Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

MTI Racing's LS1 F-body Magnacharger system now available for mail-order

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by JC@MTI Racing

I agree that the maggie supercharger is not designed for peak hp numbers and 600rw is probably the most you will see. The great thing about this system is power under the curve. Most driving occurs between 3-4000 rpms and this is where the maggie shines. Peak or high rpm horsepower looks great on a dynograph, but on the street low end torque is what matters.
People say it maxes out around 580-600 RWHP. That's freakin alot. I don't see being able to use much more than that on the street IMO.

My only concern is if the charger is maxed out, does that generate more heat than a charger that wasn't? Does that make sense?

MTI, how much power is the car that has 10.5lbs making? How many lbs are you running on the car that has the dyno graph. I thought I read it somewhere but I can't seem to find it.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Learn to shift. You don't race from 4k rpm.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by N4cer
Learn to shift. You don't race from 4k rpm.
Who was the directed at? If it was me I missed it.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the replies, is there a plan or does one of these exist that is big enough for a 427 or 454?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
People say it maxes out around 580-600 RWHP. That's freakin alot. I don't see being able to use much more than that on the street IMO.

My only concern is if the charger is maxed out, does that generate more heat than a charger that wasn't? Does that make sense?

MTI, how much power is the car that has 10.5lbs making? How many lbs are you running on the car that has the dyno graph. I thought I read it somewhere but I can't seem to find it.
I agree that 600rwhp is alot, about twice as much as the car came with stock. More valuable than that horsepower is the amount of rear wheel torque provided by the maggie on the LS1.

The dynograph that we posted is of our stock 2001 Camaro SS which is running on 7.5lbs of boost. The green camaro that we use as a track car makes approximately 560rwhp on 10.5lbs of boost but also has other mods. To show the values of just the added boost, I am doing some research on some of our previous installs which we did some dyno testing at different boost levels and I will post the numbers shortly.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Banned

If it's the same thing as the LM kit I don't see why they made it.

We had a local camaro owner come by the shop recently who had the above mentioned competitor's Maggie kit. Here's a couple of pics of his car vs. one of our maggie systems. You decide if they are they are the same.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. You do have a nice looking kit.

What about the efficency/speed of the charger. What type of intake temps where you guys getting.

That would be great to see some other combo's to see the different levels of power output.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default supercharger

ok I want to build a mean 408 mild cam with a magnacharger with 9 to 1 and 12 psi . will i be pushing the limit with the supercher and what do u think the hp output would be. the car is a 99 ta m6
Old 01-05-2009, 05:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris'stransam
ok I want to build a mean 408 mild cam with a magnacharger with 9 to 1 and 12 psi . will i be pushing the limit with the supercher and what do u think the hp output would be. the car is a 99 ta m6
i think that would be beyond the effecient range of that blower. sure it would work but really if u wanted this blower id do a forged 347. the maggie is going to make plenty of torque so you wont need the cubes.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

I looked at the dyno graph again and the amount of torque at 2500 rpm is just sick.

The power seems to drop off around 6-6.5grand? Is that where the stock cam stops making power or is the blower? Would a different cam change that?

The fit and finish of the kit looks fantastic. I have been searching the boards for the last two hours reading about Maggy's. There seems to be a lot of negative info on them but I don't know if it's true or not.

It's like when I bought a big TV. I had to sort through all the BS from people that really had no idea what they were talking about which was better LCD/plasma. I feel this situation is similar.

Would a reverse split cam, like the TR230 cam help build more boost because the intake is staying open longer or does it not work that way?

Would running E85 help with the IAT's?

I am not meaning to I will limit my questions or PM MTI. I am just trying to learn.

I have ditched the APS TT idea and am looking at other FI options. Each has its drawbacks.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:30 AM
10 Second Club

You wouldn't want to use a reverse split because you would leave too much exhaust behind, limiting the timing you can run, reducing your power.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Banned

I looked at the dyno graph again and the amount of torque at 2500 rpm is just sick.

The power seems to drop off around 6-6.5grand? Is that where the stock cam stops making power or is the blower? Would a different cam change that?

The fit and finish of the kit looks fantastic. I have been searching the boards for the last two hours reading about Maggy's. There seems to be a lot of negative info on them but I don't know if it's true or not.

