Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Hey HVAC guys (Mini split questions)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hey HVAC guys (Mini split questions)

I've been eyeballing these ductless A/C's for a while. I am looking to cool my kitchen/living room area (split level, the whole upstairs is about 1200sqft, cooling area probably 700ish)

It gets pretty hot in mid summer 85* inside is common.

Anyways is this a DIY job? Can I just go buy a name brand unit (I was thinking 24,000btu) and rig it up myself? I am only looking to get 1 wall unit installed and I'v seen some in this size around $1500 give or take.

Any advice? Brands? Typical cost to install if I go that route?

Thanks guys.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really a do it yourself kind of job. Even thought its a mini unit it still installs like a full size one. Meaning you would be better off letting a pro do it. You could probably add about $500 to the cost for a good install. In my opinion they are all junk. really bastards to work on and typical repair cost can be ad much as a new unit.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Not a diy but you can get most off the labor and preliminary work done yourself ie; run the lines, set the compressor outside, put the mounting bracket up for the wall unit etc. But you need a pro to terminate the lines, pressurize them, leak checks etc... but if you do all the rest of the work you can save..
Old 06-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Teching In

I personally like them. Especially when the alternate is to cut up a 100yr old house and run ducts everywhere=much more expensive
Old 06-19-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

I love mine. I also have a heat pump on it and so far it saved me over 100 gals of heating oil. I live on a slab and didn't feel like ripping my walls apart so a mini spilt works out great for me.
It isn't a diy imo. You need to wire it and evacuate the system and pump it up and check for leaks. I got mine done for under $500 including electrical and hvac which is a good price around here but I work with the contractors. I had estimates between $800- $1400.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

Hey thanks guys. I've done my homework and this type of system seems like the best deal for me. $500 seems like a good deal for install to me.

I saw some units through sears in the 18-24btu range for $1,500ish that also do heat. I'll have to look around for installing unless sears has connections.

I don't want to run duct work or have the need to cool the whole house. These are pretty simple and cost efficient. I would prefer a ceiling register but those seem to cost a lot more. Thanks guys I was hoping to keep the whole thing around 2 grand and it seems fairly doable. Based on your comments I won't try to install it other than maybe some of the simple things (wall mount and run lines).
Old 06-19-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They work great. We have central a/c but it gets so damn hot upstairs, we installed a system just to cool the upstairs. Sanyo 24,000 btu with 3 inside units, one for each room. We hooked everything up ourselves, as we ordered it with the line lengths we needed, and the lines and the outside unit come precharged. So we installed everything ourselves, but just had a professional come to do the initial start up since they have the right tools like a vacuum pump and stuff.

Sanyo is one of the best brands you can buy. I think we ended up paying around $1200 for the system, but I don't remember what website we bought it from. We called them just to ask some questions, but the guy my dad talked to ended up giving him a better price on the phone, even though we actually just called to ask some questions about how they work. Just the start up was like $400 though because this idiot that we got didn't know what he was doing and was like there all god damn day. Try and find someone who does mini-splits, not just any hvac guy.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Danno there is alot of false information in this thread. There are reasons hairy home owner are not supposed to buy and install there own ac systems. A unit that is not installed properly or sized correctly will cost you money in the long run. To far for me to help but you defintly need a profesional to do a load caluclation and install your equipment for you properly.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:59 AM
9 Second Club

These can be a pretty easy DIY job if you can get an A/C guy to come charge it. They are simple to install in a couple hours.

24k BTU seems like it may be a little overkill for 700 Sq/ft.

Where in Central Mass are you?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:33 AM
8 second mod

if some one will do a complete install for $500 then dont waist your time hire them. its not worth your hassle. how they can do it for 500 is beond me seeing the line set alone is going to be $150-200 bucks if you buy the right one that is insulated on both liquid and suction side.
i wouldnt touch one for 500.
typical install for a ductless split would be a full days labor for one man call it $500, line set call it 200, miss parts, nitrogen, freon, ties, tape, screws, etc etc 75, wiring would be between 500 and 1,000 depending how far, if your electric will handle it etc etc.
you would be looking more like $2,000 to $3000 for a complete install esp if you got permits etc.
700 sq foot you shouldnt need 24,000 but i guess if your heat gain is a lot then maybe you will need it. hard to say.
just be sure whoever you hire has there qualifications and insurance.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nautilus
These can be a pretty easy DIY job if you can get an A/C guy to come charge it. They are simple to install in a couple hours.

