Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Anyone here from New Hampshire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here from New Hampshire?

I'm thinking about moving to New Hampshire soon, so naturally I have concerns.

Has anyone ever been to New England Dragway? It's the only one I can find online in NH. Is it a good track? How's the street racing scene? How are the smog laws?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

NED is decent, people have their complaints but it no different than anywhere else. I can't complain about it.

Street racing depends where you are. If your expecting to see 8 second cars running for $5K on the street, that's probrably not going to happen.

Emisions: They just started doing the OBD-II smog testing this year, but many small shops don't even bother. I have no problem getting a sticker on my car.

Overall, I don't find it a great place to live. What parts are you looking at?
Old 11-26-2006, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NH is the best state, live free or die, I am gonna live there someday, NED is alright
Old 11-27-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

I am going to college there at the moment, its pretty fun to cruise around manchester and mess with others that try to show off. F-Bodys are pretty rare as well, I have seen like two in the 5 months I have been here.

The only thing I dont like is the FROST and SNOW that will be touching my car soon. =(
Old 11-27-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Resident

You dare driving that beauty in the snow known as NH???
Old 11-27-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

The track is OK, weather BLOWS, and street racing in very rare, and crappy competition when it does happen.

What part of NH?
Old 11-27-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

The weather is fine, hell it's New England what do you guys expect??

It likes to rain on the weekend and on Wednesdays (NED is open Wed night, Fri night and Sat / Sun).
Old 11-27-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Racing scene in NH. You will see more bears than street races. I don't even think they have streets up there! It's a nice place if you want to relax and/or are an outdoorsman. Nice for ski'ers/boarders as well. If you want to see a street race you'll likely have to head out to the pike (interstate 90) in Mass. Even then, it's far and there are a TON of cops. If you're in northern NH you could try Quebec, as I here those Canucks are getting Fast and/or Furious.

Racing scene in New Hampshire....Hahahahahahahahaha
Old 11-28-2006, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

As far as the NH streetracing sceene goes, its usually a rotted out pick-up with a plow vs. a stock 1989 civic with a fart can.
There actually are a lot of fast cars here, mostly at NED though since its so convienent.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

WOW lets tear NH a new one thread!!! WERD! Anyway lets all get together and start street racing!!
Old 11-29-2006, 06:50 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive been to NED, its better then Lebenon Valley, so I think its awesome. All I know is the farther north I go the shorter my car season is. We complain in CT that you really cant start racing till the salt is off the road, and the winter could come in early nov or start late dec. Its all over the place. I mean when I didnt have a life and I was not into cars, that was cool. I played Everquest, but now I am, so the more good weather the better!
Old 11-29-2006, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

If I move there it'll be in the Keene area most likely.

I was figuring there was no street racing scene - at least not like here in CA. But NED is pretty close so it's all good.

So I gather that smog testing isn't a huge deal? My car will probably pass a sniffer but would never pass CA visuals.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wellthe you'll be right by 91 one of the best roads in the state. It's just like anyother street racing you take your chances. But on the other hand i can get up an down in 15secs.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by urbanhunter44
If I move there it'll be in the Keene area most likely.

I was figuring there was no street racing scene - at least not like here in CA. But NED is pretty close so it's all good.

So I gather that smog testing isn't a huge deal? My car will probably pass a sniffer but would never pass CA visuals.

Thanks for the info guys.
Smog test is no big deal. They just plug in a computer and check for any SES codes. No sniffer test. At many small shops a visual usually consist of checking the lights, brakes, and the horn. Look for small shitty shops or detail shops. I believe if the shop does less than 200 stickers a year they aren't reqiured to do OBD-II tests (that's how it was at first).
Old 11-29-2006, 11:38 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

NH sucks IMO. I can't wait to move.

On the other hand, I've been to a lot of states, and NH is no where near the bottom. Keene is a pretty quiet town, with Keene State Univ. being the only excitement there.

There are some awesome cruising roads up that way, I take my bike up there all the time.

They'll be cracking down on OBD II tests starting Dec. 1st. No sniffer test, but within the next 5 years, who knows. Visual can be pretty easy to pass. You could pass with LTs and high flow cats all day. An ORY can be kinda tough, but some may still get by at the small shops.

The OBD II test is nothing more than a code test. If you have a check engine light on, it will no longer let you pass. If it's emissions related, you'll have no more than 60 days to fix the issue.

Other than that, it's cold here, which is obvious. If you can deal with the cold, and the sometimes annoying amount of rain here, you're golden. Temps in the summer time are around 70-96 degrees. Usually somewhere in the 80 range.

I'm just sick of dealing with snow. No sales tax here, which is bad ***. I hate going to other states and seeing a sales tax on my receipt...
Old 11-30-2006, 06:17 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meh we have had ODB2 test for quite a few years, quite possibly the easiest to pass, the sniffer test is the ball buster
Old 11-30-2006, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

I've been in NH for over 3 years now. Nothing bad to say. No income tax, that rocks. Now if they would only bad smoking in restaurants, that would be amazing. Don't know much about keene since it's on the other side of the friggin earth. I stopped there once on my way to Springfield, MA. Scenic route.

OH, and street racing is gay. don't do that ****.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:03 AM
11 Second Club

I'm buying a house in pelham soon there a basically no gun laws, emissions what's that in NH. NED is my home track I race points there. There's good dyno shops there like performance dyno in concord. Every thing is relatively close too. Snowmobiling is great up hear etc..... You probably see a few daily driven 9 sec cars too.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

NH is nice,
you can go 4 wheelin' and snow mobiling. Great places to hunt/fish. The roads are actually decent. It's pretty quiet, nice scenery and not over crowded. I live about 30 min south on Keene near the MA border.

Put it this way, it's better to live in NH than MA.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98SS2836
I'm buying a house in pelham soon there a basically no gun laws, emissions what's that in NH. NED is my home track I race points there. There's good dyno shops there like performance dyno in concord. Every thing is relatively close too. Snowmobiling is great up hear etc..... You probably see a few daily driven 9 sec cars too.

there's actually a dyno in Pelham also. Basically a ricer dyno though.

Quick Reply: Anyone here from New Hampshire?