Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Modding for NJ

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modding for NJ

I hate living in a state that outlaws fun in general, but I'm gonna be stuck here for a while. Anyway I'm looking for a way to wake my car up a little more, and hopefully get low 13s. I'm on a budget (actually I'm flat broke but I want to choose a mod to save up for). Anyway, I'm looking for mods that can pass inspection and be comfortable in a dd. I know this is a tight set of constraints, but thats why I'm looking for advice.

Right away the ls6 intake comes to mind, but that requires an !egr. Will this pass the sniffer? I'd need codes tuned out, right? Of course LT's are an obvious next mod, but that really gets complicated with nj emissions. Opinions?

Of course, I'm not sure I need to really be smog legal at all. I can smell a car with the cats out a mile away, and I know there are a handful of ricers getting away with ****. Under the new laws, do all the service stations use a sniffer, or just OBDII. No sniffer means get a tune and never worry again, right?

Lastly, any weight reduction tips. The ac and noise matting has to stay, but I plan to get rid of the front bumper support and anything else that I don't need to lug around.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

NJ has one of the most relaxed state inspections now. They just check your OBDII for codes...no SNIFFER!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

guess you havent done any research, but for quite a while now there is almost NO inspection. all they do is hook a computer to your OBD2 and check for codes. thats it. no cat visual inspection, no sniffer, no nothing. you can have blown shocks, bald tires, cracked windshield, jagged rust holes, tint, slicks, etc. ALL they check is the computer emissions. that doesnt mean the rest is legal; they just cant fail you for it.

i believe 95 and older require a sniffer
Old 08-19-2011, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
guess you havent done any research, but for quite a while now there is almost NO inspection. all they do is hook a computer to your OBD2 and check for codes. thats it. no cat visual inspection, no sniffer, no nothing. you can have blown shocks, bald tires, cracked windshield, jagged rust holes, tint, slicks, etc. ALL they check is the computer emissions. that doesnt mean the rest is legal; they just cant fail you for it.

i believe 95 and older require a sniffer
They still do a visual inspection for cats. When I took my car through, they hooked up the computer and then got the mirror out and checked underneath.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

they did a visual inspection on my exhaust before they switched to emissions only, so I'm not sure if they still do that

either way I just tacked 2 heat shields in place on the Y pipe and then ripped them off when I got home, too easy
Old 08-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And you have some of the best tracks in a pretty close proximity so I would not be complaining. NOW if you lived in California, that be a different story and to be honest I would not move there alone due to the retarted modding laws. Make sure ALL your parts have their CARB # for easy view....
Old 08-20-2011, 06:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlackBADaSS02
They still do a visual inspection for cats. When I took my car through, they hooked up the computer and then got the mirror out and checked underneath.
i took my truck through last month, and there was no mirror used
Old 08-20-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
i took my truck through last month, and there was no mirror used
Maybe they only check if they think you might have removed them. They definitely used the mirror looking for cats on my car, and I know a few others that have said they also got the mirror.
Or it could depend on what inspection station you go to. Some places might check and others might not.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Launching!

have you taken your car to the track? You could probably get her to low 13's with some seat time...