped off, according to a Mount Pleasant news release.

A Pleasantville officer tried stopping the vehicle, but Henry accelerated into him, hitting him, and the officer ended up on the hood of the car, police said.

As the vehicle passed by, a Mount Pleasant officer attempted to pull the Pleasantville officer off the hood, but was grazed by the car.

While clinging to the hood as the car continued to accelerate, the Pleasantville officer shot at Henry, the release said, apparently through the windshield.

The vehicle kept heading down the fire lane, moving directly toward another Mount Pleasant officer, who also fired at the vehicle, which crashed into a Mount Pleasant police cruiser and came to a stop about 60 feet from where it started.

Alagno said investigators believe the Pleasantville officer fired the fatal shot.

More police departments were brought in to quell the fight, which resulted in four arrests, Alagno said.

Henry was pronounced dead at Westchester Medical Center. The male passenger who was injured was not a Pace student, a university spokesman said.

Alagno said he spoke with Henry's parents Sunday. "They're extremely distraught. I expressed my deepest sympathies for their loss," he said.

The Pleasantville officer was treated for leg injuries and the Mount Pleasant officer hit by a side mirror was also treated at the hospital. The officers and Henry's passenger were released from care Sunday morning.

Two other officers, including the Mount Pleasant officer who shot at the car, were being treated for trauma, Alagno said.

Samantha DeRosa, 19, a Pace sophomore from Poughkeepsie, said she witnessed the incident and disputed the police version.

Click Here

She said a large crowd of students was spilling out of the bar as the disc jockey warned them to leave because police were coming to break up a large fight outside. During those frenzied moments, Henry was driving around and headed toward a police officer standing in the middle of the road. He hit his brakes, but struck the officer and then kept driving, she said.

"We don't know why he kept driving, but he did," she said.

In view of dozens of Pace students, DeRosa said, the officers opened fire on Henry's vehicle, firing about five shots.

"Everyone was just screaming, everyone was screaming his name and didn't know what was going on," she said.

"It was so poorly handled, in my opinion," she added. "You're trained to do a certain job and you should know better ... shoot the tires of the car, don't shoot the kid."

Robert Coulombe, 23, a Pace senior, estimated the whole incident lasted 15 seconds. Moments later, Henry was pulled out, and a woman in a white dress performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

"It appeared to me he was already dead," Coloumbe said. "His eyes were opened and glazed over."

On his BlackBerry, Coulombe videotaped the aftermath, including moments when several people in the crowd grew angry and an officer waved a gun to hold them back.

"A lot of girls were crying and some men were yelling, 'Why would you shoot at him?' " he said. "They were being restrained by other friends."

The Mount Pleasant officer who fired at Henry will be put on administrative duty, Alagno said.

Mount Pleasant police are leading the investigation with the aid of the Westchester County Police Crime Scene Unit, state police and the Westchester County District Attorney's Office.

At the shopping center Sunday morning, police had taped off nearly half the strip of stores and a large section of the parking lot. The car Henry was driving was still in front of CVS, with bullet holes in the windshield and the left front wheel bent perpendicular to the car.

Nearby, a small group of Pace students congregated and hugged each other, as police investigated.

Click Here

Pleasantville Police Chief Anthony Chiarlitti sent out a short news release, saying his department would fully cooperate with Mount Pleasant's investigation, and forwarded all questions to them.

Another Mount Pleasant news conference is scheduled for this morning.

Pace also released a statement, saying, "We extend the deepest sympathies of our community to Mr. Henry's family and friends. We are working with the police investigation and as appropriate will share more information when it becomes available."

A vigil was held Sunday night on the Pleasantville campus. Assistant football coach Cornell Craig led hundreds of students carrying candles from the campus fitness center to the 10-yard line of the football field and back again. Players took turns sharing memories of Henry, especially his love of sports.

"He used to come into my room, and we used to talk football, football , football," said a classmate and fellow team member, Adrian Mills. Addressing the team, he said: "For the next couple of days I don't care if you win, lose or draw, stay positive. One thing D.J. was, he was always, was positive."

