Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Stuck in the 13's

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down Stuck in the 13's

Hi guys & girl.

I went to NED tonight & I was a bit disappointed.
I put the ET street (26x10.5) up to 20 psi, got used to the less "swervy-ness" of them & tried to break in the 12's with now luck.
I actually got a better 60's, 2.0 vs 2.1 on the 315's, but my ET instead of getting better than 13.2 hovered at 13.3!

I did as Don told me far as launching, obviously since I got better 60's, & I shifted at 6K just hitting 4th as I passed the traps.

So what did I do wrong or did the weather, even though it was night, have a hand with my crappy ET's?
BTW, I've attached the best ET skip & the pic of that run. You can see by the way the car went up that it hooked fairly well.
I've also attached my old time slip for comparison.
Obviously tonight slip I'm in the left lane since the pic matches the slip, & in the 1st time slip I'm the right lane car.
Attached Thumbnails Stuck in the 13's-launch.jpg   Stuck in the 13's-timeslip.jpg   Stuck in the 13's-13secslip2.jpg  
Old 07-21-2005, 04:38 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You ever weigh the car? What did the car dyno, maybe it's not making the needed power to run 12's at your weight. Is there anything done to the suspension yet, maybe there's something there that's not right. With the mods that I know you did to your car (full exhaust, lid, clutch, anythign I'm missing?) it isn't trapping all that great mph wise, when I had those same mods on my car I was trapping in the high 107's... somewhere it seems to be missing 2 mph.

Put a pulley and a ported TB on the car, and get under he car, and gut eery heat shield off, remove the spare and jack, 1/4 tank of gas, all the glove box and any other crap you might have out, panhard support bar out, air system out, drain all the fluid out of the windshield wash bottle, and go run the car again. If you are on the stock rear, I'd be careful with the e.t. streets, but if you are feeling brave, air them to 18 psi, and launch that car at 5 grand... the 60 should drop to the 1.8's or better.. that alone will get you there. I think I'm going to LVD with Mark saturday to watch the star trek festival, I mean turbo dodge cars go... if you don't have anything going on, try to make it out to get in a couple passes at a differnet track maybe. I'm no expert, but maybe I can watch, see if there's something happening that you don't realize.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:28 AM
12 Second Club

Jason, you must not be able to read a time slip or understand what I'm asking.

I dropped a tenth on average with my 60' on all of my runs with the ET streets set at 18 PSI over my regular street tires so I should have dropped 2 tenths on average on the top end but I didn't.

I should gave gone from 13.2 to at least a 13.0 yet the car actually averaged .05 slower.
BTW, with street tires I was trapping 107.
My mods are headers, 3" no cat exhaust, lid, ported TB, LS6 intake & a Don tune.
It's running right & yes, a high 12 is definitely in it, I just can't drive.

I have to work Sat & Sun so no track time this weekend for me.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Butch: 2 things. The bias-ply ET Streets will always mph less than a radial tire--either street or drag radial tire. The humidity was probably relatively high last night, and third, there's relatively little or no track prep on street nights at NED... 5k rpm launches will make short life out of your 10 bolt...Cooler weather and better air will probably get you your 12 sec. slip on some fall Saturday morning.... Best wishes. WJ
Old 07-21-2005, 06:32 AM
Race your car!

e.t. streets are a bias ply tire, therefore actually have more drag. I'm guessing that the car bogged more with those tires on then it does with the street tires. If the car has traped in the 107's then it sounds like that is about right. Typicially, a car will lose mph when going to a slick from a street tire because of the added drag that a soft marshmello fo a tire will have, but the gains in the traction are usually more then enough to offset the big end losses. My guess is that you are not launching the car hard enough to take full advantage of what that tire will really get you, and the car is bogging about 80 feet out, like most m6 cars do unless you really leave like crazy. I know when I ran my car this past spring, I really had to come out hard to get the car up on the tire and not bog, too bad that LVD allows the water dragger FWD cars to run on both lanes, as the starting line was about as wet as the burnout box was after my first pass..... between that and me not getting the tires hot enough resulted in a spin me silly 60 foot that's in my sig. My guess, you are either still spinning which is why you aren't seeing a larger 60 foot increase then you are, either because of track prep, suspension, or not enough heat in the tire, and the drag of the tire is causing more of a loss then you are gaining from the 60 foot.

