Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Ever been caught by air police???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever been caught by air police???

My g/f was driving on the 874 near US1 and Dadeland... air pig clocked her at 86 in a 60.

Then ground pig wrote her up... wtf? will that stand in court since ground pig never actually saw her committing the offense??

i haven't had this happen and i have gotten out of all my speeding tickets in miami thanks to the Ticket Clinic...

just not this scenario...

Last edited by The_Wretched; 03-04-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:14 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, as weird as it sounds they do fly planes around and radar people in Florida.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

Well i guess it would stand, considering it was an officer (even though in a plane), and she was clocked at that speed. I don't see why it wouldn't stand, i say you pay it and get it over with. Its the same as those other speed traps you see on tv, where they got one cop hitting you with a rader, and he radios the one down the street to pull you over and ticket you. Good luck with it either way.
-Joel
Old 03-05-2008, 01:28 AM
12 Second Club

Its questionable. Charlie Crist said that in order for a speeding ticket to be issued the issuing officer must be able to confirm that the person their issuing the citation to was the driver of the vehicle at the time of the incident. Hence the reason that cities cant issue speeding violations or red light violations with cameras at intersections because theirs no proof that the driver is the one registered with the plates.

If you can somehow convience a judge that their is no proof that your girl was the one driving at the time of the incident then he may let you off the hook. But usually if a air unit catches someone speeding they will follow them. I would have to know the details to say yay or nay

Last edited by nhraracer; 03-05-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Apparently there are several ways to beat it, at least that is what I've read.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it true thats why on some roads you will see a white line painted across the road and then one a ways down the road? Someone told me that was for air units so they can figure your speed out by the time it takes you to cover that distance.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Is it true thats why on some roads you will see a white line painted across the road and then one a ways down the road? Someone told me that was for air units so they can figure your speed out by the time it takes you to cover that distance.

That is true. My Wife got a ticket like that on I-10 a few years ago. The thing is that she swore that she was driving with the cruise control set 10 mph less than the ticket was issued for.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

Yea, the math is pretty simple. There are usually 4 lines, all spaced at 1/4 mile apart, or 2 lines spaced at 1 mile apart.

The officer can use the time you take to cross these lines and figure out your speed.

For example, you cover the 1 mile in 60 seconds.

If you cover 1 mile in 60 seconds, how many miles will you cover in an hour? 60 minutes in an hour/60 seconds = 60 miles per hour.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:31 AM
12 Second Club

I got a ticket on the off ramp of 417 to I4. They had like 3 or 4 troopers already writing tickets or waiting for the victims that were clocked by the aircraft. Nice little trap they had there.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, they can do that. I've actually met the guy that flys out of PBI in the police 172 to radar the highways.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Banned

"air" police....aka.....cameras along side road that track peeps. Calculate the time it takes you to get from one point to another. It's pretty simple and a lot cheaper than having a plane or helo up in the air just for some traffic tickets.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:11 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by The SSheriff
Yea, the math is pretty simple. There are usually 4 lines, all spaced at 1/4 mile apart, or 2 lines spaced at 1 mile apart.

The officer can use the time you take to cross these lines and figure out your speed.

For example, you cover the 1 mile in 60 seconds.

If you cover 1 mile in 60 seconds, how many miles will you cover in an hour? 60 minutes in an hour/60 seconds = 60 miles per hour.
Haha, we did this exact problem in calculus today. You use the mean value theorem to figure it out. This was about two police cars set a certain distance apart and they measure how long it takes you to get to the second car.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Haha, we did this exact problem in calculus today. You use the mean value theorem to figure it out. This was about two police cars set a certain distance apart and they measure how long it takes you to get to the second car.
You needed to use calculous to find the average speed of a car?
Old 03-05-2008, 04:09 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
You needed to use calculous to find the average speed of a car?
No, it's just a physical example rather than theoretical. Calculus btw.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

well... we are doing Ticket CLinic. I'll post the results. This is her first speeding ticket. She Usually doesn't speed. She's very shy and timid... she's a very sweet girl. The cop asked why she was shaking and crying... that's why i don't buy the 86 in a 60mph zone... i think it's bullsh*t.

i wish i would've been there. I have gotten out of many tickets with the help of the Ticket Clinic...

She has no record.

P.S. I am a law student and will eventually go into politics... one of my main attempts at passing legislation will be to do away with speed traps in FL. I think they are unjust and unlawful. Many states have outlawed them... FL refuses.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

i think the whole speed limit thing is stupid I lived in germany for 8 years drove the a-bahn evryday I can count on one had the accidents i seen
Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or http://opi.yahoo.com/online?u=performabuilt&m=g&t=2Click Banner for Website.
Not Just Built.....PerformaBuilt!

Old 03-05-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

RADAR = stands for radio detection and ranging.
LIDAR = AKA LASER, stands for light detection and ranging.
VASCAR = (Visual Average Speed Computer And Recorder) is a technology for determining the speed of a moving vehicle. It is used by police officers to catch speeders, mainly in jurisductions where RADAR and/or LIDAR are illegal, or to prevent detection by those with radar detectors. A VASCAR unit couples a stopwatch with a simple computer. Speed calculation is done by dividing the distance between two markers (such as a white circle or square painted on the carriageway) by the time the target vehicle takes to travel between the markers. This also allows accurate determination of vehicle speeds by aerial platforms, such as planes or helicopters, making it easier to make a conviction.

** I remember seeing signs the southwest that said "speed enforced by aircraft" or something like that. Also, in my hometown in PA there were those F'ing white line speed traps everywhere almost like a scare tactic. Cops would just hide in someones driveway and clock people going through'em. hehe... A fun prank : if your really bored and have the money to spend on some good white paint, go out late one night and paint a bunch of extra white lines in the same area to mess up that particular trap.

Good luck with the ticket though..
Old 03-05-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had this happin to me years ago and i took it to court. First the name of the cop in the plane needs to be on the ticket so he also can show up to court.

In the court room i got up to the bench and and asked me my plea and i said not guilty and the judge asked the cop what happed and he said it was an obversation from a plane and the judge ask for the other cop in the place to stand up and comment on this and he was not there. BAMM It got dismissed right at that point.

The cop that worte you the ticket never saw you speeding but was only told you were. But they can write you a ticket for that and they hope people pay it with out thinking.

There also books at book stores on topics on speeding tickets and on how to beat them. Its in the law section. It comes in handy.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sunday a sheriffs helicopter was following me around in this undeveloped neighborhood i use as a roadcourse track on my 07 gsxr1000 going 153mph and did'nt even know he was above me until my friend watching me told me.So we left before he called in to the patrol units but he never landed to ticket me.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

from what i know it is just as legal as any other ticket... you can look into it hoping they made a mistake. but the airbone willl stay with you until the ground unit arrives or is in line of sight.. then they are pretty much partners.

Quick Reply: Ever been caught by air police???