Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Hampton Roads People. Over Here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey ben, I dont need that cable lock anymore man. The bike is down at Johnny on the Spots on his trailer locked and chained down. but thanks for the offer browski.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NVR KNO
We will see.... Brian is making me kinda not want them though.... Im undecided.
I just don't like the idea of having to go into 5th gear at the track. Might be good to see what kind of rpm limit and power band you'll have with the new setup before you decide on gear ratios. Are your tires stock diameter?
Old 09-23-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bshell
I just don't like the idea of having to go into 5th gear at the track. Might be good to see what kind of rpm limit and power band you'll have with the new setup before you decide on gear ratios. Are your tires stock diameter?

a lil bigger then stock... about 26" and stock is 25.7"

Brian is right SEan.... if you do the swap u may run out of gear in the 1/4 with the new setup....
as AG said..... 122 @ 6500.... u should be higher then that with the new stuff.
Kyle
Old 09-23-2007, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

but the torque your car makes with the spray it should pull decent in 5th, though it is one shift you wont have to make if you dont swap gears.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by I1ULUZ
Go with a gear that puts you at redline at the end of 1/4. Most likely it would be 4.10's. But 3.73 is a good all around gear.

4.10 will get you to 121mph trap speeds with a 26 inch tire in the back redline of 6500.

3.73 will get you up to 133mph with the same setup.

It's not your DD so might as well make it fun.

Why would you need new backing plates to change out the gears?

the new backing plates are for the axles.... Sean has my old rearend and it has 5/8 studs. so he wants to change them out so he can run his ZR-1's and Prostars. and he has a bent wheel and both are hogged out a lil to fit over the 5/8 stud.

Kyle
Old 09-23-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by StangAddict
but the torque your car makes with the spray it should pull decent in 5th, though it is one shift you wont have to make if you dont swap gears.

Its still going to really kill it while shifting into OD.

Why do that when ya dont need to.

SEan ya need to look at the big picture....... why spent $$$ twice to just go a lil faster now..... unless you go with a 28" Tire for the track.

Kyle
Old 09-23-2007, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA

SEan ya need to look at the big picture....... why spent $$$ twice to just go a lil faster now..... unless you go with a 28" Tire for the track.

Kyle

True!
Old 09-24-2007, 05:33 AM
12 Second Club

Kyle
A 28" tire will make his car slower if he keeps the same setup.

Last edited by KONG; 09-24-2007 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pharm0r
LMAO! ill race him and you too! oohhhh what now! Lol. And the dual will be goin all the way back over the axle thank you very much and its for sound of course.

oh yah, and ws9 hood comin in from us exotics...so that should be good for another 50rwhp

edit: oh yeah, sorry i forgot about your question. Im running stock clutch and shitty summoto tires or something like that. I doubt id hit a 4 k launch. but it'd be fun to try
grandsport1963: im back. when we gonna run?
WTF!!! I thought you were going to run me too!!!! Might want to hit up Medical about your memory issues.

Trey gets all the fun
Old 09-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Staging Lane

the new backing plates are for the axles.... Sean has my old rearend and it has 5/8 studs. so he wants to change them out so he can run his ZR-1's and Prostars. and he has a bent wheel and both are hogged out a lil to fit over the 5/8 stud.

Kyle
Take a grinder and notch the backing plates so you can knock the studs out. Then you don't have to pull the axles. Plus there is the added cost of putting new bearings on the axles. You have press off the beartings to remove the backing plates, then put the backing plate on then press on the new bearings. I won't reuse the bearing, might as well use new while you are in there.

I might even have my old backing plates laying around so I can take a pic of how I mod'd them to replace the studs without taking the axle out.

Stang

Fewer shifts faster you will be at the track, that is why a glide is good, only one shift vice 2 for a TH350 or 400 and 3 for me at the track with a manual. During the shifts you are not putting power down to the ground and going slower. Plus that is hellva load on the drivetrain to shift into OD. Not saying that it has not been done before. I know one fool that ran his C4 in 5th till drag limited is progress. Shame the headlights were up. (private road in Canada)

Nvr

I'm running the stock size studs. I think I even have a new set of long metric studs out in the garage if you have not ordered them yet. I'll sell them for what Summit has them online for if I do.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:24 AM
TECH Regular

lol *uck it. Lets do a 3 way . OR ill run you seperatly when and were, or *uck it agian! IM OFFICIALLY CALLING OUT EVERYONE ON THIS THREAD.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by grandsport1963
besides bolt on's you sprayin?

no but i can be if somone has the stuff lol
Old 09-24-2007, 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

lol *uck it. Lets do a 3 way . OR ill run you seperatly when and were, or *uck it agian! IM OFFICIALLY CALLING OUT EVERYONE ON THIS THREAD.
Nah one on one and I'll use the wife's car Nothin special, just headers and CAI.

Do you all hear that? The pitterpatter of Kong's little feet running here for the call out.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Regular

lol well im available tues-thurs. pm me when and were, oh and you have a camra?
Old 09-24-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont know if your 198rwhp is gonna be enough Chris....
Old 09-24-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KONG
A 28" tire will make his car slower if he keeps the same setup.
I was looking for the long run when I have the new setup on.... But Ill just wait til I get that installed before I make a decision on the gears....
Old 09-24-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by I1ULUZ
Take a grinder and notch the backing plates so you can knock the studs out. Then you don't have to pull the axles. Plus there is the added cost of putting new bearings on the axles. You have press off the beartings to remove the backing plates, then put the backing plate on then press on the new bearings. I won't reuse the bearing, might as well use new while you are in there.

Nvr

I'm running the stock size studs. I think I even have a new set of long metric studs out in the garage if you have not ordered them yet. I'll sell them for what Summit has them online for if I do.
Only reason I have the 5/8 studs is because the whole rear setup used to be Kyles.... Ill keep that in mind though about the studs. Thanx.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

I'm still torn on my new tire size for the track setup... I still have stock gearing in the built 65E and 4:10's

I'm crossing the traps right now about 6200, which is right about where I want to be on the bottle... it pulls better 55-6300 than it does 6500+ which I believe goes right back to the small valve heads and truck intake... and stone stock TB.

This is all on my Hyper-sticky 255/65-16 Gen'rals Hoosier just came out with a new DR too that I've got my eye on. 295/65-15... either this or a 28X11.50X16 MT.... grinding the rear calipers to run some 15" wheels wont hurt my feelings any, I can use all the sidewall I can get at this point.

All this talk about Seans gearing/tires has me thinking...

and FWIW, I'd stay with the 3.73's too bud, just hang in there a little longer and you'll have the ***** to turn them a little better. And as I offered Saturday, if you need a pick-me-up race, I'll dust off the truck and we'll give'er a go LOL....
Old 09-24-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Appreciate it man.... I wasnt really doing it for the fact of the other night, I was thinking about for the long run, with the new setup. I see a ton of track guys, which the car is slowly becoming, running numerically high gears and pulling great times.... So I was just thinking.... We will see though.... Im happy with the 275 MT DRs so I dont want to up the tires size....
Old 09-24-2007, 09:11 AM
12 Second Club

well if ur gonna play during the week, i might be able to get down an that Ben!

Quick Reply: Hampton Roads People. Over Here!