Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

MD State Inspection - Ughhh.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MD State Inspection - Ughhh.

Trying to get through MD inspection and was failed on O2 sensors and air pump - for the visual safety inspection not emissions. Neither of those is directly an issue. The shop did not fail me on the SLP headers but was questioning where the lines from the air pump would go. I was almost afraid to ask if the headers were ok not knowing if they were a concern or not. My plan is to put everything back in place without actually hooking it up. I can weld some nuts onto the headers so the line fittings looks like they are installed correctly. But again, the headers are a concern. Anyone from MD have any advice? I really would hate to do a stock manifold/header swap, twice, to get by the inspection if I don't need to. MD is a pain...
Old 10-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Ahhh, crap. I screwed up my very first post. That's MD not MS like it says in the subject line.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 159 Likes on 111 Posts

My brother is a mechanic so he has been getting my stickers for both my cars over the last 6 years but when he lost his job. My camaro needed a sticker and she has a offroad-y pipe. Here in Maine, its illegal to have no cats so I went shop to shop til I found a cool guy that would give me a sticker. 5 or 6 shops later I found one that was willing to do it and have since then, taken both my cars there to have new tires put on just to give him some buisness.

I'd say just look around til you find someone that doesn't care about those little problems. Unless you want to tackle those small problems and get yourself a legal sticker. O2's don't cost all that much.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
My camaro needed a sticker and she has a offroad-y pipe. Here in Maine, its illegal to have no cats so I went shop to shop til I found a cool guy that would give me a sticker.
Its illegal anywhere not to have cats.. Some states just dont do emissions testing, lucky for me since I would fail. Not sure what im gonna do when I have to move somewhere that tests.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LoL.

Sorry I can't help, but when I first saw the thread title, I thought "WTF?"

I live in MS, and the only way you could fail the inspection here is if your horn didn't work or a headlight was out.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Do you think you could PM me and let me know where you got it done? Hell, I'd even pay you a finders fee at this point!
Old 10-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it wont let me send you a pm
Old 10-28-2010, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Was this a first time inspection or just part of the every two year emissions inspection?

My normal MD emissions is jsut OBD2 check and go.

Please clarify.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Teching In

This was the first time vehile safety inspection. I never bought a car that already had significant mods done while living in MD, so did not realize that the one-time initial safety inspection after you buy a car includes checking for emissions. I expected to do some work before (or after) going through the emissions inspection, but not the safety inspection. Not a real big deal since with my luck they would have failed me in emissions anyway, but was looking to get over the safety inspection hump with no issues. Just more work to do sooner than I was hoping.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

There are ways to get it through. Why did it fail? the first inspection is all safety and by eye. NO sniffer/obd2 other than visual codes.

Do what you have to get through. Then put it all back. After the initial you only have the obd scan every two years.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Headers are legal as long as you have cats. not having the EGR is your problem. if you can rig it you shouldnt have a problem. when i had my SS inspected they let the nitrous kit pass but made me change out the damn catback because the SLP wasnt technically a muffler no matter what paperwork i showed them. MD inspections are pure BS.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

yes but once your threw once... Your golden. My friend took his sentra SER Spec V with no cats and a lumpy cam... No issues.

Or a slammed on its face EVO with a VERY VERY lumpy cam... No cats and a nasty backfire when you lifted/hard shifted.

Both times he passed the emissions with no issues.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LegacyGTBiggie
yes but once your threw once... Your golden. My friend took his sentra SER Spec V with no cats and a lumpy cam... No issues.

Or a slammed on its face EVO with a VERY VERY lumpy cam... No cats and a nasty backfire when you lifted/hard shifted.

Both times he passed the emissions with no issues.
were talking inspection not emmissions.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On the eastern shore side you shouldnt have any problems or are you from the west side?
Old 10-29-2010, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

I know. I'm saying get it passed the first time then just revert back and you'll be fine.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Teching In

All good info, thanks. I'll post an update once I get through safety inspection.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Just go to Crazy Rays on rout 1 and get all the parts. You could ask around and see who could get you a sticker, they run about $250 .
Old 11-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Passed safety / visual emission inspection this week by putting everything place without actually hooking it up. On to emissions inspection in about 2 months...
Old 11-10-2010, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

No codes and your through no problem. Subarus have it easy with the accessport. Just plug it in and disable the code for running catless.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Government in action.

Quick Reply: MD State Inspection - Ughhh.