Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

nj resident, got speeding ticket in staten island

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ticket in staten island?????????????

well i was driving to staten island from newjersey in my moms car, i was on rt 440 which is the staten island expressway when all of a sudden i see a cop hidding on the side next to a small over pass, so i hit the brakes a little and then he jumps out of the corner and pulls me over. the thing is that i wasnt really speeding and i had my radar detector on the whole time and it never picked anything up. so he comes over to me and asks for my license and registration, he asked if i knew why i was pulled over and i said no and he said i was doing 70 in a 55 and i knew that was bull since his radar wasnt on, then he tells me that i have a working radar in the car and i tell him i know and that it didnt pick anything up and i wasnt speeding, well he just went back to the car, he comes back with a ticket, i asked him if i can get a print out of how fast i was going and he told me no and that if i wanted to see it i would have to go to court, he was being such an *******, so i tried asking him a question and he kept walking away and he said that he couldnt hear me and just took off. on the ticket it says 70 in a 50 working zone, which is another bull since there was no signs for work zone and they usually are 45 not 50. what should i do. this is my first speeding ticket and i dont want my insurance to go up. should i plead not juilty and hope he doesnt show up at court, and does it make a difference if i live in nj and got a ticket in ny. please help me out guys!!!!
Old 10-18-2005, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Well for starters I dont think points carry over state to state, but they could since staten island is close, Im not sure, maybe someone can clear that up.

Its worth a shot if you have time to fight it in court, get some kind of documentation if it was an actual work zone or not that day, and see if you can get the print-out at your court date.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

I know that if a New Yorker gets a ticket in NJ that the points definitely don't carry over. I'm sure it's the same way the other way around. You could probably find that on NJ's DMV website. Definitely plead not guilty. Worst case scenario you'll probably get it reduced to a less severe offence or it may be dropped all together.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya but if you live an hour or more away and have to take work off to take care of this it starts to become a hassle. GL though

John
Old 10-19-2005, 07:14 AM
12 Second Club

Points def carry over from state to state especially from pa, nj, ny, you should check the NJState website to be sure though
Old 10-19-2005, 07:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Out of state ticket for NJ drivers is 2 points. Some states don't notify the driver's home state of a ticket. NY and NJ DMV are linked
Old 10-19-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea they are linked so nj will know about it.. Fight it and try to prove the cop was wrong by showing(with pics) that there was no work zone. You might be able to prove the cop just gave you a ticket and also talk about how you wanted to see his radar read out and he said no...You might be able to beat the ticket then but a worst case would be a speeding ticket reduced by 5mph if you prove there was no work zone.. You do have to factor in how far away you are,time off of work vs the cost of the ticket/points on your licence as well as charges from you insurance company for the speeding ticket... on a side note if you have to pay for the ticket its now on your reccord and when you get pulled over the next time cops wont resist in giving you another ticket since your reccord is not clean..
Old 10-19-2005, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

My brother's gotten like 3 speeding tickets in NJ and has never had any of the points carry over. According to the NY DMV website, points do not carry over from any other state (except for Ontario and Quebec for some reason)
.http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/dmvfaqs.htm#tickets
I'm sure if the two states were linked, then it would work both ways. But a NY driver getting a ticket in NJ definitely does not get any points.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Banned

If you are licensed NY driver, you do not receive points from a NJ ticket.

If you are a licensed NJ driver, you do receive 2 points from any point violation ticket in NY.

Ya, it's better to be from NY and get a ticket in NJ... You guys have heftier fines than we do though !

Quick Reply: nj resident, got speeding ticket in staten island