In his remarks, Craig said: "He was a special player, a special person, and he will be missed."

Pace freshman Kelly Van Wort said she was leaving Finnegan's with friends when she heard from inside a car what sounded like four gunshots. At first, she said, "I didn't think it was gunshots, I just thought I was hearing things. ... But the minute we left, people started calling and texting like, 'Oh my God, they just shot Danroy,' freaking out."

On Sunday morning, students gathered outside the townhouse where Henry was believed to have lived, known informally as the "football house." Some exchanged hugs and wiped away tears as they spoke to each other.

A security guard was stationed outside the residence.

Junior Gina Falcone, one of Henry's friends, said some of her sorority sisters were traumatized after seeing him get shot.

"He was such an amazing person, one of those all-around good guys who you'd never think something like this would happen to," Falcone said.

"There's clearly a huge misunderstanding," she said. "It shouldn't have happened like that."
Old 10-18-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOve it, guy attempts to flee the scene and hits two cops with his car, puts an officers life in danger and it always comes back to why did the cop protect himself? Such BS people never see the side of the police. I can see if the guy just fled and they fired shots as he was driving 100 yards down the road, not when your clinging onto the hood of a mvoing car and the driver wont stop.

Guarantee if the guy would have not fled or actually stopped when the cop was on his hood then he wouldnt be shot.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itsslow98
LOve it, guy attempts to flee the scene and hits two cops with his car, puts an officers life in danger and it always comes back to why did the cop protect himself? Such BS people never see the side of the police. I can see if the guy just fled and they fired shots as he was driving 100 yards down the road, not when your clinging onto the hood of a mvoing car and the driver wont stop.

Guarantee if the guy would have not fled or actually stopped when the cop was on his hood then he wouldnt be shot.
Exactly! If he would have communicated with the cops in the first place and not sped off with a cop attached to his hood and striking other officers with a 3000lb weapon, he would be alive today.

From what I gathered between the media and speaking to witnesses, the cops were just trying to clear the area and wanted the driver to move out of the fire lane. He wasn't even going to get a ticket, let alone be shot. Obviously, there's a reason he took off that has yet to be revealed.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:34 AM
10 Second Club

I agree. We of course don't know all of the fine details yet and I do feel bad about the loss of this young man's life but simple logic states that you do not aim a 3000-4500 pound vehicle at ANYONE with a loaded gun, police officer or otherwise.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:01 AM
On The Tree

Unhappy mr ''boooze'' gets a nother one.............

they are under age ''drinkers'' they the police should go back to that place
an close it down!!!.. was ther ''DRUGS'' ther?? the police office life was in
danger.... sorry for the lost of the ''KID'' .. AT 20.. MR BOOOOZE DOSS IT /
AGAIN.................................... an wood till be alive...
Old 10-18-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chknhwk01
they are under age ''drinkers'' they the police should go back to that place
an close it down!!!.. was ther ''DRUGS'' ther?? the police office life was in
danger.... sorry for the lost of the ''KID'' .. AT 20.. MR BOOOOZE DOSS IT /
AGAIN.................................... an wood till be alive...
According to some of his friends, he was the designated driver. I'm curious to see what the toxicology report shows. He ran for a reason... maybe he was drunk/high or maybe there's some other reason.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Robert Coulombe, 23, a Pace senior, said he thought police used excessive force.

"I thought it was very unnecessary," he said. "It was poor judgment by the student to try to flee the scene, but I couldn't understand why cops would shoot at him. He wasn't posing any imminent danger, the direction he was heading. Even to shoot the tires would make more sense to me."
He wasn't posing an imminent danger? Not only was he fleeing the scene of a violent felony (striking 2 officers with his vehicle), but he was fleeing the scene with an officer hanging on to his hood and refusing to stop. Seems pretty imminent to me!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:47 AM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I agree. We of course don't know all of the fine details yet and I do feel bad about the loss of this young man's life but simple logic states that you do not aim a 3000-4500 pound vehicle at ANYONE with a loaded gun, police officer or otherwise.
I don't feel guilty about this piece of **** being dead. He tried to kill a cop with his car.

