Seekonk Spectator Drags 2007

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Seekonk Spectator Drags 2007

Well I went from this before this year:

... to this now that the spec drags racing season is over:

From left to right (1st place Memorial Day 2006, 3rd place Memorial Day 2007, 2nd place 4th of July 2007, 1st place August 2007, and 1st place Labor Day 2007)

Everyone sets different lifetime goals for themselves, and I know it's a strange goal but I've been a fan of the spectator drags for like 15 years since Ray Thibeau and Al Colitri used to beat up on each other. I wanted to win a 1st place trophy someday. I never would have thought I'd be beating the best guys at the track at this point and have 3 wins. I only lost to Dinardo once and Jose Rodriguez this season. I almost lost to Al, Art G, Josh's silver WRX, and Chris Gomes a few times but snuck my nose out on the outside lane. These guys will all get their chance to send me home sometime next year, and I guarantee they will do it. You guys are all awesome drivers.

Since a lot of people ask my what my setup is, here it is. I've got a heads, cam, and ls1 block with forged pistons and rods with a bunch of the usual bolt-ons setup built and tuned by Slowhawk. It's got the perfect torque curve and gearing to match. For anyone who thought about lowering their car, I would hands down get Koni SA's with Strano's springs and the Strano swaybars. I only have the 35mm ST front and 21mm BMR rear bars but I would have gotten the Strano ones if I could go back. The springs and shocks go perfectly together and make the car handle perfectly and give you an unbelieveable feel for controlling the 4th gen in turns. 315 tires all around has been huge for taking the long sweepers as fast as possible with no understeer. I also just had -1.5 degrees of camber in front on both sides dialed in for Labor Day. Helps the front stick more but causes the rear to have the same grip, aka drifting time. Helps you turn corners faster but not if you can't control it. So basically my car is Slowhawk and Strano stuff with their powers combined

It was great though to make a lot of friends in the pits with the drivers. The best drivers there are really classy people and really good sports for making this year a really clean season. I guarantee next year there will be better cars as there was probably only 1 or 2 incidents of contact all season and no wrecks. Looking forward to next season and hopefully taking home some more trophies

Old 09-03-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

congrats man, nice driving
Old 09-03-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just stopped by to watch the Spectator Drags last night. There was alot of cars and some good racing! The thing that I noticed about your car was that it didn't look like it was working to hard to win. I believe the only time I saw it hang out a little was during the last race. Good driving there! I thought you were going to climb the fence or do a backflip off of the wall when you ran up at the end. That probably made your whole year!

Congratulations!!!
Tom
Old 09-03-2007, 11:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats
Old 09-03-2007, 11:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats bryan.... cnt wait until u get up to NED u lil painsy lol... miss ya bro ttyl
Old 09-04-2007, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Congrats. , sorry I missed it .
Old 09-04-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tbyrne
I just stopped by to watch the Spectator Drags last night. There was alot of cars and some good racing! The thing that I noticed about your car was that it didn't look like it was working to hard to win. I believe the only time I saw it hang out a little was during the last race. Good driving there! I thought you were going to climb the fence or do a backflip off of the wall when you ran up at the end. That probably made your whole year!

Congratulations!!!
Tom
Yeah I noticed the same thing. When I watch the videos of myself, I don't look like I'm going extremely fast. I think it's more stability from the good suspension I have that prevents the body from snapping from right to left under turns.

It was great to win one of the two big ones!

I was actually thinking of doing the Icki Shuffle with the trophy, but I'll save that for another time
Old 09-04-2007, 09:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

congrats man
Old 09-05-2007, 01:18 AM
11 Second Club

Hey Congrats Bryan, i still have your old block in my garage!!! The GTO kinda took over my life for now so not much has been done with it haha. Nice driving.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:16 AM
Teching In

Yeah,

Congratulations. I don't know what happened in my race against the Subaru you met in the finals. I was running the heat to keep my temp down. I didn't use octane booster this time and I felt slow off the line in that last race.

I get my N/A Fiero back tomorrow. It needs to have the motor examined thouroughly for water damage from sitting for a year with no valve covers on it outside... That's got a monster 3400 roller-cam block in it that is made to have top-end. My yellow turbo 3.1 has too small a turbo in it...no top end. My prior 3.4 (hydraulic cam) blocks could redline 3rd gear hitting turn 3, the turbo 3.1 does not.

Hey - the season isn't over yet! there should be a Columbus Day weekend race and there is an occasional Halloween weekend one (weather permitting).

I actually don't know what car I will bring. My turbo 3.1 needs suspension work. I have a new turbo that doesn't smoke for it, but I want to put in a ported intake and heads at the same time and get rid of my 2 exhaust leaks...not to mention the suspension work that needs to be done.

Theoretically, my n/a car shoud be ready and the suspension on that car is unbelievable and I'm running 255's all the way around vs. the 225 front 235 rear I am running on the turbo car... Picture that on the track

Say you'll be there man!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trophies kick ***!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Teching In

It's funny, all this time I thought you didn't get to keep the trophies, only take a picture with it... Good to know! I'm pretty sure that used to be the case though...
Old 09-06-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah you keep all the trophies. They are insanely big for what you are winning though lol. My 3rd place trophy is the 2nd tallest one.

Louie, you should get tires first. That will instantly make you a lot faster and easier to control the car too under spinning.

What can you do about gears for your car? There's quite a few guys who are pretty much as fast as I am with just gears 4.11 or 4.55 on a pretty close to stock motor. I'm running 3.42.

Front wheel camber was also a pretty big upgrade since my last event too, as I think will be for anyone. You can take corners faster, but makes the car more tail happy.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

nice job but where is the vids? did Sick Rick race that night? I see his car is on the lift again I think his monsta mota blew again.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Yeah you keep all the trophies. They are insanely big for what you are winning though lol. My 3rd place trophy is the 2nd tallest one.

Louie, you should get tires first. That will instantly make you a lot faster and easier to control the car too under spinning.

What can you do about gears for your car? There's quite a few guys who are pretty much as fast as I am with just gears 4.11 or 4.55 on a pretty close to stock motor. I'm running 3.42.

Front wheel camber was also a pretty big upgrade since my last event too, as I think will be for anyone. You can take corners faster, but makes the car more tail happy.
Stock 3.61 final with a 3.50 first. That's the Fiero advantage.

Actually I just saw my video and it seems my car is very sensitive to heat. I was slower on every race from the first. In the first I am as fast as that Subaru. Just watch my burnouts before each race. In the first, I always loose control. In the last, almost nothing for a burnout.

My N/A car will not be tempurature sensive and should make as much power as this turbo car relatively cold as it stands now. With the 255's on the N/A car and the rear bump-steer correction kit, handling will not be an issue there as well.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ace68
nice job but where is the vids? did Sick Rick race that night? I see his car is on the lift again I think his monsta mota blew again.
Nope. Only one appearance from him all season