Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

My Firebird was rear-ended!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Firebird was rear-ended!

So it figures my only car accident ever would be in my firebird, and it wasn't even snowing out. Yesterday morning i was innocently driving to a Syracuse University basketball game and i see some dummy in an SUV tailgating me like she's Danika Patrick. I'm usually super-safe and drive like a grandma cause I'm afraid of two things in life; cops and body damage. But i had to turn up the driving assertiveness level a notch to get through the traffic.

I turn on my blinker and press the brakes at a moderate level to make a right turn in a 30 mph zone and sure enough, SLAM! the SUV battle-rams me from behind and sends me over a little snow bank and i hear the sound of my less-than-perfect, but still lovable firebird become half an inch shorter. The girl who hit me pulls over and says "I didn't see your blinker!" and then she looks at the damage and starts crying as she informs me she has a suspended drivers license.

I'm pissed but i know i probably won't be at fault in the eyes of the car insurers. We exchanged information and i haven't reported the accident to the cops or insurance yet because I though i'd give her family a chance to pay for my damage instead of getting her into big trouble for driving with a suspended license.

I'm guessing at least $2000 in repairs for my car. It was probably a 15 mph impact. My bumper popped out of the bolt holes and is cracked and the metal behind it was probably pushed in 3/8 inch in the middle because my trunk doesn't line up with the tail lights anymore. I had to adjust my trunk latch to make the hatch close again. I'm going to get some repair estimates this week.

Pictures:
photobucket album

I have no experience with car accidents and have a few questions.
Would i have to cover any cost of the damage if reported to our insurance companies? (no collision)
What happens if my car is totaled? (say $3000 in damage, $4000 book value for car)
What are the chances i have frame damage? (still drives strait, haven't had a chance to look at it under a lift yet.)
Old 01-24-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bore.me
So it figures my only car accident ever would be in my firebird, and it wasn't even snowing out. Yesterday morning i was innocently driving to a Syracuse University basketball game and i see some dummy in an SUV tailgating me like she's Danika Patrick. I'm usually super-safe and drive like a grandma cause I'm afraid of two things in life; cops and body damage. But i had to turn up the driving assertiveness level a notch to get through the traffic.

I turn on my blinker and press the brakes at a moderate level to make a right turn in a 30 mph zone and sure enough, SLAM! the SUV battle-rams me from behind and sends me over a little snow bank and i hear the sound of my less-than-perfect, but still lovable firebird become half an inch shorter. The girl who hit me pulls over and says "I didn't see your blinker!" and then she looks at the damage and starts crying as she informs me she has a suspended drivers license.

I'm pissed but i know i probably won't be at fault in the eyes of the car insurers. We exchanged information and i haven't reported the accident to the cops or insurance yet because I though i'd give her family a chance to pay for my damage instead of getting her into big trouble for driving with a suspended license.

I'm guessing at least $2000 in repairs for my car. It was probably a 15 mph impact. My bumper popped out of the bolt holes and is cracked and the metal behind it was probably pushed in 3/8 inch in the middle because my trunk doesn't line up with the tail lights anymore. I had to adjust my trunk latch to make the hatch close again. I'm going to get some repair estimates this week.

Pictures:
photobucket album

I have no experience with car accidents and have a few questions.
Would i have to cover any cost of the damage if reported to our insurance companies? (no collision)
What happens if my car is totaled? (say $3000 in damage, $4000 book value for car)
What are the chances i have frame damage? (still drives strait, haven't had a chance to look at it under a lift yet.)
ALWAYS get a police report!! You only have 10 days to report the accident in NY, but you should have had the police respond to the scene. It's not your problem that she may get in trouble. She took that chance when she got behind the wheel with a suspended license AND drove like an *******.

Provided that she does not dispute your account of the accident, you should be able to file a claim with HER insurance and not pay a penny out of pocket or out of your insurance. DO NOT file a claim with you insurance.

However, due to the fact that there was no police report at the time of the accident, it's your word against hers, and it could get ugly. You're now relying on her being honest.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, NYS law requires any accident involving over $1000 in property damage be reported. It's not really enforced, but it is the law.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I Gota say, you f'ed up without a police report. I thought of being nice one time, and guess what I paid for my car and there's when a chick and a jeep ran the front of Camaro over while I was STOPPED. Bad idea on your part and it's also obstruction of justice on your end now if your state has laws that require reporting accidents...

