Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Exotic Car Driving Event Review (McLaren SLR, F430, Gallardo ect...)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exotic Car Driving Event Review (McLaren SLR, F430, Gallardo ect...)

I went out to Arizona for a much needed vacation last week. That was topped off with an exotic car drive that is done by World Class Driving (http://www2.wcdriving.com/). They hold these events all over the country. Sedona, AZ offers open roads and beautiful scenery so I chose that location for my event. Plus it was an excuse to get away!

There were 6 cars available to drive -

Ferrari F430
Lamborghini Gallardo
Ford GT
Porsche GT3
Mercedes SLR McLaren
Noble M400

The car that I've always wanted to drive is the SLR. I've liked it's styling since Mercedes released it a few years ago. That ends up being the most expensive car in the group. It carries a $480,000. price tag. Total cost of the group was $1.3 million. We had good roads for driving. They were traffic free so we could allow the cars to stretch their legs and the twisty roads gave us a chance to see how well they handled. I took notes for each vehicle so I could remember what I thought of them later -

As I mentioned, the McLaren SLR was my favorite going into the event. If I could only take the keys to one car this would have been it. This car has over 600hp and will see the other side of 200 MPH. I wouldn't say this is a good everyday car but it does get attention. It's awkward to enter and exit. The seats are very comfortable, big horsepower makes it very responsive and the steering is very touchy. The slightest movement of the wheel will turn this car.

If I had to pick a favorite car to drive it would be the Ferrari. First of all, you don't need a radio in this car. The only sound you need to hear is the 490hp V8 buzzing along at 7000+ RPMs behind you. That is an amazing sound! The handling, comfort and quality was A1 throughout this car. The paddle shifters made it fun to drive. After driving the SLR, this would be the one that I'd go for if I could have only drove one.

The Lamborghini Gallardo is also a comfortable car. It has a deeper sound than the Ferrari and also has a paddle shifter. Shifts were very crisp. This is another one that stuck to the road very well. The dead pedel was a little big and awkward but that would be my only complaint.

If I had to chose one of these cars for a daily driver this would be the one. Easy to get into and out of. It's light, nimble, powerful and has comfortable/supportive seats. Very high on the fun meter!

This car was easier to drive than I thought it would be. It's "basic" and the seats are ok. This gets the job done through. The 500hp V8 is topped with an Eaton style supercharger. This is another car that can see 200+ MPH.

This is the first time that I've seen or even heard of a Noble. It's brought into the country as a "kit car". You can pick engine that you want then. This one had a twin turbo V6 rated at 425hp. That made it the quickest car of the group. It only had to move about 2200lbs. Consider this a race car for the street. I found that to be true with the pedal placement. They are very tight! I kept rubbing the brake pedal when pressing on the accellerator. Made it a little uncomfortable to drive. This has to be an 11 second car through. The thing flys! Plus it handles like a go-cart. Retail price is supposed to be less than $100k.

A few other pics from the event -

We drove each car for about 15-20 miles. This was one of the "pit stops" to change drivers and take pics.

Nice action shot.

Just cruising along!

Sedona is beautiful! This was heading out from the Hilton.

The cost to do this was $1295. Was it worth it? Yes! I doubt there would be many opportunities to put a group of cars like this through the paces. The event staff is very nice, courteous and professional. Plus, they are car guys! Alot of them have professional racing experience throughout the world.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice review, nice cars, i like the lambo but deffinatly in a different color and non vert. the Porsche GT3 looks sweet and the ford gt i very nice also.. i wish they had cool things like that around here..
Old 05-14-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tom,

It sounds like you really enjoyed the event and got some quality R&R. I have been thinking of enrolling in one of these myself. I love my vette but I've considered a jump to a V8 Ferrari and I would like to "experience it" before I would ever plunk down a boat-load of cash. It would be a stretch for me to buy a F430 ($100K mark-up is way out of my league) but I have been thinking about a nice late model F360. The only other car that has caught my attention is the GT3 (at a much more reasonable price). I know that my practical side won't ever let me splurge for one of these beasts but it would be fun to "play the part" for an afternoon. But then again, there that haunting Ferrari wail I keep hearing in my dreams.....

Thanks for the post, Ken
Old 05-14-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99zman
nice review, nice cars, i like the lambo but deffinatly in a different color and non vert. the Porsche GT3 looks sweet and the ford gt i very nice also.. i wish they had cool things like that around here..

Actually, they do! This event travels around the US and it will be coming to VT and Newport soon. I can't see them having fun in Newport through. No where to open them up.

Ken: One of the guys mentioned that this was a nice test drive comparison. You usually can't even test drive cars like these unless you buy them (probably pay for them and then get the keys). I doubt any test drive would be as enjoyable as these were. The only car that was co-piloted by an event person was the SLR. They said the reason was "it's just to expensive". The GT3 would be a great driver. I'm usually not big on Porsches but I really had fun in that car!

They had a Z06 at least year's event. The cars are rotated every 6-9 months. They try to keep the newest models. They are working on adding a Ferrari 599 soon!
Old 05-14-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

that looks like a fun time!

Nice review Tom
Old 05-15-2007, 01:56 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

LOOKED LIKE A BLAST
Old 05-15-2007, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

That would be a vaction and a half for me Glad you had a blast and thanks for sharing your opinions and pics
Old 05-16-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Your very welcome! It was a very good and much needed vacation. Got out there at 2:30 and was sitting at my first major league baseball game a few hours later. Went on a bi-plane ride over Sedona the next day. I was supposed to play pilot after the sightseeing but I wasn't real comfortable in that plane so I was looking forward to getting back on the ground. Checked out Meteor Crator and went up the highest mountain in AZ on Thursday. Jeep tour through the canyons on Friday and then the driving event on Sat.

Only complaint was there isn't much nightlife there. It's not like going to Providence or Boston but I did find some local places that kept me entertained. People are friendly out there I keep thinking a life change and moving out there would be good.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:38 AM
mcG
TECH Resident

i always thought about renting an exotic on a vacation sometime, now i want to do it even more
Old 05-17-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Very cool. Nice set of cars. The guys at Gotham Dream cars do a similar thing in NY. I'll bet that SLR was fun to drive.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Teching In

The last time I was in New York, at Grand Central Station there was a raffle going on for a Gallardo. Tickets were $1000 each, with only 300 being sold. I was seriously tempted to pick up a ticket. It wasn't a ton of money, and the chance for winning was decent (better than the lotto!). Had it been an F430 instead, I probably would've done it...

I didn't know events like this existed. Thanks for the pics and descriptions. I'll definitely be on the lookout for something like this in my area.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

DUDE, that is bad ***! Do they have limitations on being able to drive them (I'm sure they do). Either way, that's a great idea for someone who will never be able to afford a 500k vehicle.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

They want you to drive safe and responsibly. Nothing out of control or reckless. They allow you to "experience the potential" of the cars if it is safe to do so Without giving alot of details about that on an open forum I'll just say it was well worth the $ The event location helps too. Alot more room to drive out there over doing this in VT. They'll be up there soon.

A 1 in 300 chance of winning isn't bad at all. Get a bunch of friends together and buy 25 tickets. Have an agreement that you each down 1/25th of the car and get to drive it at least 1 day a month.