Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Thinking about moving to Tampa or Orlando

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thinking about moving to Tampa or Orlando

Hey guys, I live in San Digeo and I wanted to move somewhere new and Florida came into mind. Can anyone tell me how everything is out there, weather, crime rate, entertainment, ect.

I'm looking for somewhere to live thats safe and family orriented. I have a 4 year old so I need to be somewhere with a good school system and thats not to expensive.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

between jax and orlando will be some of nicer low crime areas....

orlando is pretty touristy....tampa is getting crazy expensive and crime is going up....so dont think the cities proper think outlying areas
Old 05-17-2007, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tampa is a good place. Prices are going up, but houses stop selling. I think the prices will start to drop again. I live here in Ruskin, south east tampa. It's quiet but im only 15 min from the track, and about 25min to downtown tampa. nice to be kind of in the middle.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

Orlando is nice. All of your good schools are in "expensive" areas for the most part. Compared to Cali though we are much cheaper. There are some nice areas outside of Orlando. In general the Orlando area is expanding, and the land is being developed everywhere you go right outside of Orlando. You should fly out and visit here. Take a few days though and get out of the tourist area and check out some of the other parts in the area. See what you like.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

IMO the west coast of Fla (Tampa) is very quiet, different lifestyle from say the southeast (ft lauderdale, where i live)

Orlando is middle of the state east to west, and it hotter than an apes nuts...it also reminds me of GA...pine trees, pine cones, lots of PINE lol....Orlando is really just based around the tourist season, Disney, etc and is crowded...

If I were you, I would look into moving a little further south into developing West Palm Beach....new homes are being built, new shipping places etc...Moroso is a hop and a skip away, and hell, any day you can go to Orlando or Miami with a lil bit of driving

I've lived here 19 years, talk to the guys like me and other who have lived here a while!
Erik
Old 05-17-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where in Florida would be the best to raise a family and has the lowest crime rate.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

i live in cocoa beach,and the crime rate is very minimal.mostly retired people here.i am 40 minutes east of orlando and 45 minutes south of daytona
Old 05-17-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

You need to look in Seminole county, in the Altamonte Springs, Longwood area. If you check the websites you will find that Seminole county has the best schools. Not a lot of crime. It is within 25 minutes of downtown Orlando. (great entertainment, building more of a metropolitan feel and Disney is only a few more minutes further) We live in Deland, NO crime at all. I frequently leave my car open all night, we have not had any break ins anywhere. We are about 45 minutes of Orlando and 15 minutes of Daytona Beach. According to florida's school rating system, Seminole County is the ONLY "A" rated school-district in the central area. You can find info regarding all Florida schools at MYFlorida.com

I can tell you this because my wife is an Assistant Principal in Seminole. We can send our 8 year old daughter anywhere we choose and we send her to Seminole county. We tried Volusia, where we live, and the district wasnt bad, but we had issues with the admin. My sister works for Orange county(Orlando) and we arent real happy with the way they do things.

All in all, the best prices on housing can be found in West Volusia, and the schools arent bad. Seminole county is the best schools, but housing is kinda high. Orange has one of the worst districts and the housing is unpredictable. You can get good schools but the housing is outrageous in the good school area.

If you are looking to rent, Seminole county has limited rentals. Everyone has converted to condo recently.

If you want a real world FYI, my wife will talk to you directly if you want. Contact me off list and I will give you her phone number. We can give you real world info on just about anything. We have been in the area for a long time and we have an active lifestyle as well as being active in the f-body scene and have an 8 year old daughter to entertain.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

As far as I know, Port Saint Lucie is one of the safest cities in the U.S.( It really is, I lived there form 1986-2006.) The city is also one of the fastest, if not, the fastest growing cities in FL. Orlando, to me, is better as a place to visit. I have lived here for almost a year and had more fun when I was just vistiing my friends. Around my aparment complex, alot of crime. My friend has his car broken into twice, another firned has his car broke into also, an Integra was stolen a few days ago, and I heard some kid here got arrested for having an AK-47.
http://www.morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm#25
This has info on the safest and most dangerous cities in the U.S.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

I'm telling you....West Palm Beach man....unless you want to live in what looks to me like GA...

