Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

A&P License anyone have one????

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A&P License anyone have one????

if so where do you work? how do you like it? and about how much do you make?

im getting out of the Airforce in MAy and im thinking about going to this school in clearwater called National Aviation Academy and they say i will have my A&P License after the 21 month course. Has anyone heard of ths school?

anyone know if A&P licensed mechanic's are in demand or is it hard to get a job in this career field?
Old 12-27-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hopefully its cheaper than Riddle, Why don't you get the A&P from the Air Force, ?

I can't answer your questions, I work on the Shuttle Program, Supposedly they require one,
Old 12-27-2007, 07:15 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Steve68
Why don't you get the A&P from the Air Force, ?
they sould be able to sign off your PQS.
well that's how it is for the Navy anyways.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Launching!

i only work on one system in the airforce which is the fuel system. that is why i cant get while im in. good call im going to look in to riddle.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Riddles' MF'n expensive
Old 12-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Teching In

I have one and I no longer work on aircraft. Cost me $16000 at the time back in 1998 to go to A&P school. I got laid off after 911 and never looked back. If you like working graveyard, holidays, and weekends go for it. Pay isn't that good either when you start out. Takes a long time to get to the top of the pay scale. Just my .02
Old 12-29-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Veteran

I work at Hawker Beechcraft at Tampa Airport. Been there 11 years and run the 2nd shift.

We will be looking for people over the next few years as we expect to grwo quite a bit.

This would be General Aviation...not airlines. A little different. it used to be that airlines paid a ton more. But that gap has all but closed. GA is alo a ton more stable. we have had 1 lay off at my work in 20 years. And that was after 9-11 and was mostly for non mechanics.

For a new A&P with some Air Force experiance you could expect to make $17-19 and hour to start. Top out would be around $30 an hour. How long it took you to get that far would depend on how good you are (we are non union) and if you want to take on any added responsibility like crew lead position. OT is plentiful as a road trips. we have some guys that have been here for around 7-8 years that do alot of road trips and probably come close to $100K a year. But the avg pay is around $45-50K

NAA is a good school. If you can get you Airframe licence in the Air Force do that. i think they have thre ability to just give you the Powerplant portion at a reduced price and time.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
I work at Hawker Beechcraft at Tampa Airport. Been there 11 years and run the 2nd shift.

We will be looking for people over the next few years as we expect to grwo quite a bit.

This would be General Aviation...not airlines. A little different. it used to be that airlines paid a ton more. But that gap has all but closed. GA is alo a ton more stable. we have had 1 lay off at my work in 20 years. And that was after 9-11 and was mostly for non mechanics.

For a new A&P with some Air Force experiance you could expect to make $17-19 and hour to start. Top out would be around $30 an hour. How long it took you to get that far would depend on how good you are (we are non union) and if you want to take on any added responsibility like crew lead position. OT is plentiful as a road trips. we have some guys that have been here for around 7-8 years that do alot of road trips and probably come close to $100K a year. But the avg pay is around $45-50K

NAA is a good school. If you can get you Airframe licence in the Air Force do that. i think they have thre ability to just give you the Powerplant portion at a reduced price and time.
thanks for the good info.. hopefully i will be out by the end of april and then im going to start going to school.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

USAF dont give you your A&P, they do have a course that will allow you to get it through an FAA and USAF collaboration....after completion of the USAF course you will get your test tickets to take all 3 exams, but you dont get an A&P thru the Air Force....
Old 12-29-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by oange ss
USAF dont give you your A&P, they do have a course that will allow you to get it through an FAA and USAF collaboration....after completion of the USAF course you will get your test tickets to take all 3 exams, but you dont get an A&P thru the Air Force....
right. let me elaborate on my last statement in my last thread.
The Airforce only provides you with the OJT. You still must presnt that OJT in the form of good ducumentation of the actual work your performed to an FAA rep so he can give you your permission slips to take the airframe tests. Based on what you say...you may be able to get permission to take your general and airframe tests....and then take your oral and practical for those BEFORE you get out of the Air Force. The reason I say do it before is because if you take your documentation for your OJT to the FAA rep and he sais its not good enough he may just ask for something like a little better documentation or a letter from your boss stating that you do perform the duties you claim in your OJT documentation. If your out of the Air Force this make it much more difficult. You dont need to get your actual powerpalnt licence before you leave the AF...you just need to get those permisiion slips to take the Airframe and the General tests along with the O&P. So check your OJT documentation forms and make as many entries as possible. if you have no formal OJT documentation program...get as many letters fro NOIC's and officers stating what actual jobs your perform.

If you can get those permission slips and then the airframe license (along with passing the general test) you may be able to land a job in aviation while you are going to NAA for your Powerplant.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

right. let me elaborate on my last statement in my last thread.
The Airforce only provides you with the OJT.
not necassarily, if he has no general airframe/powerplant experience, then he has to fulfill the OJT requirement on his own...

You still must presnt that OJT in the form of good ducumentation of the actual work your performed to an FAA rep so he can give you your permission slips to take the airframe tests. Based on what you say...you may be able to get permission to take your general and airframe tests....
test ticktes are provided based on AFSC, being fuel cell he wont be eligible for either, he'll have to fill the requirements part of the USAF A&P program

and then take your oral and practical for those BEFORE you get out of the Air Force. The reason I say do it before is because if you take your documentation for your OJT to the FAA rep and he sais its not good enough he may just ask for something like a little better documentation or a letter from your boss stating that you do perform the duties you claim in your OJT documentation.
see above

If your out of the Air Force this make it much more difficult.
USAF A&P Program is for active duty only

Last edited by oange ss; 12-29-2007 at 03:24 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Launching!

well i have tried to see what i can do while im in but no one really knows how i go about doing it. so... oh well. i should be out by around april if all goes well. and im going to just go to school and see where that takes me and i can use my GI bill to go school..

thanks for the info and help guys. i think im going to just try and enroll in NAA and start in May and hope that it works out for me.

Quick Reply: A&P License anyone have one????