Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

.50 cals banned in NJ!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 04:08 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
Let me interrupt for a moment for my 3000th post
LOL, this brought to you by...stupidity...where only morons think citizens shouldn't be armed... I couldn't resist.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Teching In

I love the Automobile argument...I just never bought into it.

One the Firebird does serve a purpose...It is used for transportation and the extra horsepower is for fun but does serve a purpose.

A Guns sole purpuse is to Destroy/Kill... It is used for target practice, hunting and self-defense. All which includes destroying or killing...
Yes you can use a vehicle to murder or harm people but it isn't as effective as even a handgun. There is only so many things you can hit before your car becomes useless.
I haven't seen too many Automobile serial killers.
Hell the Long Island Railroad Gunmen could have used his Buick and waited outside the train to murder those people. I just don't think he would have been as effective.

Baseball Bats has killed more people than Handguns last year? Do you have any Statistics that back that up?

Illegal Weapons do come from some where...People just don't get them from thin air.
Many "Illegal Weapons" were bought legally from other states with lax Gun Laws.
Now I don't think Guns should be outlawed...
It is our right to bear arms...But I do believe in background checks and waiting periods.

But the question is when is it too much?
Maybe it's not a .50 Cal but when do we say that shouldn't be legal?
You can drive a 1000- horsepower "STREET LEGAL CAR" but you can't drive a Race Car on the street.
Should Law Rocket launchers be allowed as well, so we can blow up our backyard barns for ***** and giggles also?
Tech-9s and Saturday night specials were outlawed in NYC in the late 80's, by the the early 90's those kind of weapons were hard to find on the street.

Honestly I'm not sure where I stand on the .50 cal thing. I personally don't think there is a need for such a weapon. Yes some may say you take out more people with a gallon of gas...But a .50 cal in the wrong hands can do alot of damage.
Yes nothing like that has ever happened.

That's what they people would have said about people flying planes into builders before September of 2001.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sb427f-car

Bullshit...you don't pick battles, you fight all of them. That's the problem in this country, we have to be all compromising when there is really nothing to compromise over.

It is a PROVEN HISTORICAL FACT, that gun control is piecemeal (not all at once). Ask the Australians that would have said 5 years ago...ok, as long as you don't take away our target rifles.

Even you know as an ex-mil man there are more powerful loads than a 671 grained .50 BMG round. There are pleanty of grizzly killer .458 loads. Additionally, Barret has their good old .499, what's NJ going to do next...ban that?
Jersey needs all those big-load ammo and guns....****-load of Grizzlies down there, so please don't ban them! WJ
Old 03-06-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Demian

One the Firebird does serve a purpose...It is used for transportation and the extra horsepower is for fun but does serve a purpose.
And a geo metro would get you around just fine so why do you need the bigger car? Maybe government should take it since it can be a higher danger because it accelerates too fast and has a higher top speed. You pose a higher threat than a smaller weak car so maybe you should be forced to drive the metro so that the world is a safer place.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

.....And maybe people will start wearing white sheets and hoods w/holes cut out for the eyes again.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:07 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by Demian

Because the exess horsepower is "not nessecary". Remember, transportation is only about from point A to point B.

A Guns sole purpuse is to Destroy/Kill... It is used for target practice, hunting and self-defense. All which includes destroying or killing...
Yes you can use a vehicle to murder or harm people but it isn't as effective as even a handgun. There is only so many things you can hit before your car becomes useless.
True...but...the main issue is responsibility and trust, that and of course the texturalist vs. the progressive thought on the Constitution and it's Amendments.

I haven't seen too many Automobile serial killers.
NO...but I guess Jack the Riper didn't strangle his victims, the Zodiac killer didn't use a knife...

Baseball Bats has killed more people than Handguns last year? Do you have any Statistics that back that up?
If you look at what Tim said...it was baseball bats killed more people than .50 cal rifles. Don't forget...most gun statistics for homicide also include justifiables as well.

Illegal Weapons do come from some where...People just don't get them from thin air.
Many "Illegal Weapons" were bought legally from other states with lax Gun Laws.
This is a myth...plain and simple. Most illegally weapons are stollen or smuggled, NOT illegally sold.

