Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Everything is coming together....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Everything is coming together....

As you guys know I bought an auto '02 Z28 w/ 36k miles on it in late December from a guy just outside of Philly. It ran a 12.95 in January in good weather (by North Carolina standards, the DA was right at 0). The car now has a lid w/ K&N, pulley, smooth bellows, Fast Toys Ram-Air and Pacesetter headers into a catted Y-pipe.

Those bolt-ons made a nice difference. Yesterday I ordered some more goodies. I went with a Vig 3600 stall w/ 24k tranny cooler, an DMH electric cut-out, and of course drag radials, hoosier 255-50-16s which will go on the stock chrome snowflake wheels.

Everything should be here by next Tuesday, I can't wait! Hopefully everything works out for me as I'm planning on running at a track rental on Saturday May 17th at Rockingham Dragway in NC.

The car is incredibly quiet, just the way I wanted it. My goal for this car is to have a full bolt-on car that runs very well at full weight yet I can drive to NJ when I want to and still be a nice cruiser on the highway (with the cut-out capped) and return mid 20s MPG.

I'm sure I will leave it as a bolt-on car for some time but....a free restall down to 2800 or 3200 and a 100 shot sure would make a neat set-up. But thats next year!!

I think sometimes we have all gotten too caught up in trying to be the absolute fastest car out there. In lightly modded form these cars are a blast to drive and offer unparelled straight-line bang for the buck, even 6+ years after production ended.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:21 AM
10 Second Club

I love Kenny H
Old 05-01-2008, 06:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kenny H
I think sometimes we have all gotten too caught up in trying to be the absolute fastest car out there. In lightly modded form these cars are a blast to drive and offer unparelled straight-line bang for the buck, even 6+ years after production ended.
I agree with you and have been thinking about this a lot. I used to LOVE driving my full weight, bolt on car around. Thats actually why I've been making my car slower if anything in the last few weeks, trying to make it more street friendly so I can enjoy it this summer.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

Good luck Kenny Ahhh just driving a bolt on car......that was a LONG time ago. Anyone remember the "eastern bolt-on competition" we had way back in the day? I know marc does. Those were fun times.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:26 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Went with the ole Lucky #7
Its a awesome verter,it loooooooves 3.73's too

Good luck with the car Ken...
Old 05-01-2008, 02:21 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I started enjoying my car so much more when I stopped racing it. I was always chasing something but always finding dissapointment with either times, breakages or 'what I should be running'.

Now I'm happy spinning wrenches on the car, tinkering with it and just enjoying it as a hobby.

Sounds like you found a nice replacement for your firebird.

So the million dollar question, which is better, camaro or firebird????
Old 05-01-2008, 02:46 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jersey_TA
Good luck Kenny Ahhh just driving a bolt on car......that was a LONG time ago. Anyone remember the "eastern bolt-on competition" we had way back in the day? I know marc does. Those were fun times.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:49 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Those bolt-ons made a nice difference. Yesterday I ordered some more goodies. I went with a Vig 3600 stall w/ 24k tranny cooler, an DMH electric cut-out, and of course drag radials, hoosier 255-50-16s which will go on the stock chrome snowflake wheels.

I'm sure I will leave it as a bolt-on car for some time but....a free restall down to 2800 or 3200 and a 100 shot sure would make a neat set-up. But thats next year!!
Nice choice of mods there dude, and the idea of adding a small/safe 100 shot a little later on is not a bad one.
I used to HATE nitrous years ago but there is NO denying what it can do and it's true bang for the buck appeal.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:33 PM
CARTEK Racing

Kenny H smells!
Old 05-01-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DocEwww
I agree with you and have been thinking about this a lot. I used to LOVE driving my full weight, bolt on car around. Thats actually why I've been making my car slower if anything in the last few weeks, trying to make it more street friendly so I can enjoy it this summer.
Yes. Plus my interests have changed a bit. I have no desire to run crazy fast ETs or 130 MPH trap speeds. I just want a car I can hop in and drive to/from work. Its nice to be able to get in this thing after a long day of work and roll the windows down, enjoy the sound/feel of a V8, and cruise home.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I love Kenny H
PM me nudes and we will hook up.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JS
Went with the ole Lucky #7
Its a awesome verter,it loooooooves 3.73's too

Good luck with the car Ken...

The Yanks are a bit more efficient but the ET difference is minimal. I'm hoping the Vig 3600 & my trans live a long happy life together: knock on wood!!