And for what it's worth, the timeslips are a little hard to read. I figure the car is running fine, not sure what kind of power it made, just that with the stick and a near factory weight, they are really hard to get to run what the e.t. calculator says they should run... I'm still about .2 off what it says I should be running (12.2) but I know that is all in the first 330 because of traction, as the mph was dead on.. at least when the car still weigh'ed 3780 with me in it.. won't be even close to that next time it gets run, that I am sure of. the pile of parts in my dad's shed is proof of that
Old 07-21-2005, 06:52 AM
12 Second Club

make sure you get all the weight you can like floor mats, spare tire, trunk divider, stuff in the trunk glove box and center console.

When was the last time you had your air fule checked?

the da was 1200 last night.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put the psi to 14 do a nice burnout for 8 seconds roll out of the burn out. rev to 4500 drop/slip the clutch keep the foot to the floor and shift the gears all will be well.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also how much gas that is in the car makes a huge difference.

BTW-the left lane sucks for traction.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Don't worry ButchN your not the only one... I'm still stuck in the 13's.... But I'm still stock for the most part...
Old 07-21-2005, 09:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds to me like you need to launch harder and at LEAST get some 1.8's. Them tires can handle it so go for it!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:18 AM
CT Hotness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

humidity is a big one too, and its been really humid the last couple days, makes it harder for the car to breathe. nothing you can do about that
Old 07-21-2005, 09:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your also talking about may vs. july air...you probably picked up at least a couple of mph if you factor that in...do you have a shift light? Consistancy in shifting can be key in manual cars as well. As far as tire pressure goes you want them to be air'd up to the highest point while getting traction...so if your spinning at 20psi put them to 18 then 16 or wherever you start to just hook completely with little to no tire spin...this is so you get the least amount of rolling resistance and will trap the highest this way. And yes 5k launches will kill the 10 bolt in quick work usually.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

BUTCH nice ET's good job. this looks to be a atmospheric issue, your car did better off the line but fell over a tiny little bit more due to bad air, my guess. dont sweat it you have a 12 second in your future as is. just get back w/ the dew point at least 25 degrees below outside air temp and you'll have it.

tomorrow (7-23) might be a good day, it will be hot but not too bad humidity at LVD, meet us there we have sodas and bbq for the whole crew. be great to see you and that super-clean WS6 there. 12's will be available for your taking......
Old 07-22-2005, 04:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Good air coming for Sat. and Sun., Butch, although you really should be looking for 60 degree weather or lower, plus the good, low humidity air to get you that 12.99 or even a little better. NED is at least 1/10th quicker than LVD, due to the closeness to sea level and the far superior-prepped track on a Sat. or Sun. at NED. My guess is still you'll see a 12 with your current setup at NED on some Sat. morning test & tune come Sept. when it's real cool and the air is real dry...The weather we've been experiencing really sucks for drag racing. Period. Best wishes. WJ
Old 07-22-2005, 10:02 PM
Teching In

something dont seem right,
I did 13.2 @ 108, bone stock with just a borla cat back. (02 SS m6)
You sould be in the 12's without even trying w/ headers and a tune.
I dynoed at 327rwhp 337rwtk at the time untuned and 5000mi on the clock.
What was your dyno no's?
Old 07-22-2005, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

i feel ur pain man. 13.01 at 104..... god damn weather and test and tune nights at LVD dont go well with each other
Old 07-23-2005, 07:17 AM
Race your car!

Erik, you're back.. call me today. I got an operation I'm doing on my car, and I need someone to give me a hand.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

try a short belt mod and pulling out the air filter. Just pulling out my airfilter I saw .2 tenths and 2mph gain.. car was running consistent 13.6@104 I pulled the filter and went 13.4@106 went back with a cutout and shortbelt mod and ran 13.1@108. This was on a bonestock car..
Old 07-23-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The weather is a big problem at this time of the year but your MPH is way down so I would start by trying to figure out why. Also what WJ said about the tires is true but I think you should be running around 112 mph. A couple of things you might want to try are.

1. Make sure the car is cool and dont let it run in staging. Dont even let it run before the burnout. HEAT IS BAD!
2. stage as shallow as you can,Its worth a tenth.
3. Just because you have ET streets doesn't mean your car will like a "clutch drop". You might still have to ride it out to keep the motor alive.
4. If you have enough traction keep your foot in it when you shift and shift it 4 to 500 rpms above peak power.
5. Make sure you have good gas in it especially if you still have the knock scensors in it.

Good luck and for what its worth ,my 01 ws6 with just a filter,lid,translator and mac headers ran 12.46 @114 on regular radials @ full weight and with the stock cat back. It just takes seat time and practice. I have made over 1200 passes down the track.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:35 PM

Just seat time. I was where you are. It just takes time getting use to the car. Cooler weather in the fall will also help. NED is also a faster track then LVD. Sat & sun Test& tunes are best.