24k BTU seems like it may be a little overkill for 700 Sq/ft.

Where in Central Mass are you?
Winchendon

Yeah a 18k unit might serve my needs fine.

I have a couple window units in the bedrooms but I hate to have a bunch of units hanging from the windows on the front of the house, looks crappy. Plus I got 2 big double hung vinyl windows in the living room side by side to give it that bigger window look and I'd hate to rig an a/c into it.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Noyzee
if some one will do a complete install for $500 then dont waist your time hire them. its not worth your hassle. how they can do it for 500 is beond me seeing the line set alone is going to be $150-200 bucks if you buy the right one that is insulated on both liquid and suction side.
i wouldnt touch one for 500.
typical install for a ductless split would be a full days labor for one man call it $500, line set call it 200, miss parts, nitrogen, freon, ties, tape, screws, etc etc 75, wiring would be between 500 and 1,000 depending how far, if your electric will handle it etc etc.
you would be looking more like $2,000 to $3000 for a complete install esp if you got permits etc.
700 sq foot you shouldnt need 24,000 but i guess if your heat gain is a lot then maybe you will need it. hard to say.
just be sure whoever you hire has there qualifications and insurance.
yeah I would pull the permits and all. I already know where it would go and its under a 20ft run. The kits come with everythything I need. I can have my uncle wire it for 220 (lic elec.) and then get the A/C guy to charge it.

I'm handy enough to tackle the job, but I want to do it the right way once thats for sure. Like you said $500 is a good deal, but typically if i can do it myself I usually try. If i'm gonna spend close to 3 grand I'd probably just go full blown central air at that point.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Noyzee
if some one will do a complete install for $500 then dont waist your time hire them. its not worth your hassle. how they can do it for 500 is beond me seeing the line set alone is going to be $150-200 bucks
Thats due to all the dirt bags under cutting the quality installers. I am hearing this more and more in recent years. Customers hear $$$ on the quote and really do not pay attention to the installer, quality, or legality of the install.

Sucks but you get what you pay for but sweat equity does count for something still.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:10 AM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
yeah I would pull the permits and all. I already know where it would go and its under a 20ft run. The kits come with everythything I need. I can have my uncle wire it for 220 (lic elec.) and then get the A/C guy to charge it.

I'm handy enough to tackle the job, but I want to do it the right way once thats for sure. Like you said $500 is a good deal, but typically if i can do it myself I usually try. If i'm gonna spend close to 3 grand I'd probably just go full blown central air at that point.
be sure if your doing it with permits, now the hvac guys need a master license so be sure they will sign off on your work. they finnally started to do this to help keep the hackers away from our industry.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a heads up on the DIY route and pulling permits. it can be a pain in the *** to get or even find someone willing to sign off on work they didnt do.
I mean something as simple as this sounds is pretty obvious if its going to be a totally shitshow when you start it but I know most companies dont want anything to do with stuff they didnt install since you sign off on it, its yours whatever may happen.
Id go with whatever decent unit you can get for a good price. Ive put in a sanyos, LG's, carriers, mitsubishi,daikens etc. I havent found one to be much better or worse as far as install. If you have to sweat the lines, they gotta be brazed if its a 410A unit. About the only thing I could see tripping you up is test and charge which you probably wont have to add anything if its under 25ft anyway. Anymore questions, shoot me a pm.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by subarubill96
Just a heads up on the DIY route and pulling permits. it can be a pain in the *** to get or even find someone willing to sign off on work they didnt do.
I mean something as simple as this sounds is pretty obvious if its going to be a totally shitshow when you start it but I know most companies dont want anything to do with stuff they didnt install since you sign off on it, its yours whatever may happen.
Id go with whatever decent unit you can get for a good price. Ive put in a sanyos, LG's, carriers, mitsubishi,daikens etc. I havent found one to be much better or worse as far as install. If you have to sweat the lines, they gotta be brazed if its a 410A unit. About the only thing I could see tripping you up is test and charge which you probably wont have to add anything if its under 25ft anyway. Anymore questions, shoot me a pm.
I was eyeballing something like this.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...P?prdNo=3#desc
Old 06-23-2011, 08:41 AM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
I was eyeballing something like this.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...P?prdNo=3#desc
i would stick to sanyo, dakin or lg IMO, also carrier teamed up with toshiba and they seem to be pretty good as well.

Quick Reply: Hey HVAC guys (Mini split questions)