Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

starting my first project, project lsx.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default starting my first project, project lsx.

so after selling my 01 ss last year and switching to mustang power, i still miss ls motors, although i am having a bit of fun on the ford side lol. anyways i have a 79 vette that is my project car, and it has a 383 stroker motor that is carbed and its decent, but idk carb just isnt my style and i want something im more used to. so ive decided to swap an ls1 into my vette and im going to top it off with a whipple or a maggie. current plan is to buy a used ls1 and tear it apart and clean it, replace all the internals with forged assemblies. blower cam and upgraded fuel system. current transmission is a 7004r but will prob swap out for a 4l60e with a high stall. ill keep this updated with pics and details throughout the swap.

heres the current motor in the car

heres the center gauge cluster i am working on with autometer gauges

and heres todays progress on the motor swap. just pulling the motor so i can sell it whenever i have a buyer. forgot to mention this motor and setup is for sale btw and is brand new with 200 miles on it. same for the transmission. more details in flordia for sale section.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will the Maggie clear the stock hood? Are you dead set on the combo? A 5.3 with a turbo could make stupid power with money left over to go to other parts of the car. Just a thought either way good luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by firebird99
Will the Maggie clear the stock hood? Are you dead set on the combo? A 5.3 with a turbo could make stupid power with money left over to go to other parts of the car. Just a thought either way good luck and keep us posted.
maggie wont clear the stock hood but im not keeping the hood. going with the l88 hood and it will clear. 5.3 turbo could be nice but im fond of superchargers over turbos.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

more work today, got the motor out finally.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What about a supercharger on a 5.3 still big power with a lower cost and really no need to forge everything unless you really plan on a lot of boost or even a 6.0 that would be a torque monster.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Looks like it will be a great project, I would like to do something like this.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1badSS
Looks like it will be a great project, I would like to do something like this.
Me to but I have no garage
Old 06-06-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by firebird99
What about a supercharger on a 5.3 still big power with a lower cost and really no need to forge everything unless you really plan on a lot of boost or even a 6.0 that would be a torque monster.
lol i plan on 600-700rwhp so forging everything is a must for me. not trying to be a dick but money isnt much of a problem here. i plan on building a reliable motor, or at least as reliable i can get it. ive ditched the maggie and i think im going to go with an F1 or higher procharger. not sure yet. plus i already picked up an ls1 block and ecu so im not gonna scrap everything and go for a 5.3. thanks for the input though.

ill keep this updated when i make progress, going to be a build over many months as im prob going to have to deploy halfway through it.

btw heres the new block

Quick Reply: starting my first project, project lsx.