Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

More Problems!!!

Old 10-29-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More Problems!!!

Well I got rid of the Typhoon intake and put on a ls6 intake. There were no sealing issues but just to be sure I did that for good measures. I also traded My 2 bar map for a 3 bar map. This is where the problem comes in.

And Yes it has a 3 bar tune on it for those that will ask!

I thought I traded with a pretty respectable FI guy here and until I talk to him I will Not mention any names. Car will not run at all with the 3 bar sensor plugged in. It starts for half a second and dies. No chance of it even running. So I turned up the fuel pressure to see if that helped nope. Got t up to 75 and nothing new.

Then I decided to plug in the 1 bar map to see if it would start. Much to my amazement the car started the first time. DId not run well by any means, so I turned down the fuel pressure the more I turned it down the better it ran was down to 9psi before it ran ok.

So in summary, map I got was bad now I do not even have a 2 bar map. I just want to try and finish this thing. Everyone that says that these projects will nickle and dime you..... Pfff they are not exaggerating.

So does anyone have a working 3 bar that they want to get rid of.

Last edited by sevanseriesta; 10-29-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

on a side note I did get my autotap today. So that was good
Old 10-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem lately. I switched from a 1 bar to a 3 bar and the car did the same exact thing...ran for a second and then died. Would not run at all. I switched back and it works fine. I then hooked up my scantool and watched the map voltage with the 1 bar and it was fluctuating in the 2.5 range. I then redid the wiring a second time and tried the 3 bar again and the car only read around .5 range. I then switched back again and never tried it again because I was pissed. I am anxious to see if you actually got a bad sensor or if something else may be wrong. I still get a p0106 code pretty often, but once I clear it the car runs fine again. I haven't tried testing the voltages from the ground or reference wires. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Teching In

you cannot simply just swap out a 1 bar to a 2 or 3 bar and expect it to work. You will need to have someone with tuning solftware update the correct map values. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by longdrive70
you cannot simply just swap out a 1 bar to a 2 or 3 bar and expect it to work. You will need to have someone with tuning solftware update the correct map values. Good luck!
Just thinking the same thing. I had to rewrite the entire operating software when I switched from the 1-bar to 2-bar setup. That's the main reason I still run a 2-bar....even though the car's NA now Same deal when going from a 2 to 3 bar.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Launching!

I believe his tune was already set up for the use of a 3 bar
Old 10-29-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by realmendrivev8s
I believe his tune was already set up for the use of a 3 bar

Thanks very much, and I apologize I probably should have mentioned that. Speed inc did put a 3 bar tune on it already, I had a 2 bar map on it and it was not running well obviously.

I am going to check some values tomorrow with autotap and see if I can come up with anything but as of right now I have been told that this sensor absolutely worked. So tomorrow we will see what happens
Old 10-29-2008, 11:40 PM
9 Second Club

It was my 3 bar sensor and adapter harness Tomorrow we will get some readings and if my sensor is bad I will send his back. The fact that his car runs with the 1bar makes me wonder about the 3bar tune. Hopefully we will get you going ASAP!!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

It only runs if I put the fuel pressure down to 9psi. This is very similar to what I had to do with the 2 bar map in it. except it was at 28psi with the 2 bar in it.

Question would be why would giving less fuel make it run. I was having a conversation with cablebandit and he made a very valid point to me. Why would less fuel make it run better, as you change sensors and go up (1 bar to 2 bar and then to 3 bar) should you not have to add fuel or is this not correct!
Old 10-30-2008, 12:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
It only runs if I put the fuel pressure down to 9psi. This is very similar to what I had to do with the 2 bar map in it. except it was at 28psi with the 2 bar in it.

Question would be why would giving less fuel make it run. I was having a conversation with cablebandit and he made a very valid point to me. Why would less fuel make it run better, as you change sensors and go up (1 bar to 2 bar and then to 3 bar) should you not have to add fuel or is this not correct!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/1010285-1bar-map-3-bar-tune-experts.html
Old 10-30-2008, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

that is hilarious, We are both on the same page now at least. So do you have any explanation on what might be going on with my car now and that the 3bar is not working.... You know what never mind, let me wait and see what the sensors say tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

that is hilarious, We are both on the same page now at least. So do you have any explanation on what might be going on with my car now and that the 3bar is not working.... You know what never mind, let me wait and see what the sensors say tomorrow.
Did yall ever figure out what was wrong? I had this same exact problem, car would crank up and instantly die but with the stock MAP at least run. Got a new MAP sensor under warranty & it did the same thing. I got on our alldata system at work and got the pinout for the stock map & realized that the the wiring harness adapter I bought had two wires in the wrong location. I pulled out the pins and swaped them around (the black & gray wires) and the car runs beautiful. Man I spent 2 days pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

yup I had a similar issue. The sensor that I had to get was a universal it I guess. What way I thought was right was not. So I had to flip the sensor around. Oh my god started and ran a ton better. I feel bad because me and Cable spent probably 60 dollars in shipping because of the damn sensors
Old 01-09-2009, 08:40 AM
10 Second Club

yup I had a similar issue. The sensor that I had to get was a universal it I guess. What way I thought was right was not. So I had to flip the sensor around. Oh my god started and ran a ton better. I feel bad because me and Cable spent probably 60 dollars in shipping because of the damn sensors
I feel your pain man, I was in a crappy mood (my wife said) and I spent 2 of my vacation days trying to find a bad ground or something else wrong before I found out the pinout was wrong.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:12 PM
9 Second Club

it wasnt the pinout being wrong...just that the plug would slide on EITHER way....and it LOOKS like the way it should go is right but it is wrong...it flips over the other way
Old 01-09-2009, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by cablebandit
it wasnt the pinout being wrong...just that the plug would slide on EITHER way....and it LOOKS like the way it should go is right but it is wrong...it flips over the other way
Mine would fit the other way too once I took off the little plastic retaining clip that snaps on, I pulled the pins out and reversed them because the notch on the other side was bigger and couldnt unplug if somethint pulled on the wires.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hate electrical bugs..... Worst part about cars!
Old 01-09-2009, 06:07 PM
10 Second Club

I hate electrical bugs..... Worst part about cars!
Yeah I hope something like that never happens to my car again.

Search this Thread