Now I don't think Guns should be outlawed...
It is our right to bear arms...But I do believe in background checks and waiting periods.
I agree in 2/3 of this statement. Waiting periods are proven at preventing battered spouses in fear for their life from immediately buying a weapon. Chances are...premeditation in purchasing a firearm will not prevent someone that's completely off the radar (and passes their instant background check) from doing harm if they want.

But the question is when is it too much?
Maybe it's not a .50 Cal but when do we say that shouldn't be legal?
You can drive a 1000- horsepower "STREET LEGAL CAR" but you can't drive a Race Car on the street.

This has always been the argument...but when someone can show me a correlation between responsibly armed citizens (remember, some 80mil are armed in this country) vs. the amount of traffic accidents that are caused by excessive speed, gross negligence, intoxication, ect, then we can discuss "too much."

Should Law Rocket launchers be allowed as well, so we can blow up our backyard barns for ***** and giggles also?
Of course not...but that doesn't mean some kooked out farm who has nitrogen dioxide on his farm (fertilizer) and some No.2 diesel fuel might not make a bomb.

Tech-9s and Saturday night specials were outlawed in NYC in the late 80's, by the the early 90's those kind of weapons were hard to find on the street.
Lot of good that did until Guliani actually enforced the laws they had on the books and reduced crime.

Honestly I'm not sure where I stand on the .50 cal thing. I personally don't think there is a need for such a weapon. Yes some may say you take out more people with a gallon of gas...But a .50 cal in the wrong hands can do alot of damage.
Yes nothing like that has ever happened.
Fine that you don't know...just don't be so ignorant of what the facts of the situation are. More people have been killed by hand guns that are illegally bought sold (black market style) than a .50 BMG rifle on the street. I keep challenging people to find instances of legally, lawfully owened class 3 fully auto weapons used in the comission of a crime, but no one can point me to one specific instance. Nor can anyone make the .50 BMG instance here either.

Molitov cocktails, I gather, have killed many people and damaged much property in riots, and they're already considered "bombs".

Any gun in the hands of the wrong person can cause a lot of damage...just like a truck in the hands of a non-commercially liscenced driver, just like a kid without a liscence out for a joy ride with car. That means we should all sit with our feet glued in concrete because we "might" harm ourselves or each other? Sorry, I don't need anyone to protect me.

That's what they people would have said about people flying planes into builders before September of 2001.
You're right...that's what we said before 2001...big difference is...we thought there was enough security, people were pacifists when it came to terrorists on air planes, and the world played by "rules." Newsflash, let's just start taking away all our small arms one at a time, and when we do...we'll have muslum radicals parading in the streets much like London did on the night of 9/11 prazing allah and threatening the infedels.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:10 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
Jersey needs all those big-load ammo and guns....****-load of Grizzlies down there, so please don't ban them! WJ
Use some logic...oh that's right...the liberal mind doesn't have any. I'm sorry.

The point was smart guy (since you appear to be of sophistocated mind) that if the power of a .50 BMG is so "deadly" perhaps we should measure the energy in ft-lbs of every load and determine what's "reasonable." In that case...the .50 BMG would not be the 1st one on anyone's list.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any car that can go above the legal speed limit should be outlawed because they kill people, are just a novelty and are not needed.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
Any car that can go above the legal speed limit should be outlawed because they kill people, are just a novelty and are not needed.
Yup
Old 03-06-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
The point was smart guy (since you appear to be of sophistocated mind) that if the power of a .50 BMG is so "deadly" perhaps we should measure the energy in ft-lbs of every load and determine what's "reasonable." In that case...the .50 BMG would not be the 1st one on anyone's list.
THAT RIGHT THERE is they type of thinking scares the **** out of me. because once they start banning things they will use that type of reasoning to take away more and more freedoms and rights. O' wait its already happing thanks to the damn libs.

i predicting elevated amounts of violence during 08's presidential race. the last elections where getting kind of crazy with people vandalizing homes with signs out from supporting this side or that.

i'm just really ******* tired of politicians making up laws to "protect" us, when all they are doing is manipulating the system to their own crooked ends. That covers ALL politicians, demacratic and republican.

time for an ousting and a fresh start.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:41 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by -Freak-
THAT RIGHT THERE is they type of thinking scares the **** out of me. because once they start banning things they will use that type of reasoning to take away more and more freedoms and rights. O' wait its already happing thanks to the damn libs.

i predicting elevated amounts of violence during 08's presidential race. the last elections where getting kind of crazy with people vandalizing homes with signs out from supporting this side or that.

i'm just really ******* tired of politicians making up laws to "protect" us, when all they are doing is manipulating the system to their own crooked ends. That covers ALL politicians, demacratic and republican.

