Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Need some help and guidance with building a new shortblock.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 06:12 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Need some help and guidance with building a new shortblock.

Well, yesterday I think I broke a ringland on #7. Not 100% sure till I pull the head, but I pulled the plug and the grounding strap is pressed against the electrode.

So now I need to rebuild. My thought is to do a stock cube, stock crank, forged piston/rod combo. I just want the motor to last, but I'm not looking make more power as I was perfectly happy with the power level I was at, I just want this to be a safe setup. As it is, I'm at the limits of the 60lb injectors, and I'm still on a 10-bolt, so I'm not looking to be running a number. I just want to not have to worry about popping the motor.

So does anyone have any suggestions or know of any places that'll put together a shortblock like this? I'd prefer it to be somewhat local to the Philadelphia area (within 2-4 hour drive).

Any help is appreciated. I don't even know what piston or rod combo is best.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ A_VAS has a 416 LS3 w/ a 24x reluctor ring. For what he is asking it would almost be the same as doing a forged 347, but this is a forged 416, be a great torque monster and you wouldn't need alot of boost.

Shoot me a PM if you want a phone #, he is kinda busy right now cause he just bought a new house and hasn't been on the forum too too much.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:10 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Hmm, sounds interesting. Unfortunately, I need to wait for my bonus at the end of February till I do anything. But if he's willing to wait, maybe it'll work out.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:53 PM
8 Second Club

Do a 370 and jam it with about 15 or so PSI and call it a Day and It will out live any 416ci done right....
Old 01-15-2012, 02:56 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by my first GTO
Do a 370 and jam it with about 15 or so PSI and call it a Day and It will out live any 416ci done right....
Ok, sounds good, but where and how much for the 370?

I'm not trying to make crazy horsepower, I just want it to hold together. The tune wasn't bad, I just think I pushed to motor beyond it's breaking point.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:53 PM
8 Second Club

[QUOTE=The Alchemist;15842532]Ok, sounds good, but where and how much for the 370?

I'm not trying to make crazy horsepower, I just want it to hold together. The tune wasn't bad, I just think I pushed to motor beyond it's breaking point.[/QUOT

I think You can Build a Killer F/I Short block for under 4500 Bucks, LS2 blocks are cheap do it .030 over also rotating assemblies are a very good value if you look around...
Old 01-15-2012, 07:46 PM
9 Second Club

I would do the 416 any day over a piece of iron hanging on the front of my car. You will feel that extra 100 pounds dragging the nose around corners. Usually its not the blocks that break its the piston and rods. And just one more thing since you are about maxing the 60lb injectors out. The 416 or the 370 will both need 80lbers. And the 416 will tune better with the 80lbers.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:21 PM
8 Second Club

I still would go with a 370ci we make over a 1,000 RWHP with it so at 6 or 700hp is no problem with it and I run 90 injectors
Old 01-15-2012, 08:31 PM
9 Second Club

I still would go with a 370ci we make over a 1,000 RWHP with it so at 6 or 700hp is no problem with it and I run 90 injectors
yep bet the car loves race gas and how much does that car drive on the street? Just curious. I think he mentioned he wanted to keep the car fun and not launch the car drag racing.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to here about that Brien. I will sell ya my stock bore and stroke forged piston for cheap if you deside to stay stock cube
Old 01-15-2012, 09:58 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by mikep2002
yep bet the car loves race gas and how much does that car drive on the street? Just curious. I think he mentioned he wanted to keep the car fun and not launch the car drag racing.
That's why I said at 6 or 700hp he could b fine and run on pump gas that's all.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:01 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I would do the 416 any day over a piece of iron hanging on the front of my car. You will feel that extra 100 pounds dragging the nose around corners. Usually its not the blocks that break its the piston and rods. And just one more thing since you are about maxing the 60lb injectors out. The 416 or the 370 will both need 80lbers. And the 416 will tune better with the 80lbers.
I definitely don't want iron. I will never push it hard enough to justify the extra 100lbs. The car is a tank enough as it is, I don't need anymore weight that's for sure.

No race gas here. I will definitely pick up a methanol kit though. It should help keep things in check.

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
Sorry to here about that Brien. I will sell ya my stock bore and stroke forged piston for cheap if you deside to stay stock cube
I may take you up on that offer Dan. I'm still contemplating what to do. The only question I have with them is how much of a dish they have. That would drop my compression a good amount, but we'll talk.

