Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Nitrous laws in Maryland and Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 06:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Nitrous laws in Maryland and Virginia

This is copy and paste from a post on a charger forum post I stumbled on while doing some research.

First, the relatively good news:

VIRGINIA:

From the criminal code:

§ 46.2-1088.4. Devices used to supply nitrous oxide to the engines of motor vehicles.

It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth if such vehicle is equipped with any device that supplies the vehicle's engine with nitrous oxide, unless the device has been disabled such that the supply of nitrous oxide is disconnected and not readily accessible to the source of delivery.

Violation of any provision of this section shall constitute a Class 3 misdemeanor.

So, you can have a nitrous system, and you can even have the bottle not only in the vehicle but in the harness, all warmed up and ready to rock. However, it can't merely be shut off, it has to be disconnected. Also, it can't just be some sort of quick-disconnect on your center stack, as it cannot be "readily accessible." However, if it is disconnected at a point that you can't reach from the driver's seat or trigger remotely, you are good to go.

Now, the bad news:

MARYLAND:

From the criminal code:

§ 22-404.5. Power booster systems prohibited; exceptions.

(a) "Power booster system" defined.- In this section, "power booster system" means any device installed in a motor vehicle which allows liquid nitrous oxide to combine with gasoline for the purpose of increasing engine power.

(b) Use prohibited.- Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, a person may not operate on a highway a motor vehicle equipped with a power booster system.

(c) Exceptions.- A person may operate on a highway a motor vehicle equipped with a power booster if:

(1) The vehicle is enroute to or from a track where the vehicle is used for racing and the power booster system is inoperative; or

(2) The container of nitrous oxide has been removed from the vehicle.

(d) Identification decal.- Every motor vehicle equipped with a power booster system shall be identified with a decal that:

(1) Is a diamond shaped design consisting of the words "Compressed Gas D.O.T. No. 1070" in silver scotchlite letters 1 inch high on a black background with a silver scotchlite border;

(2) Is issued by the Office of the Fire Marshal or from a nitrous oxide industry source; and

(3) Is attached to the left front and right rear bumper of the vehicle.

(e) Regulations authorized.- The Office of the Fire Marshal may adopt regulations necessary to carry out the provisions of this section.

(f) Fee for decal.- The Office of the Fire Marshal or nitrous oxide industry source that issues the vehicle identification decal may charge a fee for the issuance of a vehicle identification decal not to exceed the reasonable cost of preparation and distribution.

I know not everyone is familiar with reading statutes, so let me break it down. Firstly, it is LEGAL to have a car EQUIPPED to use nitrous. That is talking about the lines, heaters, etc., NOT the nitrous bottle itself. Many think is also legal to have the bottle in the car, as long as the line is not open. No. It is ILLEGAL to even so much as have the bottle in the car UNLESS you are on your way to a racetrack, and even then it has to be disconnected, NOT merely shut off--that is why they chose the workd "inoperative" versus "closed" or "shut off" like other jurisdictions. (Simply saying that you are isn't going to be good enough--especially if you are in work or going-out clothes. You are going to have some indicia of proof.) Further, any vehicle EQUIPPED for using nitrous has to have the decal described, REGARDLESS of whether there is actually a bottle of nitrous in the car or not.

So, in summary:

You can have a nitrous system in your car, IF you have the decal. However the bottle cannot NEVER so much as be in your car, much less connected, UNLESS you have the decal AND you are on your way to the racetrack. Remember that a violation is a criminal offense, not a traffic citation.

Thus:

Legal: Vehicle equipped for nitrous use on a public road, IF AND ONLY IF decal in place AND NO bottle in car, much less connected
Legal: Bottle of nitrous in car, NOT connnected to system, IF AND ONLY IF on the way to a racetrack AND you have the decal
NEVER Legal on a public road in Maryland: Nitrous bottle connected to system while on a public road, REGARDLESS of whether the connections are open or closed, regardless of decal, regardless if you are on your way to a racetrack

I was debating on mounting my bottle on the driveshaft hump but now I think Ill hide it...

Anyone on here have the Maryland decal on their car, or have any legal experience with this?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just keep mine hidden in the spare tire area.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Same here hidden in the spare tire area. No need to have it out in the open anyway.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I predict you will see ricers rocking the compressed gas decals just because they think it looks cool
Old 10-27-2011, 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

I have absolutely no interior, might have to put the rear panels back in just to hide it
Old 10-27-2011, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

None of this is new info. Cops just can't search your **** anyway
Old 10-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Prime examples of legislators with too much time on their hands. Get back to balancing your budgets you bunch of *******!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:21 PM
9 Second Club

**** NOS plain and simple.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikep2002
**** NOS plain and simple.
Wanna back that statement up?

Give me 12 cars, and the kick, in a roll race from 100-130. You refill my bottle when i win.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:05 AM
12 Second Club

Nawwwwwwwzzzzzz

Quick Reply: Nitrous laws in Maryland and Virginia