Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

NH guys with tinted windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NH guys with tinted windows

Sup my situation is that I have a NH registered truck but I am using it in MA this winter. I know the MA laws and I know the NH laws are; no driver or passenger tint but rear windows have to be 35%. Having a pickup in NH there is an exception, read this in them official state sites which have $10 words and just confuses readers and I am pretty sure it is 15% since factory tints are like that. Am I correct or do they enforce it strictly in NH?

In other words can I have 15% tint in the cab windows and back window legally?
Old 12-29-2005, 07:57 PM
Launching!

are you asking about MA laws or NH laws? In MA 35% is the limit all the way around. MGL CH. 90 SCT. 9D,
(4) the use of nontransparent or sunscreen material or window application which has a total visible light reflectance of not more than thirty-five per cent or a visible light transmittance of not less than thirty-five per cent on the side windows immediately adjacent to the right and left of the operator's seat, the side windows immediately to the rear of the operator's seat and the front passenger seat or on the rear window if the vehicle is equipped with two outside mirrors, one on each side, adjusted so that the driver has a clear view of the highway behind the vehicle

(5) the use of any transparent material limited to the uppermost 6%2D along the top of the windshield, provided such strip does not encroach upon the driver's direct forward viewing area as more particularly described and defined in applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

(6) a vehicle registered in another state, territory or another country or province.

(7) the use of nontransparent or sunscreen material, window application, reflective film or nonreflective film used in any way to cover or treat the side windows immediately to the rear of the operator's seat and the front passenger seat and the rear window so as to make such window glass areas in any way nontransparent or obscured from either the interior or exterior thereof of a private passenger motor vehicle registered under the provisions of this chapter for public livery and hired for that purpose for any period of time which exclusion shall not include a taxicab.

Here is the whole CH. and SCT. you can read, http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-9d.htm As far as I know(which isnt much) the only exception would be factory tinted glass.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm asking about NH laws. I know the MA laws, the TA is tinted 35% all around. I also heard, in MA, you can tint front sides to 35% but the back windows on a four door or a pickup with a cab you can do 5%.

Great research I appreciate it. I know I can't tint my side windows in NH unless I have a medical waiver and I am healthy so tinting my side windows on the NH truck is out of the question. My question now what is the darkest I can do the rears? I read that it is 35%, for the rears, on the NH state website but the guy at the detailers shop said I can get away with 15% in the rears, since new cars and trucks come with pre-tinted windows from the factory. Is this true? I mean if my side windows can't be tinted I minus well go the darkest on the rears. Plus I need it for my kids they complain about the sun. So let me know.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Check out the forums over on officer.com, they have an ask a cop section and i know for a fact there is a few guys from NH, they should be able to help you out/point you in the right direction
Old 12-30-2005, 12:33 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tinted windows on the TA. I only run them on the windshield and rear hatch window though.

I'm planning on doing the sides, but it is tough to get away with.
I believe you are right, 35% is the legal limit.

I run 20% on my rear window, and 6-7" of the top of the windshield with no problems. In all honesty, I have my inspection license. I would most definately pass a truck with 20% tint on the rear windows. Cops aren't going to hassle you on tint for the most part, as long as the drivers/passengers windows aren't touched. If they see that, you are generally in the clear. The only reason I say generally, is because we all know there is always that one pissed off cop.

I think it's like a $72 dollar ticket though.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:03 AM
TECH Resident

35% is the legal, tint that comes on SUVs from the factory is exempt because well, it can't be changed. If it's aftermarket 35% is as dark as you can legally go. I've seen darker driving around so I'm guessing they won't just pull you over for tint but they may just find something else to nab you for then add the tint. This is what they told me at inspectors class anyways.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LoudmouthLT1
35% is the legal, tint that comes on SUVs from the factory is exempt because well, it can't be changed. If it's aftermarket 35% is as dark as you can legally go. I've seen darker driving around so I'm guessing they won't just pull you over for tint but they may just find something else to nab you for then add the tint. This is what they told me at inspectors class anyways.
tints one of those trump cards the police keep in their back pocket, they only tend to use when they are curious about other things.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I moved to NH from MA I had a grand national with a light tint on the driv and pass windows. I don't remember the %, but I couldn't find a station to pass it, Every place I went to said 'no tint at all' on driv or pass windows.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:49 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steves97z28
tints one of those trump cards the police keep in their back pocket, they only tend to use when they are curious about other things.
Exactly.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I am going to do 15% in the rears but leave the sides and windshield alone. I'm going to be using this Ranger, NH registered truck, in Boston but after April the truck is going back to NH and the TA comes back to Boston. We have a lakehouse in the Brookline, NH area and we have to throw our trash at the town dumpster and that is all it used for. I use it for Six Flags trips when more than three people come with me. It is much more comfortable that the TA.

So hopefully all goes well. Thanx for the replies