Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

347 APS Twin results 800/901

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be trying putting in a higher gate spring first and trying to get 20psi from that .I don't think you can go past double the tial springs very easily even with an eboost or controller. Normally you have to go up on springs to get more boost.
I had to on my 97 talon with tial gate. Had 10psi spring and went to 20 but to go past had to put in 20psi so could hit 30 or so. The aps kit comes with only 7.5 psi.
One test I have pointed out. Disconnect line to gate so it don't open and see what it can get to for boost ..carefully of course.

Not saying its backpressure it could be that too. More testing is a good thing.Course 65 pounds per mnute should have potential to do 1300 engine hp. A big jump on the standard snails. Wonder how much increase in spool up rpm. Not too worried about that since have a 9.5 compression 408 and the standard turbos spool up very fast think full in by 3000 in third.

So not very clear..FP puts in two little wheels and a front compressor cover?I assume they rebalance things... And they charge or you charger 1050 each for that upgrade.
So we are talking reusing our center sections? Or you are saying maybe they modify some mits center sectioins with the new wheels and then you send us those and we install them with the new wheels and cover? Like a core charge thing?
We deal with you or FP? I assume the new compressor cover is 3 inch rather than current 2.5 inch? That is what aps does to get to 65 pounds per minute on the upgraded ones they have in the upgraded kit.
And that 3 inch will require the bigger intake tubes..and a msd aps starter for clearance.
So assume aps will sell you the 3 inch tubes since you are an aps dealer?? Or are you?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will change springs next chance I get, but FP looked at the data and they were pretty confident we were well over the end of the compressor map.

Like I said, I would rather test this stuff first before offering new setups that I have not put on the dyno.

You will deal with ME. FP stated they did not want to get in the middle. We all know, you especially, that they build a quality turbo and have been in the business for quite sometime.

Ill keep you posted for sure.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis

This is OPEN Compressor inlets. At 15#s, we had NOT sucked them shut, but I had a free tech, so we pulled them off. Power gain was not much. 20 at best.

This pull was spiking to 20 psi, and out of steam and settling in at 15 . I need to work on the EBoost 2 settings to help see if we can carry boost a bit longer, but Im not sure if we can. I bet with the bigger turbos and some more fuel, this thing would make 900/1000.... on pump/meth!

This is one of 6 more TT cars in the shop right now

Louis
They didnt suck shut because they are new. Wait till you get more heat cycles on them.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ls1greg
Well... mine are already packed in a box as though they're ready to be shipped somewhere, they just need a label. I could just send them your way. Is this a pair that you'll want to keep forever? Where I'd never get them back? 'cause I kind of want to get back into the game here

Only thing is if this upgrade sounds like it just puts in new wheels and uses larger compressor housing.If the problems are other and in the cartridges new wheels aren't going to help. I have to wonder if aps somehow got substandard cartriges,chinese copies or mabye had some really bad balancing happening. There is zero reason normally for actual mits 20gs to be failing at high rates. And still only seen them doing this on the f body kits. Not seeing it on the c5 or gto boards and have been checking and asking questions on them.

Also if these come with 3 inch inlets they require bigger inlet tubes. Some that won't collapse obviously like the standard old aps ones!

And think you need to add that msd starter on there to clear things as well.

Guess Louis will find out a bit more as he does a few of these upgrades.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh on the subject of wires first had some accel 9000 no stock boots.
Now went to granatelli 1200 degree HT wires. Using just their boots. Engine runs a lot better on 8 cylinders! LOL

200 bucks for the wires but hey if they work not going to complain.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Launching!

numbers like those are gonna eventually sway me to the turbo side of the force for my next car.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:18 PM
FormerVendor

I have 60lb/min hybrids as well as 70 lb/min cartridges on order, were also working on an 77 lb/min housing

The 60 lb/min ( FP76HTA) will NOT require a new compressor cover, just some machine work to it. The 70 lb/min will require an 80mm inlet, which I will see if I can fit with the APS inlets