I'm going to keep the stock 3.23s both for durability and gas mileage reasons. Lots of people say they want a streetable car but then they go and do something over the edge that ruins it a bit, I really really want to stay with that theme here. It sure would be neat if I was able to get up with everyone and do a TR meet this summer or next summer in a car I've driven 550 miles to get there....

The only thing is unfortunately if we are Stop N Shop, heading to our house to grab some burgers on the grill isn't quite as easy as it used to be....:-)
Old 05-01-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I started enjoying my car so much more when I stopped racing it. I was always chasing something but always finding dissapointment with either times, breakages or 'what I should be running'.

Now I'm happy spinning wrenches on the car, tinkering with it and just enjoying it as a hobby.

Sounds like you found a nice replacement for your firebird.

So the million dollar question, which is better, camaro or firebird????
I think we were all a lot younger than and have things in better perspective now. When I think back to the gay **** we used to argue/fight about, its pretty pathetic. I know I'd never think about saying/typing half of the things I did 5 years ago.

My only real complaint with the Z28 is the lack of headrests. The monsoon in the Z seems to be better than the Formula but I don't think thats possible. Who knows?

I can't compare the performance of the two cars, that just wouldn't be fair to my '98.

I will say this car is A LOT cleaner than my dumdumdumdumdum was. I have a garage so it doesn't see weather and I would never even think about taking the seats out of it, throwing nasty slicks in the back of it etc.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Nice choice of mods there dude, and the idea of adding a small/safe 100 shot a little later on is not a bad one.
I used to HATE nitrous years ago but there is NO denying what it can do and it's true bang for the buck appeal.
The A4 trans seems to live a longer life behind spray with stocking shift points then it does with a 50 rwhp-less cam-only set-up with 6700 RPM shift points. Thats enough to make me keep it stock internals.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

Ya know Kenny, we can arrange that.

The Yanks are a bit more efficient but the ET difference is minimal. I'm hoping the Vig 3600 & my trans live a long happy life together: knock on wood!!

I'm going to keep the stock 3.23s both for durability and gas mileage reasons. Lots of people say they want a streetable car but then they go and do something over the edge that ruins it a bit, I really really want to stay with that theme here. It sure would be neat if I was able to get up with everyone and do a TR meet this summer or next summer in a car I've driven 550 miles to get there....

The only thing is unfortunately if we are Stop N Shop, heading to our house to grab some burgers on the grill isn't quite as easy as it used to be....:-)
Old 05-01-2008, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

It sure would be neat if I was able to get up with everyone and do a TR meet this summer or next summer in a car I've driven 550 miles to get there....

Sad but true.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:28 PM
10 Second Club

Talking

PM me nudes and we will hook up.
PM sent!
Old 05-02-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 fo' shizzle.

My car runs 13.9 and I love it.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:04 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nitrous,bah....Dont even play with it as u will get hooked and then go to a point where u end up killing the trans..I like the 3.23/3600 combo and I think a TR224 or even a TSP228 would really work well with the other parts u have amassed.

The Yanks are over rated and I've had at least 4 of them so I talking from experience.One thing is for sure the VIG 3600 hits the tires hard and I like that feeling and 60ft like a muthu ffffffffffffff....

I honestly think u could run very very well with the following setup
I believe this is what u already have or close to it.

LT's/ORY (Cats or no Cats your choice)
LID/PTB/Susps. mods (Even the road racer stuff wont hurt u too bad)
Pulley/Stat/Cutout (Good for et and keeping the stock exhaust quiet when cruising)

U already have a LS6 intake...
I would go TR224 on a 112 for the muscle car sound
(114 would be tiny bit easier to tune but with the 3600 I like the 112)

At full weight meaning u in the car (3650ish) on a cool day (60)
Running MT's I think u could see easy 11.60's@115 or even a smidge better

That would be one mean DD
Old 05-02-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JS
I honestly think u could run very very well with the following setup
I believe this is what u already have or close to it.

LT's/ORY (Cats or no Cats your choice)
LID/PTB/Susps. mods (Even the road racer stuff wont hurt u too bad)
Pulley/Stat/Cutout (Good for et and keeping the stock exhaust quiet when cruising)

U already have a LS6 intake...
I would go TR224 on a 112 for the muscle car sound
(114 would be tiny bit easier to tune but with the 3600 I like the 112)

At full weight meaning u in the car (3650ish) on a cool day (60)
Running MT's I think u could see easy 11.60's@115 or even a smidge better

That would be one mean DD
I have all of that already except the suspension is stock and I don't have a cam.

My main reason for keep the stock cam is to keep the shift points low. Maybe a thunder 224 on a 112 would still keep it low?