Good luck, you will probably need it..
Old 01-24-2011, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice guys finish last. If she was smart she was never driving that day and your **** out of luck.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:05 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahhhh, you have screwed yourself over. These guys are right. The girl just did a hook, line and sinker on your ***. You live and learn I guess. File that report asap and you'll have to deal w/ your statement against her since nobody is a witness.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

Get a police report asap!
Old 01-24-2011, 07:21 AM
9 Second Club

Never leave the scene of an accident . Unfortunately you may be stuck paying on your own..... My brother did this years ago and almost got sued. He drove onto a road bank to avoid the other car from sliding into him..... Days later the other driver's insurance company called him to collect his money. When he refused they threatened to sue....

Just saying never be a nice guy in this situation cause it never turns out good.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

WOW, that was an idiotic thing to do!! ALWAYS ALWAYS call the police. Not only did you leave the scene of an accident, you let someone who just hit you drive off, AND she had a suspended license....Were you drunk?

Seriously.....I'm sorry to hear about your car, but more sorry to hear about your naievity. Call her insurance and yours and tell your side to both ASAP!

Your car is probably totalled....its a high mileage LT1 car....not worth much.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
WOW, that was an idiotic thing to do!! ALWAYS ALWAYS call the police. Not only did you leave the scene of an accident, you let someone who just hit you drive off, AND she had a suspended license....Were you drunk?

Seriously.....I'm sorry to hear about your car, but more sorry to hear about your naievity. Call her insurance and yours and tell your side to both ASAP!

You don't want to notify your insurance unless you get denied through hers. If you go through yours, you will have to pay the deductible and your premium may go up.

File a claim through her insurance ASAP and advise them that she told you she had a suspended license and didn't want the police to come. Usually when there is a crime involved they will pay out without too much of a problem, regardless of fault. You just need to get on it bro!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Summerwolf

Gee thanks. The girls family wants to pay for my car so she doesn't get into deep ****. I'm getting an estimate today (shops were closed yesterday) and i will probably file a police report, depending on the cost.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by APG12
You don't want to notify your insurance unless you get denied through hers. If you go through yours, you will have to pay the deductible and your premium may go up.

File a claim through her insurance ASAP and advise them that she told you she had a suspended license and didn't want the police to come. Usually when there is a crime involved they will pay out without too much of a problem, regardless of fault. You just need to get on it bro!
ok thanks. My firebird is registered under my moms name and on her insurance. I don't have collision on it. I was told to call my insurance but good thing i haven't done that yet. Some people have given me some bad advice, and like i said, i've never dealt with an accident before.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thanks. My firebird is registered under my moms name and on her insurance. I don't have collision on it. I was told to call my insurance but good thing i haven't done that yet. Some people have given me some bad advice, and like i said, i've never dealt with an accident before.
If you don't have collision, then your insurance wouldn't cover it anyway. They would just tell you to file a claim through her insurance. Unless you were found at fault, then they would cover the damage to HER car but not yours. Doesn't seem like that's the case.

I have a bit of experience in the field, so I will tell you for future reference:

ALWAYS ALWAYS get a police report immediately at the scene. The only exception is if you are completely at fault and want to pay out of pocket. Just because you get a report doesn't mean you have to file an insurance claim. It is simply official documentation that the accident occurred, who was involved and possibly who was at fault.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. I got two repair estimates today, one for $3500 and one for $4000, which includes like 10 hours on the frame machine. The girls mother filed a claim with her insurance (gieco) and it's sounding like i will not be at fault at all. The only thing I'm worried about is my car being totalled, book value is around $4500. I won't let that happen though, i like my car too much
Old 01-24-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks. I got two repair estimates today, one for $3500 and one for $4000, which includes like 10 hours on the frame machine. The girls mother filed a claim with her insurance (gieco) and it's sounding like i will not be at fault at all. The only thing I'm worried about is my car being totalled, book value is around $4500. I won't let that happen though, i like my car too much
Ok well that's a good start. Get the claim number and get in contact with Geico. They will try to send you to one of THEIR body shops. Pick a shop that YOU want to use and go there. You can go to whatever shop you want. Don't let them sucker you into using their place.

If they ask you to bring it to their facility for an estimate, tell them the car isn't safe to drive. That way the adjuster will have to come to YOUR shop to do the estimate.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pics of the girl?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Latch
Pics of the girl?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by APG12

I never said file a claim, I said notify them. They need to know you were in an accident before her insurance starts calling yours.

By doing it the way you were talking with the family hidden costs that are ALWAYS found won't be covered, also that family probably doesn't have the money to cover the cost of the car. For future reference, always get a police report.

Sorry about your total loss....time to buy an LSX car and move on! You won't want a car back thats been hit in the rear with almost 5K of damages....they're never right.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:40 AM
10 Second Club

Pics of the girl?
In for pics...
Old 01-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

Pics of the girl?
... of the girl