Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Crankcase ventilation - BoostedWarhawk Specific

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankcase ventilation - BoostedWarhawk Specific

Well,

Just noticed that the LS7 uses the valley cover to pull vaccum as well, as opposed to the Warhawk not using that.

Since ill be running 16PSI of boost, whats a good setup for a PCV system.

Ill start by installing an oil-catch can, but other than that what should I do?

Does it sound feasable to route the PCV line after the catch-can to in between the turbo and filter? This way the turbo will be sucking onto the line causing vaccum in the crankcase at all times, even during boost?

PS. Dry sump.

Last edited by ayousef; 12-23-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TTT For you man, I'd like to know about this as well.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

anyone? lol
Old 12-24-2008, 02:52 AM
TECH Addict

The only time the turbo inlet will pull any kind of vaccum will be at WOT/UNDER BOOST, and thats only if the air filters are a restriction. If I had your money I would put a vaccum pump, if you can fit it.

Some people have done systems with catch cans, check valves, and complication. i prefer to keep it simple.

All of the above is assuming your using the ls7 dry sump stuff? If not, run a dry sump with enough stages and it will create vaccum.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
The only time the turbo inlet will pull any kind of vaccum will be at WOT/UNDER BOOST, and thats only if the air filters are a restriction. If I had your money I would put a vaccum pump, if you can fit it.

Some people have done systems with catch cans, check valves, and complication. i prefer to keep it simple.

All of the above is assuming your using the ls7 dry sump stuff? If not, run a dry sump with enough stages and it will create vaccum.
Well, what would you suggest for a temporary solution, I like the vaccum pump idea, and Im sure i can find some space for that thing.

And right, im using the stock dry-sump with the warhawk.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta

Ok, an idea:

what if I use a t-connection on the PCV line, have a check-vavle on the one going into the intake manifold. So during cruising speeds, the manifold will be pulling vacuum.

2nd pipe going to the air cleaner before the turbo, so basically when I boost to 6-16PSI, im sure the air-filter will be some sort of a restriction and create enough vaccum for that short period of time.

The its back to the manifold again. Taking into consideration that this is a dry-sump and will not have much oil vapor.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:55 AM
8 Second Club

That was my idea a little bit ago, the only reason, I did not try it, was at cruise, when you are on manifold vacuum, I think it would create a vacuum leak at the air filter fitting, but I don't know. A solenoid might work, to keep it closed until a certain setting, but I would still like to explore this. That way you have vacuum at idle/cruise and at WOT under boost.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

run a vacume line from the valley cover to a AmW catch can then T it, one to each turbo inlets,
off of each valve cover run a 1/2 hose to a vented catch can like the one i bought
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

its a nice piece

this will vent PCV at WOT and during part throttle , i dont think there is a need for a vacume pump
Old 12-26-2008, 07:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lawnboy
run a vacume line from the valley cover to a AmW catch can then T it, one to each turbo inlets,
off of each valve cover run a 1/2 hose to a vented catch can like the one i bought
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

its a nice piece

this will vent PCV at WOT and during part throttle , i dont think there is a need for a vacume pump
my valley cover has no provisions for a vaccum line, btw were talking dry-sump, will this still work?

so two catch-cans? I still think there is an easier method though.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:38 AM
FormerVendor

I would run a vacuum pump-we usually pick up 50hp or more on a turbo motor due to better ring seal,plus the rings seem to last much longer because they are not fluttering in the bore.

Quick Reply: Crankcase ventilation - BoostedWarhawk Specific