Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Lexuz ls400 '91-'94

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexuz ls400 '91-'94

Hey, I currently have a '97 Grand Prix GT for a daily driver. Unfrotunately it's beginning to nickel and dime me to death with stupid problems. Now I know the 3800 series II engine/drivetrain is usually bullet proof, but I;'m just getting tired of all the little things that keep cropping up.

Anyways, I've heard that the lexus ls400 from 91-94 are unbeleivably solid cars. I also heard that 1993 ls400's are the best years for some odd reason. Is this true? Also, are the ls400's dependable, reliable cars? Is it even worth it to get another used car or should I just stay with the Grand Prix? I Just think maybe I'll have different luck with another car.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Toyota is just reliable...an LS is the highest model so I'm sure they didn't cut any corners. But with used cars you need to expect something to go wrong.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

I agree with LoudmouthLT1.. my dad had a '97 ES300 and then a '99 GS300 which was simply unbelievable.. now my aunt has a '02 LS400 and trust me.. this is one of the most comfortable, quiet, and reliable car out there !! The ride is so smooth and quiet.. at times I wonder if the car is on and running or just stopped!!

If the price is right, and the car's in good shape... buy it!!
Old 06-24-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Oh and I also have a '99 GP-GT that's going either for sale or traded in for something muchh better...

Also had a '99 GTX [L67] that I sold for this LS1 beast
Old 06-24-2005, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah I know that it'll be a used car as well, and be pushing 11-14 years depending on what year I get, but it just seems that the GP is always coming up with something that needs to be fixed or replaced. Since I heard the LS400's were extremely reliable, I just thought I'd throw this out here. Probably be just cheaper to stick with the GP, I do love it as a daily driver, but it is gettin tiresome.
Any other alternatives out there?
Old 06-24-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Other cars.. umm if you gimme a price range I could make better suggestions..

But, here goes, in no specific order..

1 - Accord [ they go on forever.. just like the Camry.. but boring design]
2 - Avalon [ has the same motor as the Lexus ES 300 ]
3 - Caddy Catera [ awesome car!! and quite inexpensive ]
4 - Mazda Millenia ... Torqueless luxury car .. can be had for a very low price.. I found one around my place for $5500 with 53K miles and loaded with sunroof, leather, bose stereo, abs, bla bla.. it was a '99 and owned by an older lady who bought a new Maxima.. Don't bother with the Millenia-S [Supercharged] .. it's not worth it..
5 - VW Passat ... nice reliable cars.. but leg room is so so ..
6 - Audi A4s [ don't even bother with the used 1.8t ones.. ]
7 - Lincoln Continentals... love'em! [even though it's a ford ] .. had a 94 and it rocked!
8 - ' 97 - 99 Lexus ES 300 ... VERY smooth cars.. but no torque!

I could recommend some more if I knew your preference... I've been thru a **** load of cars in my 25 yrs of life lol...
Old 06-24-2005, 05:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by RahuL
you sure about that? there cheap because nobody wants them. worst POS gm ever imported if you ask me . every single one we get in at the dealer has tons of issues if we dont just ship them back to the auction .
not to mention a bitch to work on too. ask any caddy tech about one and see what they say when you just mention the word "catera"
Old 06-24-2005, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

4 - Mazda Millenia ... Torqueless luxury car .. can be had for a very low price.. I found one around my place for $5500 with 53K miles and loaded with sunroof, leather, bose stereo, abs, bla bla.. it was a '99 and owned by an older lady who bought a new Maxima.. Don't bother with the Millenia-S [Supercharged] .. it's not worth it..
7 - Lincoln Continentals... love'em! [even though it's a ford ] .. had a 94 and it rocked!

I could recommend some more if I knew your preference... I've been thru a **** load of cars in my 25 yrs of life lol...
Here is my dilemma, I'm not looking to spend big bucks, which could entail more problems down the road just like my GP. I bought the GP 2 years ago for $6k. I'll be looking to spend less than that, probably $3500-5000 unless I can find a great deal on something else cheaper. I'm just trying to find something on the cheaper side that should be reliable. I know, probably not realistic but figured I'd ask.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
you sure about that? there cheap because nobody wants them. worst POS gm ever imported if you ask me . every single one we get in at the dealer has tons of issues if we dont just ship them back to the auction .
not to mention a bitch to work on too. ask any caddy tech about one and see what they say when you just mention the word "catera"
The one I leased [ 2 yrs ] had no major issues at all, and was a pleasure to drive... so my opinion is based on that ..
Old 06-24-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Smile

Originally Posted by Last of a Breed
Here is my dilemma, I'm not looking to spend big bucks, which could entail more problems down the road just like my GP. I bought the GP 2 years ago for $6k. I'll be looking to spend less than that, probably $3500-5000 unless I can find a great deal on something else cheaper. I'm just trying to find something on the cheaper side that should be reliable. I know, probably not realistic but figured I'd ask.
You can def get a Millenia for around $4500-$5k [maybe less] or a Camry [but with high mileage] ...

Or, you could buy domestic [Mazda is also semi-domestic - owned by Ford, parts/assembled 95% in Japan, iirc]

Used domestics are just as good as our Grand Prixs... Just stay away from older Dodge and Cryslers

How about another, newer, Grand Prix GT ? unless you must have something different... Or, Buick GS ..

The older Lincolns [94 - 97 or so] can be had well within your budget and they go on forever!!..

Speaking from experience, Fords are more reliable when it comes to buying used cars over GM.. Again, this has been my experience.. not making a general statement.. I've found them to be better built and more reliable overall..

Also does it have to be Auto ?

The used-car market is HUGE right now.. check out Autotrader
Old 06-24-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

If you're interested in a Trans Am I'd be willing to work out a partial trade for your grand prix Either last of a breed or rahul.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

I would say any Honda, Toyota, or Nissan. I had a 98 Nissan Maxima and absolutely loved it. Good power and fuel economy. And you can get them for a decent price. I kick myself in the a$$ for getting rid of it. But I had to, to get the Z. I have heard by numerous people that Lexus is one of the most reliable cars out there.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

I'm just looking for a good, reliable car that has enough performance (the more the better) to get out of it's own way. I was thinking of maybe Cadillac Eldo's or STS's as well. I don't know, maybe it'll be better sticking with the GP. Another used car could have more problems.

Off hand, any one know how much an AC condensor is for a '97 Grand Prix? What the dealer is quoating me is ridiculous.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

A/C condensor is a few hundred I believe. Theres a website that sells GM parts at almost wholesale. Not a sponser so I can't link parts direct is in the name just fill in the companies 2 letter abbriviation before
Old 06-26-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
Yeah, Catera's are aweful. My step-brother had one. He had so many electronic issues with it, he ended up donating it.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd stay away from the VW, Audi, and Lincoln....

Can't go wrong with an older Camry, Accord etc.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

What about mid 90's BMW's? Are they reliable, or gonna be expensive if something goes?