The power dropoff at higher rpm's is basicly because the stock heads and cam can't keep up with the supercharger. We noticed this as well in our green 1994 LS1 powered camaro track car. Horsepower began to tail off near 5500 rpms with the factory top end, so we did some work on the heads and installed a new cam which produced 50 peak rwhp. Instead of horsepower beginning to drop at 6000 rpms, with the upgraded heads and new cam it continued to gain thru 7000 rpms.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

The power dropoff at higher rpm's is basicly because the stock heads and cam can't keep up with the supercharger. We noticed this as well in our green 1994 LS1 powered camaro track car. Horsepower began to tail off near 5500 rpms with the factory top end, so we did some work on the heads and installed a new cam which produced 50 peak rwhp. Instead of horsepower beginning to drop at 6000 rpms, with the upgraded heads and new cam it continued to gain thru 7000 rpms.
What are the IAT's after a couple of hot laps?
Old 01-06-2009, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

So I know the meth injection is bad for the cooler (also heard it eats up the blades), but has anyone run just straight water to help cool the temps?

Great looking kit
Old 01-06-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We had a local camaro owner come by the shop recently who had the above mentioned competitor's Maggie kit. Here's a couple of pics of his car vs. one of our maggie systems. You decide if they are they are the same.

Question here, how do you guys route the throttle cable? On your system its on the driver side vs. the passenger side on the other system. I see the cable for you system, just trying to understand it better. Very nice system BTW
Old 01-06-2009, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

I was wondering the same thing
Old 01-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 94 slow
What are the IAT's after a couple of hot laps?
IAT's vary from car to car, driving circumstances, amount of load, etc. The maggie does produce higher IAT's but in no way are they dangerously high. Tuning will accomadate for these temps on each individual basis. We've had great success with our MP112 system even on extended runs on the road course and haven't noticed any siginfigant power loss due to high IAT's.

Originally Posted by MonkeyBoneSS
Question here, how do you guys route the throttle cable? On your system its on the driver side vs. the passenger side on the other system. I see the cable for you system, just trying to understand it better. Very nice system BTW
The throttle cable on the F-body begins on the drivers side of the engine bay and crosses over the intake manifold to the passenger side to mate to the throttle body. Our system simply re-routes the flexible throttle cable eliminating it from ever crossing over to the passenger side.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Teching In

We just picked my "98" F body up from MTI to day. The kit had been installed in SC (where I live) and hauled to MTI for tune. The "98" was a one year wonder as far as the EFI set up is concerned & quick mods to the computer (which MTI did for us) would not let it do any more than just fire up. It's rained every day in Atlanta so a real test drive befor taking it home would have probably ended in disaster so I really dont know what I have till We get it back home and strapped down on the dino.

Maybe I can shed some light on a couple of the above post. 1) The body goes up when the shims are installed. Absolutly nothing changes as to the front end geometry. You will need to have the front end aligned after having the front subframe dropped down and put back up. 2) There are no shims for the rear tranny cross member or the front sway bar where it mounts to the body included in the kit. They should be included. 3) A lot has been said about having to cut a piece out of the body just about where the right WW is to clear the back of the blower but nothing is said about cutting the underneath side of the hood where it crosses the front of the blower at the TB. This actually is not as bad as it sounds and mine came out looking almost like factory original. 4) The blower extends pretty far forward which in my case doesn't leave enough room to get the MAS unit back in front of the TB and still get hooked back up to the SLP box lid. This resulted in having to go to a Speed Density setup which turned out to be a major hurdle for MTI to over come with the one year only ECM. I do plan to come up with a way to get back to a MAS setup as soon as possible. I must say the guys at MTI that I delt with are great. More later

Last edited by NightMoves; 01-07-2009 at 01:36 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 01-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Banned

A lot has been said about having to cut a piece out of the body just about where the right WW is to clear the back of the blower but nothing is said about cutting the underneath side of the hood
Per our website, the system was designed to fit under Camaro SS and Firebird Ram Air Hood. This particular car had a "stock" hood that somebody cut to fit. Looks like a neat idea for those owners who have a "stock" hood.

The blower extends pretty far forward which in my case doesn't leave enough room to get the MAS unit back in front of the TB and still get hooked back up to the SLP box lid. This resulted in having to go to a Speed Density setup
Yes, it is meant to be speed density. Per our website, the MAFS is eliminated with this kit. We've had great success in power and driveability.

NightMoves, Your camaro is a big fat torque monster. It drives fantastic! It starts going sideways as soon as you give it your pinky toe on the gas. Instant throttle response. Keep us posted on your quarter-mile times.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wonder if it would fit under a Firehawk hood.

Quick Reply: MTI Racing's LS1 F-body Magnacharger system now available for mail-order