Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

GAUGING INTEREST: Tampa Bay / St. Pete Area VETERANS F-BODY CLUB

Old 05-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GAUGING INTEREST: Tampa Bay / St. Pete Area VETERANS F-BODY CLUB

Hello all and thanks for checking in.

A few people have replied to this thread so far. A social group has been created for interested members to join; this will be an easy way to keep in touch and disseminate information about meets and such.

Veterans F-Body Association of Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg

Club Description:

The Veterans F-Body Association of Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg is a car club for U.S Military Veterans and Active Duty Service Members who are LS/LT enthusiasts. Club members come from every military branch, including National Guards and Reserves, and own LS/LT powered vehicles such as F-Bodies, Corvettes, GTOs, CTSVs, SS Impalas, etc.

Our mission is to connect Military Veterans who are also LS/LT enthusiasts living in the Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg region and surrounding areas. Members share a network of information, meet for club events, car shows and drag meets, repairing and modifying vehicles, and community functions.

We encourage any Veterans with LS/LT Vehicles living in the area to come and be a part of this organization. If you have any questions please feel free to send me a private message here on the forum.

Basic Club Stipulations:
  • Club Members can be both ACTIVE and FORMER Service Members of any U.S Military branch including Guard and Reserves, be of any Rank/Grade, any MOS (Job Classification), and be of any age, race, gender, or religion.

• Ideally, this would be an LS/LT based club for F-Bodies, GTOs, G8s, CTS-Vs, and Corvettes. However, making it a Domestic Hot Rod and Sports Car Club is not out of the question (Ford, Mopar, etc.).

Club Representation:

The listing of the Branches was done alphabetically to avoid any bias lol.

If this is something you are interested in, then please check in and reply. After replying to this thread, feel free to check out the Social Group here on the forum. If you meet the criteria then feel free to add yourself to the group via the link.

Veterans F-Body Association of Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg

To reply here to show your interest or share your thought simply list your branch, status (active, veteran etc.), local area that you reside in, your ride, and any thoughts on this idea you may have.

I'LL START IT OFF:

Army, Infantry, Inactive Veteran (served from 04-07), Deployed from 05-06. Reside in South Tampa. Drive a black 1997 SS. My thoughts..lol..well you just spent a half an hour reading them..which is MUCH appreciated!

Last edited by Tampa_97_SS; 05-25-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:54 AM
TECH Regular

interesting, i'll have to keep an ear out for this, currently active duty here at macdill, and was a former f-body owner, but transistioned a little (p.s. you forgot the ls powered caddy's)

schedule permitting i'd definitely come out and support
Old 05-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jasonk
interesting, i'll have to keep an ear out for this, currently active duty here at macdill, and was a former f-body owner, but transistioned a little (p.s. you forgot the ls powered caddy's)

schedule permitting i'd definitely come out and support
Lol yes I did forget about the LS Caddys, I will change that. I live near MacDill, so you may see a black LT1 SS cruising around there with 10 Spokes and a busted black point job lol.

As of now, It doesn't look like much will happen out of this. My guess is that if there are Avctive Service Members and Veterans in the area who own F-Bodies etc. that they may alread be affiliated with a group or club. With that said, to any other groups who may see this; I am not looking to steal members from other local groups and clubs. With time and patience this club could happen, so we will see.

But none the less, thank you for your service and for checking in to the thread . What branch are you in and what do you do (if you dont mind me asking).
Old 05-10-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear you on the whole GI Bill thing. I was on the old system when I went through a LE academy, then when I went to school I learned to get on the new setup I had to do paperwork, I was stressed but got it done in time for classes.

I like this idea. I've been out since Sept. 06, Navy, aviation electrician.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camar0corey
I hear you on the whole GI Bill thing. I was on the old system when I went through a LE academy, then when I went to school I learned to get on the new setup I had to do paperwork, I was stressed but got it done in time for classes.

I like this idea. I've been out since Sept. 06, Navy, aviation electrician.
Awesome! Thanks for checking in man, I've seen you around in the LT1/LT4 forums. I am glad that you like the idea, spread the word and maybe a small group can meet up and make something happen. Aviation electrician huh? Did you spend most of your time on carriers or in ports?

I see that you went through a LE academy, did you get sponsored prior to going? I am getting my Criminal Justice degree at the moment and should graduate in the fall of this year. I am having to do all my research on the local academies and figure out which route to take.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Well I got lucky, shore duty first tour. This is actually when I got to go out on a carrier, training command, so out for a week then back home. Did that three times. Then when sea duty came up I just went to Japan on land for 5 months before getting out.

No sponsorship, good luck on getting one also. Its tough right now, most state agencies are now on a hiring freeze as are a lot of county offices. Being in the Tampa area if you want to do the academy, and get paid to do it, apply to Hillsbourough. They do the interview process first, then put you through their academy and teach you how to do things their way, while still doing the state curriculum of course. Jacksonville is the same way, interview, get paid during academy time, guaranteed job unless you mess up.

