Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

WTT : anyone want to convert his m6 to an a4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTT : anyone want to convert his m6 to an a4?

hey everyone , anyone interested in doing a swap?

i have an a4 01 trans am with 79'xxx miles

been my daily driver for 3 years now , runs perfect except sometimes it shifts hard from 1 to 2nd but nothing too noticeable. "only on low speeds and most of the time its not there"

reason i want to swap is because i want an m6 , will do it somehow and this seems the most effective cheapest route. as all parts will be there in the spot.

i want to swap it for an m6 , a complete swap kit from your car to mine and vice versa.

car has to a 4th gen obviously , dont know if camaros can be swapped with trans am's but if they are then no problem. transmission has to be running in good condition.

i'm located in melbourne , Florida.

i know a very good shop who i know will give us a more than great price around 1500$ no more i say hopefully to convert that cars , if we decide to do it then we can split the cost.

Last edited by Q8WS6; 12-04-2014 at 12:13 PM. Reason: better
Old 12-05-2014, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not to be a dick man but I really dont think anyone is going to go for this. I did the swap on mine, a t56 used will go for 1500 all day long. A used 4l60e especially one that may or may not have some issues is worth 150-200 bucks. So right there not one will want to do a straight trade. Not that you said you wanted a straight trade im just assuming since you didnt offer cash.

My advice is look for a swap kit on here that someone is selling and buy it outright. I pieced together a kit and it really isnt hard. Pedals, trans, shifter, clutch and wiring kit from ebay. Certain things like the clutch mc, slave and clutch you want new anyway so you would have to buy that even with a swap from another car. There are a couple wrtieups on here, mine included that detail the swap. It can be done in about 305 days depending on your skill level and time
Old 12-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redbird555
not to be a dick man but I really dont think anyone is going to go for this. I did the swap on mine, a t56 used will go for 1500 all day long. A used 4l60e especially one that may or may not have some issues is worth 150-200 bucks. So right there not one will want to do a straight trade. Not that you said you wanted a straight trade im just assuming since you didnt offer cash.

My advice is look for a swap kit on here that someone is selling and buy it outright. I pieced together a kit and it really isnt hard. Pedals, trans, shifter, clutch and wiring kit from ebay. Certain things like the clutch mc, slave and clutch you want new anyway so you would have to buy that even with a swap from another car. There are a couple wrtieups on here, mine included that detail the swap. It can be done in about 305 days depending on your skill level and time
Thanks for your reply man

but 305 days? not sure if srs
will eventually be done by a mechanic.

i was looking at the hawks3rdgin parts kit and i'm not sure what to make up of the
following

- All necessary connectors and pigtails (Used, exp. nuetral safety switch, brake switch, etc...)

- All necessary hardware need to complete the install

i know i can look up the threads and find everything i need.

i just want to know what exact parts fall under these categories.

any help would be highly appreciated.

Last edited by Q8WS6; 12-05-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry meant 3-5 days lol i did it in 5 my first time while working a fulltime summer job home from college. I wouldnt let a backyard mechanic do it unless they KNEW these cars specifically. Take it to an ls shop. Theres things like reverse lockout, cruise control (yes different on an m6), reverse lights etc that need to be wired a certain way to function properly. Especially if you use an auto engine harness. Many backyard mechanics dont know this and simply leave those functions not working. I hate that and think its cheap quite frankly.

I had never done a swap before and just following other peoples and doing a lot of research I compiled mine. If you follow my writeup EVRYTHING on the car will function jsut like a factory m6 car would. I took a lot of time to make sure that if you didnt know my car was an auto you couldnt tell. All the functions that work in an m6 car work and are wired exactly as they would be in an m6. This is something a lot of diy and backyard shops skip.

Here is the writeup I made when I did mine. The wiring they reference is for reverse light pigtail as well as the reverse lock out pigtail and vss wire extension. I go over it in my writeup and you can get all these things off ebay for 30 bucks. Just type in t56 wiring pigtails

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...e-writeup.html
Old 12-05-2014, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

Man appreciate your reply.
i figure that's the way i should do it. don't want to end up with a bunch of problems after swap.
also you got pm.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:56 PM
Launching!

I'll be swapping my m6 out the Friday after New year's for a built 4l80e, I will let you know once it's out.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LT194CamaroZ
I'll be swapping my m6 out the Friday after New year's for a built 4l80e, I will let you know once it's out.
good luck with that man
hope to hear back
Old 12-07-2014, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My swap took two days and wasn't that difficult at all. I devoted the first day to getting the pedals mounted up along with with the clutch master and then swapped the tranny on the second day. I did have access to a lift and a transmission jack on the second day so that made it much easier.

Since then I've since pulled my T-56 on my garage floor by myself for a rebuild and it was a 3 day process to get it out and back in. Good luck with your swap and it's the best modification I've done to my car.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jeff94TA
My swap took two days and wasn't that difficult at all. I devoted the first day to getting the pedals mounted up along with with the clutch master and then swapped the tranny on the second day. I did have access to a lift and a transmission jack on the second day so that made it much easier.

Since then I've since pulled my T-56 on my garage floor by myself for a rebuild and it was a 3 day process to get it out and back in. Good luck with your swap and it's the best modification I've done to my car.
it is not possible i do it myself as i don't have one single tool and i don not have any space.

don't to spend any money on tools because i will be leaving the country in a year.

check your pm

Quick Reply: WTT : anyone want to convert his m6 to an a4?