Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Race going down...EVO MR vs. My WS6

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 02:18 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Race going down...EVO MR vs. My WS6

I go to Baran Institute in Windsor, CT. There's quite a few morons down there that think their cars are pretty mean. I've been called out by an 04/05? EVO MR. Says he wants to race for a $1G. I said yeah sure anyday of the week. So within 2 weeks this should be happening.

Car is lightly modded....
3" Catless Exhaust from turbo back
boost controller set @22psi
some kind of fuel management setup so he says. No injectors, fuel pump, etc.

My buddy had all the same stuff done to his '03 I think it was Vischnu S2? MR is a bigger turbo and aluminum roof from what my buddy tells me. His car was good for a 13.0 at the track. I saw him run 13.1+s all day at Epping. He's a REALLY good driver. He's also got an oldschool E30 BMW 325is running 13.0s on the bottle, it's an SCCA car...

OK, so here's where it gets funny. He's claiming times of 12.9 stock, 12.5 as it sits. I say BS. I've since nicknamed the kid "Michael Schumacher." He's never been to the track "but is confident it what it runs" so he says. You can't claim times when you've never brought it to the track....typical ricer.

I say a high 12 maybe possible, but there's no way it will pull a 12.5 What do you guys think? The race is going down no matter what, I'd just like to hear what you guys think. I raced my buddies '03 Evo and beat him by a good ways. This will probably go down on the street, so I'll have to take off the iForged bling and throw on the BFG DRs.

Mods currently installed on my car:
LS1 Motorsports Lid + Holley filter
Grantelli MAF
KOOKs 1 3/4" stainless LTs, w/ 3" catted Y pipe
Hooker CB
Pro 5.0 Shifter
a lot of other stuff...but nothing really performance related.

I ran a 12.8 at Epping @113. I KNOW there's more left in the car, but I've only been to the track 3 times or so, obviously with more practice and with that MPH, I could go faster. I'd say I've got this one in the bag, I'm pretty decent at launching the car on the street. I'm going to try and get someone to tape it when/where it goes down.

Screw Jap Crap
Old 03-05-2005, 02:23 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Here's my dyno sheet from a couple years ago. This was lid/catback and GMAF only.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...95605249tcsHmN
Old 03-05-2005, 05:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See if you can get him to go from a roll just to be safe. He'll take you out of the hole without a problem.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:55 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

See if you can wait a month or so on this. I'll have my car back from Eastside, and should be a good 400rwhp and have a 12 bolt w/ 4.10's.. and I'll toss on the slicks and skinnies.... if you lose.. I'll run him, see if I can get you your $$ back.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your at a 50/50 on that race.It's not a sure win for you.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly that evo can do low 12's with a good driver if it is tuned well better be smart.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd finish up the bolt ons and get a cam or nitrous before running him. You have too little mods to be confident in this race in my opinion.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:44 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Out of the hole, I definately think he'll have me. It isn't all that easy to launch those cars though. My buddy blew his front and center diffs at the track with just a few 5500RPM clutch dumps. $7k later those were fixed, and he blew the rear diff. On his 3rd clutch I might add, within 25k miles.

This kid said his clutch was on the way out, which makes me wonder what the hell he's been doing. It's a brand new car.

I doubt this car can go low 12s. Highly doubt as a matter of fact. My buddies was one of the faster ones I had seen at Epping. This MR is lighter, has a 6 speed, etc. So I say it may go high 12s. This kid can't drive though, I know a couple guys that work at Mustangs Unlimited in Manchester. This kid with the Evo got smoked by one of them, and then had his buddy drive the car to race a WRX and won that race. I'm not sure what the mods were on the WRX, I think it was a low 13 second car as well.

I got some cash sitting around. I blew $3500 on a full LG Motorsports suspension setup during that holiday sale. That doesn't help me much, so I'm not going to install it yet.

I'm thinking I need a nice cam to be all set. Then head to eastside perf. or DEZ for a tune. F14 maybe, or a G5X3...

Gimme some feedback brothers...
Old 03-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Race your car!

