Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

University of Florida MBA

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default University of Florida MBA

I am considering getting my MBA from UF and just wanted to know how it compares to other MBA's around the country, either the traditional or online versions. How does it rank? How's the alumni following? Does it concentrate in areas specific to Florida in terms of career options or is it general/applicable to jobs elsewhere? Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

im getting my mba at Nova SouthEastern University! why are you getting it.... Just for money? or experience and knowledge
Old 06-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cancam99ss
why are you getting it.... Just for money? or experience and knowledge
For both. Oil and Gas is huge here in Texas. If you want to get into management, an MBA is a must but it has to be reputable. However, I'm not about to drop 100k which is what Rice and Texas (UT) cost, dont want an MBA that bad.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:20 PM
10 Second Club

I looked at going there when I got my Masters. UF ranks pretty high among state schools, so I would feel comfortable in going there, but as far as the concentration or the program itself I couldn't really answer that. I would make sure you know what they consider "reputable" as well you don't want to go through a program to only have them shrug their shoulders at you. In certain fields, and areas (geographic), there are certain go to schools, and that may be the case in your industry.

I would say your best bet is to talk with someone who has been through the program in a field similar to yours, maybe one of your colleagues at work.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can tell you that most of our programs are pretty well ranked, on the national scale. As far as the MBA goes, I did once see a billboard that said it was ranked #1 in something....but who knows what that specifically was about. You can head over to gradcafe (it's a forum about grad programs) to try and find some info about a lot of different MBA programs. I wish you luck in your search!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Gators and have an MBA (along with other degrees). I am not sure the value of a Florida MBA when you plan on working in a Texas or Gulf based business. I would look to staying close to home. Also, the MBA doesnt bring the coin that most think and is really just something you hang on top of the resume after you reached that glass ceiling.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Launching!

That's exactly what I needed to know about the Florida MBA, how useful it would be in Texas. However, I have to disagree with the salary and "glass ceiling" comment. If you have a techincal background like an engineering degree, getting and an MBA will raise your salary about 40%-50% on average and it opens the doors to upper management, shattering the "glass ceiling" you will eventually get to without it, especially in oil and gas. For those with non technical degrees, I would have to agree with you.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a lawyer, I wouldn't know about technical degrees. Get a degree close to home.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say UF is among the top in the nation for MBA's. However, like gator said you need to decide if it's really worth it (which it looks like you've put a lot of thought into it already) because MBA cost a ton of money and nowadays I don't think they really pay for themselves (unless your field of work requires it) because they are so prevalent. Largely due to the economic crisis (no work so go to school).

Keep in mind in state and out of state tuition are DRASTICALLY different. Typically at least double.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:18 PM
FormerVendor

I was accepted to the UF MBA program after my undegrad, but decided to pursue my current undertaking- Lashway.

I consider their program to be top notch. Not only that, but UF is regarded as a fine institution no matter where you work in the country.

Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: University of Florida MBA