Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Failed Emissions test

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Failed Emissions test

My car was throwing no codes, no SES light, but the fu***r used the sniffer anyways. My hydrocarbons (HC) were twice the passing limit. I went to the same place two years ago and passed with flying colors.
Anyone got any suggestions??? Can I go to a different station to have it checked???

BTW I have SLP LTs and Y-Pipe w/their hi-flow cats.

Thanks, Jim
Old 07-17-2007, 01:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tuned?
Old 07-17-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm wonder why he used the sniffer? Scanner is faster and less hassel, maybe his scanner was broken?

I am pretty sure you can go to another station but you have to pay again. The free retest is for the original place only.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Tuned?
Tuned by Eastside , so that's not the problem.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see the issue, bigish cam, highflow cats that I bet are probably not work as good as they did a year or 2 ago, they do degrade and break down and if tuned the procharger I bet is on the rich side. If they will allow a retest but scanable, then get all the codes out and make sure they stay out.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by 9T9BlueTA
hmm wonder why he used the sniffer? Scanner is faster and less hassel, maybe his scanner was broken?

I am pretty sure you can go to another station but you have to pay again. The free retest is for the original place only.
If the car has a scanning issue, code or otherwise it gets kicked to the roller, its reported to Agbar, or whatever company that reports to the DMV, this kid has an issue which needs to be fixed. Clearing the codes wont help if there are not too many monitors set and not enough drive cycles.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:06 PM

he fucked you, your car is ONLY suposed to be scanned as the test is OBD2 if you fail the scan you are supposedly sent to have your car fixed then come back you are not to go on the rollers he fucked ya cus once ya go on the rollers you have to pass on the rollers

why did he put the car on the rollers did he do a plug in test at all?????
Old 07-17-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He did the plug in test. He told me "your history was empty" (I don't know what that means), "so I had to hook up the sniffer." When I asked him to eloborate he said something like... "It looks like someone deleted some codes, or unhooked the battery, so I used the sniffer."

I'm going to have a friend of mine use his scanner to double check for codes (and the history issue) then I'm taking it somewhere else. Hopefully, I won't have to have it sniffed again. If I do... I've heard that a couple of cans of dry gas and about 10 minutes on the highway should help. Anyone else have any ideas? I really do not want to buy new cats if I don't have to.

JIm
Old 07-17-2007, 04:01 PM

the car does have to go through a certain amount of drive cycles to store the information, i know you dont drive the car much but you need to put a few hundred miles on it
Old 07-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

at the point the "history" was empty, the guy SHOULD have told you that you need to drive the car and bring it back, they never should have put it on the rollers.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thechef
the car does have to go through a certain amount of drive cycles to store the information, i know you dont drive the car much but you need to put a few hundred miles on it
I have driven it to Great Meadows, NJ since the Procharger install. That alone is 250 miles (round trip). I'm going to put on another couple of hundred before my next test.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:54 PM

do you leave the battery hooked up when it is stored?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Internet Mechanic

Not enough monitors were set, so thats why it went over.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats rediculous. If you paid out the butt for a dealer to fix this sensor or replace that sensor do they not clear the codes? So if yu did get it fixed through a dealer thay would have put you on the rollers anyway? I dont get it. Thats def gay.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Lower your car and say it's too low to go over the rollers.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Lower your car and say it's too low to go over the rollers.
They have cameras, ive seen some slammed cars get on the rollers.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Launching!

If these emission guys suspect something, they can throw out on the roller or report to DMV if they want to be a *****. Maybe he has LS1 envy? I would think headers, a cam and blower whine might show your hand.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Tech Resident

Let me clear some stuff up (this is my job...)

1. If enough moniters are not set/ready then the computer will automaticly kick the car to a sniffer test. There was nothing the kid running it could do (other than abort the test, which is not something I would ever do unless I knew the person).

2. Now that your car has failed the sniffer test, you will have to pass the sniffer test... it doesnt matter what station you go to, we're all linked by the same computer system.

3. Dry Gas does dick-diddly. Get a good set of cats and try a slightly leaner tune. You can also ask them what gear they did the test in (for most cars it's 3rd, but if you keep it in 2nd then the rpms go up and generaly you get better combustion and better readings).
Old 07-18-2007, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteKnightZ28
Let me clear some stuff up (this is my job...)

1. If enough moniters are not set/ready then the computer will automaticly kick the car to a sniffer test. There was nothing the kid running it could do (other than abort the test, which is not something I would ever do unless I knew the person).

2. Now that your car has failed the sniffer test, you will have to pass the sniffer test... it doesnt matter what station you go to, we're all linked by the same computer system.

3. Dry Gas does dick-diddly. Get a good set of cats and try a slightly leaner tune. You can also ask them what gear they did the test in (for most cars it's 3rd, but if you keep it in 2nd then the rpms go up and generaly you get better combustion and better readings).

what about the memos that the state has put out stating that obd2 cars are NOT to be put on the rollers, he should have been told to go and put more drive cycles on the car or directed to a repair facility per state regulations
Old 07-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by thechef
what about the memos that the state has put out stating that obd2 cars are NOT to be put on the rollers, he should have been told to go and put more drive cycles on the car or directed to a repair facility per state regulations
Never heard that one. If an OBDII car doesnt have enough moniters ready then it automaticly gets kicked to a roller test, or a TSI sniffer test if the car is 4WD or has traction control that cant be turned off.

Thats been the way it works since I started testing over 2 years ago.