Before you go buying that cam... talk to Eastside. Ken can probably steer you in a better direction. If you want, give me a call in a few weeks, I should have my car back with the cam and rear done, I'll take you for a ride in it.

I'd hold off on that race too... at least find a little more out. And if you were looking to get a cam like real soon, I'll take ya for a ride in my car when it't done, see what you think of it.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

that evo is no joke.... the MR's are weight reduced too...

good luck
Old 03-05-2005, 04:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would say for a grand get yourself a wet kit with all the goodies and collect...head to head as it stands like stated he should have you out of the hole though you "should" top end him if you trap 113. I'd spray to be safe though and if ya win you can pay for it with the cash hehe FREE NITROUS
Old 03-05-2005, 05:01 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I'd hold off on that race too... at least find a little more out. And if you were looking to get a cam like real soon, I'll take ya for a ride in my car when it't done, see what you think of it.
That sounds pretty cool man, how far is Ellington from Windsor? I've yet to ride in a cammed LS1 car, I'd like to see how hard it pulls.

Originally Posted by Eric L
that evo is no joke.... the MR's are weight reduced too...

good luck
Yeah I think it's around 300 pounds lighter then the regular EVO8 with the aluminum roof and whatever else Mitsu changed.

Originally Posted by foff667
i would say for a grand get yourself a wet kit with all the goodies and collect...head to head as it stands like stated he should have you out of the hole though you "should" top end him if you trap 113. I'd spray to be safe though and if ya win you can pay for it with the cash hehe FREE NITROUS
Eh, I think with a decent cam and tune I should definately take him. I'm planning on going cam only with this engine anyway.

As soon as I get out of school, I plan on going with a much more serious setup. Billingsley FAB 9", Mark Williams CF driveshaft, and a big cube turbo motor.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you ever bring your car into the danbury CT area this spring/summer, let me know because I'll be around there picking on the ricers
Old 03-05-2005, 05:17 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by freakynipples69
If you ever bring your car into the danbury CT area this spring/summer, let me know because I'll be around there picking on the ricers

Where's Danbury, must be pretty close to NY? I've been meaning to head over that way. I probably will come spring time. I know some people over at Speed Technik and I've been meaning to check the place out. They are in Norwalk, is that in the same area?
Old 03-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

I am getting an evo soon and I have been doing some research, should be a good race...I hate cocky people though.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Also, if he has a GOOD turbo back and a reflash on the comp he could be running mid 12's, so find out everything you can before you run him.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:43 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

It's a decent car, pretty impressive no doubt about that. He talked **** to me first however, this has been going on for a couple weeks now, so I plan to end it.

Best time I've seen so far with his mods on some of the EVO boards is about a 12.7 intake, boost controller, exhaust...

Apparently "WS6s are slow, and has seen GTIs beat them." This kid has no idea what hes talking about. I've raced a pretty sick turbo GTI in this area and walked on him from a light, and a roll. He's the one talking out his ***, hopefully I can straighten him the hell out.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Yeah I think it's around 300 pounds lighter then the regular EVO8 with the aluminum roof and whatever else Mitsu changed.
its only 25 lbs less than normal EVO's:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...5/article.html

Between the wheels and the roof, the MR weighs in about 25 pounds less than a standard model

with full bolt-ons and 4.10's and DR's, you should be able to get a 12.0 if you powershift. although a different type of contest, i beat every modded EVO at the last autocross (class A):
http://www.themclub.net/2005/results/WXRES_021305.htm

they ain't all that. although i would love one for a daily driver. good luck.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Race your car!

Ellington is about 20 min from windsor, depending on where. P.m. me with a phone #, I'll give you a call.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:32 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Well there you go, more BS from his mouth. I was going to say 300lbs. is a hell of a lot of weight to shed..

It is a pretty sick daily driver. That's what my buddy used it for, but he beat **** out of it so it didn't last. I could never get comfortable in the car though. I don't know what it is about it.

Thanks for wishing me luck...I'll probably need it. I've got faith though, if I throw an F14 in the car before the race I'm gaurantee I'll take the win though