Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Military jets over orlando

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Military jets over orlando

Anyone here checking out the jets over orlando this morning? This is the 3rd time in 2 hours. Whats going on? there's nothing on the news and these are flying low and fast. They look like they're f-16's

Last edited by 2001somws.6; 08-04-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

I heard that... planes don't usually fly over my house... hmmm
Old 08-04-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think its sweet as hell but its got me thinking. This is the first time that this has happened since 9/11.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

national gaurd manuavers are this weekend, they might be trying something new
Old 08-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Restricted User

maybe the rest of the state might be getting a little more fly-by action after these passivist up here in jax didnt want to re-open cecil field. you might have to get used to it. thats all i'm gonna say about that......
Old 08-04-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh hell i dont mind at all. I love it when they fly over. I was thinking that something bad was going down.

Gotta love air power.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah you gotta love the idiots all across the U.S. that move close to a base, then bitch about how its loud. Then the base sometimes shuts down, WTF???!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

I would love to see them fly over my house a few times. I'll sit down on my roof and watch them all day.
-Joel
Old 08-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Restricted User

yep. we had a real shot at getting a master jet base here. the carrier has already left mayport and is SUPPOSED to be replaced, but everyone knows that the property out there is worth a whole lot more to develpoers than the military. with the sub base just north of us, its just a matter of time. this town was built with the blood and sweat of military families who were stationed here and choose to live here and call this home. the bases have always been a major factor to our economy. i have live here for over 40 years and it really pissed me off when a bunch of voters decided that their sleep and their horses not being frightened by the jets was more important. i have lived right down the road from cecil for over 20 years and the jets never bothered me. i kinda always felt better knowing it was there.

cecil is a nice place to go now, but it also took tax dollars to convert it into what it is or what they hope it will be. i would much rather have seen all those dollars go into youth programs, roadways, police or fire dept here rather than turning the base into a commerce center.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Welcome to our, "more important to be comfortable than safe and free" modern society. Enjoy it while you can because it wont be long before all our liberties are taken away and we are attacked again. By then we will be on Socialized medicine and those that are hurt in the attack will have to wait months to be treated.

OOPS did I say that out loud?

Personally I love to see them. Gives me a feeling of pride. Call me crazy. No nevermind, I might just be crazy cause it seems I am in the minority now.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

ive lived in florida all my life, ive lived in jacksonville for a very long time as has my family....my grandparents worked at NAS jax from the day it opened

But i think with cecil this city would have had more cons then pro's...i like the navy, i love the military, but my house on the westside is older then cecil, and my family didnt ask for it to be built a few miles down the road

IMO i believe this ALL could be setteled if we spread our base's out more and didnt focus them in just several key areas.

to have a nuclear attack sub base, a task force carrier group, and several air wings stationed in a 20 mile radius thats not good strategy....one bomb could cripple a large part of the southeast's military capibility...

it was proposed that it would take a long time for cecil to grow in a civilian area, and you can see signs of it doing so now....there are several large neighborhoods going up off of normandy, and we have boeing, LSI, and fedex....just to name a few, let alone customs, and the national gaurd out there

regardless of what the voters decided, half of cecil lies in clay county, CLAY COUNTY had already voted NOT to give the land back to the military and the military made it a point that it would not come back without all of its land....so the duval county issue is null and void

we have two nuclear sub ports on the east coast....those weapons are soooo invaluable, i really believe we should space them out more maybe have 4 instead of kings bay and groton....having newport as our major naval area on the east coast needs to also be split up.....

when clinton closed those naval bases and consolidated...that really hurt...
Old 08-04-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
I would love to see them fly over my house a few times. I'll sit down on my roof and watch them all day.
-Joel
With beer and sunglasses.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Restricted User

and i guess the city letting them build homes in what they knew were crash zones had nothing to do with the mayor buying those 5000 acres for personal gain/reasons. its like i said earlier...mayport is worth more $$$ to developers being ocean front property, and weather you like it or not, so is nas being that its on the st. johns. they are constantly dangling that civilian contract at nas. with a possible changing of the guard in 2008, a football team that cant sell tickets (and is worth more in cali or vegas), it may not be long before we take several steps backward here. whats the old sayin....a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. giving cecil back to the military might of at least help us to hedge our bet. no cecil + no nas + no mayport + no football team = a **** load of jobs gone.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2001somws.6
With beer and sunglasses.
I agree i would make a saturday out of it. Wash the car around mid-day, then relax on the roof watching the jets scream over. I would enjoy living by a military place, i would probably spend my day looking up to see whats coming or going.
-Joel
Old 08-04-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oughta' see a fast mover drop a 2000 lb cluster bomb about 1500 meters in front of your position. My first time to see a 500 lb'r was at the Annual Capabilites Exercise at Fort Bragg , NC. ... same exercise saw a C-130 transport buckle and break in half and when he tried to do his LAPES drop, he tried to pull up and the aircraft crashed and slid down the runway in a ball of fire. Unfortunately, there was a Hummer with a guy in it sleeping ... aircraft wiped the poor guy out.

In Iraq, came a 2,000 lb bomb visual at night ... at least the first one. Sometimes aircraft would have 'hung bombs' and would release them in front of our positions before returning to their base to reload. The 2,000 lb'rs made the 500 lb'rs look small.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
I agree i would make a saturday out of it. Wash the car around mid-day, then relax on the roof watching the jets scream over. I would enjoy living by a military place, i would probably spend my day looking up to see whats coming or going.
-Joel
And dont forget the flag too.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

And not a small flag either, i want one from one of those dealerships. The ones that can cover a nice sized house.
-Joel
Old 08-05-2007, 01:54 AM
11 Second Truck Club

^lmfao!
Old 08-05-2007, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Every time i see this stuff it give me goose bumps and then i say hell yeah go get those terrorist ********.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

Sounds kinda odd for that area, but I don't know Orlando that well.

Back when MacDill AFB housed F-16's they would regularly train against Tyndal AFB over the gulf area, but that's not inland. The panhandle is a hotbed for military aircraft with Tyndal, Hurlburt and Eglin.

When I was 12, we lived on Nellis in NV. The Thunderbirds trained very close to where we lived, so I got to see them quite often. You just get used to aircraft flying 500 ft over your house after a while. You learn not to put delicate objects on anything, since the vibration would cause them to fall off eventually.

Quick Reply: Military jets over orlando