Not only that...but historically (past and present) that's how it is "reasoned."

I don't want to hear that "none of those countries had a garuntee or a 2nd Amendment" either...because, once the powers that be start...it goes to show, ultimately, its not about guns, it's about control.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

There's a Republican-sponsored bill out there right now that would make it illegal to drive a car while smoking, if you have a child 5 yrs. old or younger in the car. A cop will be able to pull you over, if he sees you're smoking and have a little kid as a passenger, will determine his/her age, and if he/she (cop) thinks the kid is 5 or younger, will write you a ticket. 1st offense=$25. Each offense after=$100 fine. After 3 offenses, they will draft you and send you to Iraq.....Got to replace those soldiers who're getting blown up over there on a daily basis now....(last part is fictional, but the beginning is true) What the hell is this world coming to? WJ
Old 03-06-2007, 06:01 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
There's a Republican-sponsored bill out there right now that would make it illegal to drive a car while smoking, if you have a child 5 yrs. old or younger in the car. A cop will be able to pull you over, if he sees you're smoking and have a little kid as a passenger, will determine his/her age, and if he/she (cop) thinks the kid is 5 or younger, will write you a ticket. 1st offense=$25. Each offense after=$100 fine. After 3 offenses, they will draft you and send you to Iraq.....Got to replace those soldiers who're getting blown up over there on a daily basis now....(last part is fictional, but the beginning is true) What the hell is this world coming to? WJ
Ok...what's the point of this?

There's pleanty of frivilious legislation out there. How about the democrat in NY State drafting a bill to outlaw use of cell phones and iPods in Crosswalks. Same thing really...the difference...the one is to protect the kid that doesn't have the choice from his parents...BUT, unfortunately, I'd oppose this bill you speak of as well...

Oh yeah...what's the HR or HB Number or a link?
Old 03-06-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by -Freak-
covers ALL politicians, demacratic and republican.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

After 3 offenses, they will draft you and send you to Iraq.....Got to replace those soldiers who're getting blown up over there on a daily basis now....(last part is fictional, but the beginning is true) What the hell is this world coming to?
funny but at the same time you make a good point

ultimately, its not about guns, it's about control.
i did some research once and there are major points that a communist regime does to control the people and you'd be surprised how many our government is either doing is is trying to do. i.e. gun control, slowly increasing taxation of the people, i.e.-the income tax is unconstitutional, started as the temporary "war tax" during WW2 and was never abolished...hhmm....

Last edited by z28convert; 03-06-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
a .50cal rifle is a 36+ lb rifle that can cost $4000+. every bullet is $3.
Try $8,000.00 MSRP
Old 03-06-2007, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

I don't even want to get to far into this.

I am also very pro-gun.

Let's just say it will be a sad day in this country when the only people who have firearms are the one's who obtain them illegally because the laws make it too hard or impossible to legally own one.

Law biding unarmed citizens vs criminals w/ guns, yeah it will be a craptacular place to live.

As far as a .50 cal goes, if you go about the proper methods of obtaining the correct license in the state and you have taken the correct safety training. Then by all means if that's what you want, knock your self out.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by z28convert
i did some research once and there are major points that a communist regime does to control the people and you'd be surprised how many our government is either doing is is trying to do. i.e. gun control, slowly increasing taxation of the people, i.e.-the income tax is unconstitutional, started as the temporary "war tax" during WW2 and was never abolished...hhmm....
Lets not omit wiretapping and other search and seizure acts without a warrant, which has been increased under Republican government...so don't think they care any more for your rights either.

As for gun control, I have no issue with people owning what they please responsibly. However I do think licensing and background checks are a perfectly sane and logical practice. I don't want the mentally unstable guy next door who spent 7 years in the loony bin being able to walk into Walmart and leave with an assult rifle.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Still the best country in the world!
Old 03-06-2007, 07:14 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Andrew
Still the best country in the world!