If someone tries to him me with a car and I have a firearm on me, you can be reast assured I will unload on that ******.

I love it, everytime some ******* gets killed by the cops you always hear people around him say how nice he was and what a good church going, pillar of the community he was. They make every scumbag out to be Mother Teresa "he would not harm no body"

Clearly he tried to cause some serious harm to a cop and the dumb **** got a 9mm to the scull [I assume] for it.

Im not a big fan of cops, but ****, this officer has every right to defend himself if the facts as are they are presented in the article.

I love the quote when they say "shoot the tires not the kid" That is all fine and dandy, but guess what *** hat, the car can still roll and be in reletive control with 1 or two flat tires. How many times have you seen police chase video of a car with multiple flast going 80mph on the rims with sparks flying? If they meat puppet pressing the gas pedal is taken out, then the car will soon roll to a stop.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

The student's father, Danroy Henry Sr., told The Enterprise of Brockton, Mass., on Sunday that he was shocked such an incident could happen. He had just watched his son play in the homecoming game Saturday.

"I'm sure if you reach out to the people investigating it, they will give you their version of the story," he said. "There are a lot of witnesses who say that that's not the version, so we need to get to the bottom of it."
I'm sorry, but if all versions include him plowing into the police officer, the shooting was more than justified. Why is it that when this sort of thing happens, it seems like the parents are always screaming conspiracy? Does nobody want to believe their child is capable of such an act?
Old 10-18-2010, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Default You got that right

AMAN TO THAT....................
Old 10-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Banned

And this is why, when a cop says "get out of the car" or "stop" or "put your hands up" you listen to them, and do what they say. They are in a position of authority, and whether you like it or not, you have to listen to them.

We all make bad decisions once in a while. Unfortunately, this one cost this kid his life.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:07 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
I love it, everytime some ******* gets killed by the cops you always hear people around him say how nice he was and what a good church going, pillar of the community he was. They make every scumbag out to be Mother Teresa "he would not harm no body"

I love the quote when they say "shoot the tires not the kid" That is all fine and dandy, but guess what *** hat, the car can still roll and be in reletive control with 1 or two flat tires. How many times have you seen police chase video of a car with multiple flast going 80mph on the rims with sparks flying? If they meat puppet pressing the gas pedal is taken out, then the car will soon roll to a stop.
Good points.
Perhaps we should even be applauding/congratulating the cops for potentially saving the 10+ more innocent lives that this kid could've easily snuffed out with his car had they not stopped him.
In this day and age of cell phone/digital cameras, high priced lawyers and You Tube, in general, you won't find too many cops putting their careers/entire futures on the line to fire upon a citizen unless there is a DAMN GOOD (and valid) reason to do so.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good points.
Perhaps we should even be applauding/congratulating the cops for potentially saving the 10+ more innocent lives that this kid could've easily snuffed out with his car had they not stopped him.
In this day and age of cell phone/digital cameras, high priced lawyers and You Tube, in general, you won't find too many cops putting their careers/entire futures on the line to fire upon a citizen unless there is a DAMN GOOD (and valid) reason to do so.
I absolutely applaud the officers for a job well done. Their lives, as well as the lives of the public, were put at risk, and they ended the threat as quickly, safely and efficiently as possible given the difficult situation and mere seconds of life-changing decision-making time.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
And this is why, when a cop says "get out of the car" or "stop" or "put your hands up" you listen to them, and do what they say. They are in a position of authority, and whether you like it or not, you have to listen to them.

We all make bad decisions once in a while. Unfortunately, this one cost this kid his life.
A lot of critics are saying that maybe he got nervous or maybe he was too drunk to realize what he was doing. Well, nerves can make you do stupid things, but I don't care how nervous you are, something like this should never happen. Even if he did hit the cop accidentally (which I doubt), he continued driving with the cop clinging to the hood and refusing to stop. That alone warrants the use of deadly force.

