Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

VA Beach Traffic Summons.. please help me

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VA Beach Traffic Summons.. please help me

I was on I-64 heading south in the left lane going somewhere with some friends. They were ahead of me and I wasn't sure how to get there so I sped up to catch up to them and before I knew it I see blue lights light up in the median and I look down and I was doing 90-95 (foot lifted off pedal at the time). I pull over and does his normal routine, license and registration/ have you had anything to drink tonight, I clocked you at 103 in a 55. He also asked me to write a good mailing address down on his notepad...Anyway, he comes back and hands me Traffic Summons. He didn't knock my speed down at all.
I was in 5th gear and I guess my foot was down more than anticipated.

What all do I need to do for this? I most likely can't pay a fine and it's all over. I leave Tuesday for a 1 month underway. I leave towards the end of Feb for a 7 month deployment. If you can suggest what I should do or explain to me what is going to happen it is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:52 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Is it for speeding or reckless? If just speeding just pay it and move on... for reckless get a lawyer!
Old 01-03-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im assuming that one is definitly reckless. When is your court date? I would talk to your Legal Officer, and talk to the Navy guys at the court house ASAP.

I went through something similiar (20 something over) in 2003, except my deployment was unscheduled... PM me if you want details.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

I talked to my Senior Chief. I explained everything to him in detail. He told me to just call the number on the back of the summons and inform them of our underway. They will either move the court date up or postpone it until after deployment. Either way, I will be going to court with my Legal Officer.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're lucky he didn't take you to jail.

I don't know what the Navy offers for legal help, but as a civilian, you'd need to get a lawyer for that.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Ahhhhhhh I remember the first time I got pulled over doing 135 racing down I-95 at night in South Floirda on my way to the "Towers" car show..... Luckily I was racing some P.O.S. Nissian and the Highway Patrol Officer never noticed the other car WAYYYY behind me at night.... but when I recieved that phone call from my sister in the car following, miles behind, that a Highway Patrol car flew out of the Median like a bat out of hell to go and pull over a speeding car, I saw those "Blue Lights" in my periphals as soon as I got the call lol.... He got out of his car, and man when I say he was pissed.... No joke.... Cursed me out for 20mins.... Told me all kinds of screwed up ****... like my "parents" should have never bought me a V8 lol and I could have killed myself and others.... blah blah.... but the part that bothered me the most... is when he asked who the girl sitting next to me was (at the time was a girlfriend)... I replied "My girlfriend Sir", and before I could say anything else, this guy begins to ask me... "How would you like it Son, if I took your Girlfriend out of the car here, layed her down in the ditch, and blew her ******* brains out? HUH!?!?!" ....uhhhhhh.... I was completely speechless and in shock of what this, keep in mind "Highway Patrol Officer" had just said to me! Supposedly the Moral to his story was, whats the difference of speeding and killing myself, along with her and maybe others.... still hasnt stuck.... lol.

Thank God he only clocked me at 103 though and not 135!!! haha! (or else I think he would have actually shot my "ex" g.f lol)
Old 01-07-2012, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Default ticket

They won't take ur license unless ur double the speed limit-which you we're getting close.But I always beleave in lawyers when it's this ****.But you pay either way.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:54 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom01ss
They won't take ur license unless ur double the speed limit-which you we're getting close.But I always beleave in lawyers when it's this ****.But you pay either way.
So far they haven't taken it when triple the speed limit... but its worth it to always have a lawyer handy. Man do they get pissed when your over 100 though! Like bad2thebone said I've had the girlfriend/parent/etc speeches from officers. I asked them why dont they go chase real criminals... they get even more mad I love it.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

It's all good man Haha... I needed a cop to break up that relationship... her parents never let her ride in my car again and that's all she wrote...

Shiz best luck to you bro... lawyers are expensive.. pay it and be done with... luckily the cop only gave me 2 phone calls...
Old 01-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SH1ZN1T
I talked to my Senior Chief. I explained everything to him in detail. He told me to just call the number on the back of the summons and inform them of our underway. They will either move the court date up or postpone it until after deployment. Either way, I will be going to court with my Legal Officer.
Dont count on telling them yourself. If your court date is going to fall on one of the dates that you will be underway, have your admin department write up a letter with a command letterhead and submit it to the courthouse to request a continuance due to operational commitments. I have done this a few times and it is usually good to go. The judge can deny it but they usually dont. Since you were more than 20 MPH over it is reckless. I just got a 95 in a 55 not long ago. I got a lawyer and did the AAA driver course and everything before I went to court. My speedo was way off though which helped me. I ended up getting a $200 fine plus court costs which ended up being $293 and I also got a 90 day restricted license, 90 days jail (all suspended), and a 1 year probation period. So if you dont get a lawyer you could more likely be facing a nasty sentence in Va Beach. Could be over a grand worth of fines plus jail time and license issues. Also, what state is your license in? Mine is Maine so any tickets I get here dont show up on my license so my record looked squeaky clean for the judge. My lawyer was pretty beast though. He specializes in traffic violations and does a lot of reckless driving stuff. PM me if you want his contact data.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tom01ss
Oh yeah, dont believe this. They can most definitely suspend your license for this. They cant actually suspend an out of state license but they can suspend or limit your driving privliges in this state. So if you get pulled over and they run your license and it shows that you are in their system for having a restriced one and you dont have your papers with you, just go ahead and grab your ankles and lube up.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlackLS1Bird
Oh yeah, dont believe this. They can most definitely suspend your license for this. They cant actually suspend an out of state license but they can suspend or limit your driving privliges in this state. So if you get pulled over and they run your license and it shows that you are in their system for having a restriced one and you dont have your papers with you, just go ahead and grab your ankles and lube up.
Not true on not being able to suspend out of state liscense. Federal government past a law about 3 years ago that if your license is suspended by any state its suspended and your state has to honor it. It was part of the one license campaign were you can only have one license from one state. Im sorry can't Help you on va law but would suggest a lawyer to at lest get it reduced
Old 01-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dogger
Not true on not being able to suspend out of state liscense. Federal government past a law about 3 years ago that if your license is suspended by any state its suspended and your state has to honor it. It was part of the one license campaign were you can only have one license from one state. Im sorry can't Help you on va law but would suggest a lawyer to at lest get it reduced
Never heard of that. The lady at the courthouse that issued me my restricted license told me that she couldnt suspend my license because it was an out of state one and that my restricted one only applied in VA. There may be states that have reciprocity with each other on that but Maine isnt one of them.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything over 85MPH regardless of the speed limit is reckless which is a criminal offense. Get a lawyer to bargain it down.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

anything over 80 is reckless. in va its a class one misdamener(spelling). I'm 20 and got 95 in a 60 on i64 and lost my dl for 6 months,800 dollar fine,100 if community service, and 90 in jail with 86 suspended.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

I went to the courthouse and submitted my deployment letter that we are given so the judge on the court date can look at it and postpone the court date. On the day of or the following day I will have someone call and find out what the judge decided to do.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Get.
A.
Lawyer.

Pay them whatever you have to. This will screw you on insurance for 5-7 years if it's written full book. Reckless driving is a "major" offense in their eyes.