Like I said, I'm not looking to make more power, the car is just a fun street car, so I don't even want to run smaller than an 18" wheel/tire combo, so traction is non-existant.

I will upgrade the injectors to 80s just to make sure I have the extra safety margin and have them flow tested, putting the highest flowing ones in the rear cylinders.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:24 AM
10 Second Club

The pistons are a -8.6cc dish that put me at 9.6CR with a 66 cc head.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would look at TSP or Thompson motorsports. Thompson has some killer deals on shortblocks. You may want to look at building it from you block if its still ok. I found it alot cheaper to use the block I have, I had an oiling issue.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:43 PM
8 Second Club

My vote is for MCP competition engine Right near six flags , I would do a forged 346 and call it a day if your happy with the power level you were at.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:33 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Feel free to give me a call. We can deff put something together for you.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Alchemist. I called Speed Inc the other day, knowing that I will be going through this too in the future even at 8lbs. I too wanna keep my stock cubes and will one day built another 6 speed car 370 with Unleashed's new oilless turbo or something similar. Anyways I asked him what parts would run to hold 800 rwhp since I will prob only end up seeing 7xx and 6xx by the time I max it out....and the total came out to $19xx with some good stuff.

Diamond Pistons Dished
Eagle Rods
Katech Bolts
Cleavite Mains and Bearings
Rings
etc etc.....Its not the best of the best, but it will hold beautifully. And if you can drop the motor yourself and just have your crank balanced and a key machined you will be fine. The main thing I will be needing is a good set of heads from either TF or AFR and they cost more than that. Now if you are going to have to pay labor to have it all done, then yeah your gunna be looking at around 2k id assume to have it all worked in. I hear that the fuel lines need to be swapped for braided ones at 700 as that near the bursting point. just my 0.02. thats what im going to do. and bob and procharger recommend diamond too. and that was a 9:5: compression too so you can run pump gas.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:35 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm still weighing all my options, but leaning towards just having my stock block and crank reused with a set of forged pistons and rods with good hardware, specifically rod and main bolts and bearings.

Whatever I do will depend on what I find next weekend when I pull the head. I'm hoping for some luck and won't find a cracked block or damaged head.

One thing I did notice after it happened was oil pressure was fine, and the coolant stayed clean. So who knows, maybe I dodged a bullet.

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
Alchemist. I called Speed Inc the other day, knowing that I will be going through this too in the future even at 8lbs. I too wanna keep my stock cubes and will one day built another 6 speed car 370 with Unleashed's new oilless turbo or something similar. Anyways I asked him what parts would run to hold 800 rwhp since I will prob only end up seeing 7xx and 6xx by the time I max it out....and the total came out to $19xx with some good stuff.

Diamond Pistons Dished
Eagle Rods
Katech Bolts
Cleavite Mains and Bearings
Rings
etc etc.....Its not the best of the best, but it will hold beautifully. And if you can drop the motor yourself and just have your crank balanced and a key machined you will be fine. The main thing I will be needing is a good set of heads from either TF or AFR and they cost more than that. Now if you are going to have to pay labor to have it all done, then yeah your gunna be looking at around 2k id assume to have it all worked in. I hear that the fuel lines need to be swapped for braided ones at 700 as that near the bursting point. just my 0.02. thats what im going to do. and bob and procharger recommend diamond too. and that was a 9:5: compression too so you can run pump gas.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by C5kid
^^^ A_VAS has a 416 LS3 w/ a 24x reluctor ring. For what he is asking it would almost be the same as doing a forged 347, but this is a forged 416, be a great torque monster and you wouldn't need alot of boost.

Shoot me a PM if you want a phone #, he is kinda busy right now cause he just bought a new house and hasn't been on the forum too too much.
I was going to say the same thing. Andy put together my 408 stroker a few weeks ago. I believe that 416 might be from the same guy who I bought my magnacharger from.
Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
I would look at TSP or Thompson motorsports. Thompson has some killer deals on shortblocks. You may want to look at building it from you block if its still ok. I found it alot cheaper to use the block I have, I had an oiling issue.
I wouldn't recommend going with TSP. Crappy customer service. They're nice to you when you're buying something but when they screw something up they aren't the type to own up to the mistake.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I got my shortblock assembled and shipped for 4000.
-6.0L iron block
-Compstar Rods
-Compstar Crank
-Custom made Diamond Pistons with moly coated side skirts
-ARP main studs
The shipping was from around Chicago to VA. You just have to find a good company that has fair pricing.