And if he was too drunk to realize what he was doing.... TOO F'N BAD. He could have killed someone because of his stupid mistake. Intoxication is not an affirmative defense to the commission of a crime. Luckily, his life was the only one that was taken.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by APG12
A lot of critics are saying that maybe he got nervous or maybe he was too drunk to realize what he was doing. Well, nerves can make you do stupid things, but I don't care how nervous you are, something like this should never happen. Even if he did hit the cop accidentally (which I doubt), he continued driving with the cop clinging to the hood and refusing to stop. That alone warrants the use of deadly force.

And if he was too drunk to realize what he was doing.... TOO F'N BAD. He could have killed someone because of his stupid mistake. Intoxication is not an affirmative defense to the commission of a crime. Luckily, his life was the only one that was taken.
I wasn't disagreeing with you at all.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:43 PM
CARTEK Racing

Good points.
Some states are moving to make recording a cop while on duty illegal. Even though in public you only need permission from one of the parties involved. One party being the person doing the taping, no need for the cop being taped to give his permission. What some states are doing is clearly uncosntitutional because if a cop is allowed to use his dash cam against you, you should be able to tape a cop.

A recent case involved a biker who got pulled over my a plain clothed cop in an unmarked car. The cop jumped out of the car and without showing his credential drew his weapon on the biker. This was in MD and the biker could have been carrying, shot the cop in self defence been cleared of all charges. This was all cought on camera by the biker. Knowing this, the DA wanted to hide the cop's misconduct and charged the biker with illegal wiretaping. Asshat DA lost the case... obviosly.

Because of YouTube and cell phone videos cops are worried that their misconduct will become public. Some shape up and act right and in the best interest of the public, some try to enact laws that will prevent people from showing police misconduct by making it illegal to videotape them.

Like I said, I don't much care for some cops and their better than thou attitude. In fact I hate every NJ cop because NJ feels that their lives are worth more than mine by allowing the to carry and dissalowing it for just about everyone else. BUT, in this case, the cop was right to shoot that jerkoff.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
I wasn't disagreeing with you at all.
No, I know that. I was just adding to what you had said. That wasn't directed towards you.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
Some states are moving to make recording a cop while on duty illegal. Even though in public you only need permission from one of the parties involved. One party being the person doing the taping, no need for the cop being taped to give his permission. What some states are doing is clearly uncosntitutional because if a cop is allowed to use his dash cam against you, you should be able to tape a cop.

A recent case involved a biker who got pulled over my a plain clothed cop in an unmarked car. The cop jumped out of the car and without showing his credential drew his weapon on the biker. This was in MD and the biker could have been carrying, shot the cop in self defence been cleared of all charges. This was all cought on camera by the biker. Knowing this, the DA wanted to hide the cop's misconduct and charged the biker with illegal wiretaping. Asshat DA lost the case... obviosly.

Because of YouTube and cell phone videos cops are worried that their misconduct will become public. Some shape up and act right and in the best interest of the public, some try to enact laws that will prevent people from showing police misconduct by making it illegal to videotape them.

Like I said, I don't much care for some cops and their better than thou attitude. In fact I hate every NJ cop because NJ feels that their lives are worth more than mine by allowing the to carry and dissalowing it for just about everyone else. BUT, in this case, the cop was right to shoot that jerkoff.
MD is the only state that I personally know of that has the camera law. Here in NY the cops are filmed all the time. As long as the person recording isn't interfering with the officer's duties or safety, there's nothing they can do about it.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1. Authority figure with gun attempts to speak with some one parked in fire lane.

2. Guy runs, hitting another officer

3. 3rd officer attempts to grab officer on the car, gets clipped by the car.

4. During this time the officer on the hood has had plenty of "this is me being patient" time.

5. Patient time is over, officer fires into vehicle before the vehicle gains more speed or continues to do damage.

I see no conspiracy here, I'm not sure how any of the "witnesses" are getting any of their conclusions. They expected the officer to shoot the tires? While he was on the hood? Right, because that is the best way to stop a 2 ton weapon while you are riding it. People need to wake up.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:23 AM
Launching!

Cops did what that had to do i live 3 towns over from where this happened. Turns out news papers said today the kid was drunk

Quick Reply: Police shoot and kill Pace student who runs over cops.