They do it the right way, interview first and then train. This state is so *** backwards with the academy and then try to get hired.

Being a Vet and having a criminal justice degree, I don't see any reason why Hillsborough wouldn't take you. I worry about applying there as I have over 5 traffic tickets, I wonder if their policy has changed on that yet? They didn't care when you got them, 5 was the limit. Between 17-19 I drove like a retard, I had 5 tickets just in that span! I'd be going through the academy again, but at least getting paid this time.

Its worth checking into.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Well I got lucky, shore duty first tour. This is actually when I got to go out on a carrier, training command, so out for a week then back home. Did that three times. Then when sea duty came up I just went to Japan on land for 5 months before getting out.

No sponsorship, good luck on getting one also. Its tough right now, most state agencies are now on a hiring freeze as are a lot of county offices. Being in the Tampa area if you want to do the academy, and get paid to do it, apply to Hillsbourough. They do the interview process first, then put you through their academy and teach you how to do things their way, while still doing the state curriculum of course. Jacksonville is the same way, interview, get paid during academy time, guaranteed job unless you mess up.

They do it the right way, interview first and then train. This state is so *** backwards with the academy and then try to get hired.

Being a Vet and having a criminal justice degree, I don't see any reason why Hillsborough wouldn't take you. I worry about applying there as I have over 5 traffic tickets, I wonder if their policy has changed on that yet? They didn't care when you got them, 5 was the limit. Between 17-19 I drove like a retard, I had 5 tickets just in that span! I'd be going through the academy again, but at least getting paid this time.

Its worth checking into.
Yeah I am getting my degree from HCC, and have looked into both TPD and HCSO. The only thing I would need to look into is how many other states would accept my HCC Acedemy Degree if I dont get hired in Tampa. I do agree, it is a bit backwards; which is why I'm leaning towards HCSO. You may be ok since those tickets were at such a young age, AND since you have served since then ya know? Best advice I can give you is to call HCSOs Employment Office and see if you can maybe get a face to face sit down with a recruiter of sorts.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Bay Area veterans and active service members check in if interested.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

good luck w this chris i hope it takes off for u
Old 05-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SILVER 2288 SS
good luck w this chris i hope it takes off for u
HA..whats up buddy!? Thanks, we will see if it goes anywhere. I am thinking that most in this area are already affiliated with another club or group.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Bay Area Vets, check it out and think about it.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:52 AM
Teching In

Army, 31U, Inactive Veteran (served from 97-01), Deployed from 08-present as contractor in Iraq. Reside in Palmetto, FL. Drive an 02 TA WS6. I'm still overseas, but would consider it when I return. ;-)
Old 05-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dforristall
Army, 31U, Inactive Veteran (served from 97-01), Deployed from 08-present as contractor in Iraq. Reside in Palmetto, FL. Drive an 02 TA WS6. I'm still overseas, but would consider it when I return. ;-)
Awesome man, I appreciate the consideration. Stay safe while deployed and definitely keep an eye on the thread. If something starts before you return we will send you updates and keep you in the loop.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Giving this a bump. Bay area Vets check in and let me know if you are interested.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm interested. Surprised you haven't had more responses, I know it feels different when hanging around vets/active duty. I'm eyeballing USF and ROTC as I finish up my AA in August. I even thought about just trying to go back to active duty.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Veteran

I would be up for this as well. Former Marine helo guy currently working at TIA. Currently own a 01 SS
Old 05-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Launching!

I'm interested. Surprised you haven't had more responses, I know it feels different when hanging around vets/active duty. I'm eyeballing USF and ROTC as I finish up my AA in August. I even thought about just trying to go back to active duty.
Yeah there are days that I miss my buddies and the "life" lol. I am surprised too that there haven't been more responses; BUT..a few of you have replied and thats a good start.

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
I would be up for this as well. Former Marine helo guy currently working at TIA. Currently own a 01 SS
Sweet, thanks for the response man. From what I have heard TIA sounds like a good place to be.

So it looks like we have a hand full so far which is great. I am thinking about us having a little meet and greet during the first weekend in June? Something simple like pulling in to SONIC for an hour or so to shoot the breeze, exchange ideas and such?

Let me know what you guys think about Saturday June 4th, sometime between 5 pm and 6 pm. As mentioned above, SONIC is just an idea; but the Gandy Blvd location is fairly central for those comming from both Tampa and St.Pete. They have a big lot with outside seating off to the side to hang out and eat.

Corey, I believe you live the furthest out correct? I'm not sure, so let me know; dont want you to have to make a 4 hour round trip lol.

Just let me know what you guys think about the date, time, and location. Again, thanks for the responses guys!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds good, I'm probably only about an hour away from there.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Launching!

Cool, now we just need the others to confirm and we may have ourselves a meet and greet.

5:30 PM on Saturday June 4th, at SONIC on Gandy Blvd. Check in and confirm if you can make it fellas.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Launching!

TTT; veterans check in and let us know if you can make it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GAUGING INTEREST: Tampa Bay / St. Pete Area VETERANS F-BODY CLUB