Louis
Old 12-05-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Well sounds like you are the man Louis! Really looking forward to seeing what magic you can work with these kits.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

awesome.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:26 AM
9 Second Club

sounds like some real power coming are way LOL
Old 12-06-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Very nice congrats! Looking forward to what you come out with.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Patrick G
Killer results Louis. And to think the power that could have been made had I kept the kit for my TA. Nice to live vicariously through you guys.
This was your kit.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Very stout numbers for stock LS1 cubes.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice results!
Old 12-07-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice numbers. Are any of your customers experiencing any of the common aps problems like overheating and having to lower the front swaybar? I put down 700 rwhp without meth and on only 10lbs with a forged 348 shortblock so my car can compete with the aps cars no problem. I like not having the meth for somplicity I decided to fit the biggest ****** ******* air to air intercooler in the front and not mess with meth. I was lucky enough to have ken from HP tuning come and personally put a 2 BAR SD tune on my car and he spent a good 10 hours on the tune. I can only imagine what mine would put down with c16 and 18 lbs without the meth I am confident it would put down better numbers than the aps kit with the stock turbos considering my TC76MPS is rated at 92 lbs per minute. I hit peak boost at only 3000 rpms and hold steady 15 lbs to 6800 rpms with the TC76. I only paid 4300 dollars for my complete stainless Hi-Flo kit with the TC turbo no meth needed with the numbers I got. Too bad Louis that you couldn't have duplicated the Hi-Flo tubular manifolded single turbo kit that maintains A/c and does not even move the alternator or lose any factory accesories. I still believe it is one the best single turbo kits outs there.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 52172
Nice numbers. Are any of your customers experiencing any of the common aps problems like overheating and having to lower the front swaybar? I put down 700 rwhp without meth and on only 10lbs with a forged 348 shortblock so my car can compete with the aps cars no problem. I like not having the meth for somplicity I decided to fit the biggest ****** ******* air to air intercooler in the front and not mess with meth. I was lucky enough to have ken from HP tuning come and personally put a 2 BAR SD tune on my car and he spent a good 10 hours on the tune. I can only imagine what mine would put down with c16 and 18 lbs without the meth I am confident it would put down better numbers than the aps kit with the stock turbos considering my TC76MPS is rated at 92 lbs per minute. I hit peak boost at only 3000 rpms and hold steady 15 lbs to 6800 rpms with the TC76. I only paid 4300 dollars for my complete stainless Hi-Flo kit with the TC turbo no meth needed with the numbers I got. Too bad Louis that you couldn't have duplicated the Hi-Flo tubular manifolded single turbo kit that maintains A/c and does not even move the alternator or lose any factory accesories. I still believe it is one the best single turbo kits outs there.

The sway bar problem is minor and easy to fix. Some simple spacers and endlink change or cut the pipes and put in silicone couplers where the sway bar contacts the pipes is all that is needed for that.
Overheating haven't seen any personally but it don't get that hot up here but wouldn't be overly worried if had to do a lt1 rad or even aftermarket rad.
Inlet tubes sucking shut are an issue but at least they have improved ones now, although not thrilled they are selling them think they should be giving them for free to the original buyers and include them obviously in the newest versions of the kit.

But overall still think my aps kit is very high quailty. The tig welding on the downpipes, intake pipes and intercooler piping all works of art. The fit of everything was very good, Intercooler fits in there great with real stealth type look with the hood closed. Tial is high quality wastegates. The coolant overflow and the windshield washer tanks are sweet and also super nice billet custom pieces.
Manual was great and every nut and bolt came with for 5500 shipped.
I will also debate that your single turbo can compete low and midrange with two smaller twins. Top end might be similar but also can't see spool up being that fast again compared to two smaller twins.

At least you are lucky to actually get a hi flo kit. These small companies come and go and usually take our money with them. I lost 2000 to GMR year or so ago. Glad I didn't go with high flow or OFI went with aps .They shipped and shipped ahead of schedule and even with a few bugs am still very happy with my kit.

It will be great though to see Louis tweaking on it and no kit is perfect always room for improvement in some areas. Glad you are happy with your setup I am mostly happy with mine.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:08 AM
Staging Lane

Any updates , Louis?
Old 12-14-2008, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

What CR does the motor have?
Old 12-16-2008, 09:57 AM
FormerVendor

Compression is 9.8:1. New turbos are already fitted to the car ( 60lb/min) and I should have results by the weeks end

Quick Reply: 347 APS Twin results 800/901