Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Some A-hole stole my Debt card info!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Some A-hole stole my Debt card info!

I went to use my cebt card at CVS today, and it declined twice. So I called my bank, and they had put a block on the card. I asked why, and they had frozen the card because of 4 suspicious purchases. I was like WTF! Some jackass got my debt card number (how? I don't know), and spent $370 at Home Depot, $60 at a Mobil station, $60 at a 7/11, and $90 at a Publix all in Orlando that same day. They froze the account when the info in the magnetic strip didn't match the card at the 7/11. So the purchases at the 7/11 and the Publix didn't go through. Luckly the purchases at the Home Depot, and the Mobil Station where still on hold so my bank deleted them. Thank God my bank was quick in catching this! I got all the money back, but now I have to wait 10 business days to get a new card. I hope they find how did this so I can freakin' shoot 'em in the head!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

That freakin sucks man!!!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

same thing happened to me a year ago along with 10 other people at my bank. I was told they were getting info through ATMs but do you shop at any of the places you listed maybe?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

No, I don't. I'm thinking that they got my info from a pay at the pump Shell.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bank should file a report with local law enforcement since they are now the victim cause they refunded you and they are at loss. At the places you mentioned they were used it should be fairly easy to get video of which register and when the card was used. After seeing who did it, and maybe a license plate from the gas stations, it shouldn't be too hard to find out who did it. But, it's outta your hands now.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
Bank should file a report with local law enforcement since they are now the victim cause they refunded you and they are at loss. At the places you mentioned they were used it should be fairly easy to get video of which register and when the card was used. After seeing who did it, and maybe a license plate from the gas stations, it shouldn't be too hard to find out who did it. But, it's outta your hands now.
Yeah I know, but I still want to kick their ***. lol
Old 01-06-2009, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

i thought the same thing happened to me a couple months ago i look at my account online...and im missing 1,000 bucks haul *** to the bank ask what the hell is going on...long story short, some guy that banks there with my exact same name also had a loan with them that he wasnt paying and they thought it was his account and took the money...i was pissed it was immediatly put back in
Old 01-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Similar story here too. I was missing money from my account. Come to find out that my wife had tried to get a birthday present for me.. I felt pretty dumb after putting the card on hold for theft....
Old 01-06-2009, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Over here in Iraq we have a little Cash Card System because you have to be pretty much retarded to use a Debit Card, well that just got hacked into and there is a few people that are missing some money. Where it got hacked into is a place that we all have been bringing cash only cause it's outside of the base, so the poor guys that used the Cash Card got robbed.

They will never see it again, atleast in the US you will get some kind of reimbursement.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah a couple months back I was getting gas at BJs and the pump was not accepting cards, so I payed cash. Well later that day when I got home I recieved a call from my bank about a purchase of gas in the amount of 100.00. I told them that wasnt me and that the machine wouldnt use my card. They took care of it, but someone got my info from the pump I think and tried to use it.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I NEVER swipe my debit card anywhere but my bank, or publix for cash back. Other than than that, I use a Credit card for everything, since if that number gets stolen, not a big deal, it's thier money, not mine.

I stopped using my debit card for anything after my girlfriend (now wife) had her number stolen from a gas station when the manager allowed people to put a swipe strip behind the pumps swipe strip to skim the numbers (they were arrested years ago for this)

Ryan
Old 01-07-2009, 07:36 AM
12 Second Club

The same thing happened to me, they took over $200 out of my account but my bank was quick to refund my account so it was no biggie
Old 01-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Launching!

There are reader devices that can be hooked on to pumps in front of the pumps own card reader and the user won't visually notice the difference. As the card passes through the device into the pumps reader, it will capture your card info and store it until it's owner comes back to take it off of the pump or they just sit near by and capture it over wifi. Then the number can be sold on the black market. Happened to me about 2 yrs ago. My bank statement showed a purchase at a Shreveport Louisiana Walmart... and it wasn't me. They used a fake card with my number to purchase gift cards, which they proceeded to buy a bunch of stuff with.

Now I pay with cash everywhere that I can, especially restaurants. Once they take that card from you for your meal, it's out of your sight and the can easily run it through a card reader hooked to a PDA to capture the info for resale.

the rat bastards!
Old 01-07-2009, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

it wasn't the shell station on 434 next to KFC was it??? I just used my debit card there yesterday!!
Old 01-07-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

that station should be ok (the one at east lake brantley & SR 434)

the one that I was talking about was chickasaw and curryford road are.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

my girlfriend works for citi bank watching accounts for fraud or suspicious activity this kinda stuff happens all day everyday..........sorry some ahole did that to ya bro
Old 01-07-2009, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

That sucks man, i've been there before the day before i had to pay my tuition. I hope everything works out.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Crlo
it wasn't the shell station on 434 next to KFC was it??? I just used my debit card there yesterday!!
That's the only station I use. I'm def. using credit from now on! I know they didn't get it from the internet, because I use Paypal online. So...
Old 01-08-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

oh, man, thanks for the warning, i'll tell my parents, since that's near thier house.

Ryan
Old 01-08-2009, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96tealTA
That's the only station I use. I'm def. using credit from now on! I know they didn't get it from the internet, because I use Paypal online. So...
dammit I just used it! hopefully I didn't use the same pump. Thats the only station I use as well, I'm suprised I never see you there