Too much crime in Orlando because of all the punk *** college kids (I am in college BTW) looking for something to do...

Move to a place that is developing (notice the -ing) and that is PRO community/schools/families.

South Fla, like where I live is not an ideal place either for a fam, it is TOO $$$...hell I just read an article in the Wall Street Journal about families moving OUT of Fla because of the price of homes near schools skyrocketing....

Again, anywhere north of Broward County on the EAST COAST would be nice...
Old 05-18-2007, 12:55 PM
CKZ
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
I'm telling you....West Palm Beach man....unless you want to live in what looks to me like GA...

Too much crime in Orlando because of all the punk *** college kids (I am in college BTW) looking for something to do...

Move to a place that is developing (notice the -ing) and that is PRO community/schools/families.

South Fla, like where I live is not an ideal place either for a fam, it is TOO $$$...hell I just read an article in the Wall Street Journal about families moving OUT of Fla because of the price of homes near schools skyrocketing....

Again, anywhere north of Broward County on the EAST COAST would be nice...
College kids committing crimes?!?! I'm not in school anymore but I can assure you that's not the case.

Anyhow, some people have the ignorant opinion that Orlando = Tourism. This just simply isn't the case. We have burgeoning Metro area (as mentioned) and plenty of cultural activities.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you love traffic, I would stay away from the main areas of Orlando.

I live 30 min. north of Tampa, I don't know how well the school systems are rated, but crime seems to be real low and traffic isn't bad. House prices are starting to come back down a little here due to the fact that none of them have been selling. Gainsville is about a 1 1/2 away, Orlando 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on traffic, Tampa is 30 minutes away.

Stuff gets more expensive the further south you go, I have a friend that is leaving Naples to move back up here, cause he is tired of working 2 jobs just to live.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

I used to live in Lakeland Fl for about 10 years. Right in between Tampa and Orlando. I miss living there at times. You might want to check out Lakeland.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Traffic, high priced houses, crime, lousy schools, Now I remember why I live in Volusia county and send my kid with my wife to school and will put her in Private school when she reaches middle school age. We are close to both Orlando and Daytona Beach. Lots to do in either direction.

The crime in many parts of Orlando and Orange county is reeeeeaaaallllly bad. What was that murder count up to now??? It hit the record a while back. ANd somebody was worried about cars getting broken into. That is what insurance is for. My family's safety is what is important to me. I live in a low crime area and I have an alarm, a large dog(that demonstrated her protectiveness recently), and a gun. Florida is also one of the only states that lets you shoot intruders in you home too without first trying to get away even if you are not in emenent danger. Wonderful law. If I catch someone in my car I will call the police and let them and the insurance handle it, If I catch them in the house, well lets just say the police wont be called til its over.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

What ever you do stay away from orlando. The crime and traffic is outta control.

Tampa or st pete is you best bet.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_Z28
Where in Florida would be the best to raise a family and has the lowest crime rate.
Palm Coast or Ormond Beach is real nice.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSINISTR SS
Palm Coast or Ormond Beach is real nice.

Yeah but jobs are limited.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

Orlando isnt as bad as people are making it out to be. Traffic does suck as it would I think in any major metropolitan area. As far as all the murders, yes the rate is up, but look at where most are occuring, the run down "bad areas" that already have lots of crime. Im sure there are lots of better places to live, but Orlando is nice and not as bad as people are making it out to be.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

I am from fort myers but I am kinda on the line as to whether to recommend that or not. Certain areas are nice others are definite slums. If you look into it try and stay towards south fort myers, unless you are looking for the rural feel then go north. The farther south you go getting towards Estero the nicer and more modern it gets. My g/f however is from lakeland, and i know I havent seen everything there but from what I have seen it is very nice. A place I would consider living. But then again her father is an anesthesiologist so I am normally in the upper class neighborhoods when im there. But hell cost of living has got to be cheaper there than SD. so i would look into lakeland

Quick Reply: Thinking about moving to Tampa or Orlando