Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Superchargers/Whipple/ATI Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchargers/Whipple/ATI Procharger

I was wondering what i should go with when i get a supercharger. I have a 2000 WS6 LS1. i heard that the ATI procharger was one of the best ones for an ls1, but i also heard whipple made a good one. i wanting to make some serious h/p out of one if im going to be spending the money...what do you guys think???????
Old 09-30-2003, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: Superchargers/Whipple/ATI Procharger

I say procharger is the best supercharger for the LS1, if you plan on making some serious HP in the future get the tuner kit, and might even consider getting rid of the D-1SC head unit for the F-1, but if you plan on staying stock motor, stock C.I. you will be fine with the tuner kit....

You will need bigger injectors, new fuel pump, some dyno tuning, the list can go on and on...
Old 09-30-2003, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you don't want to worry about belt slippage, and if you don't plan on making over 600RWHP anytime soon, I say Vortech V9. If you move up to more than 600, you can always upgrade to Vortech T-Trim.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:17 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,175 Likes on 764 Posts

I say the Vortech V9 kit is the best kit, it comes with 8 rib pulleys stock and it makes the power.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:25 PM
SSU Moderator

a custom kit is what you want for big power. I would do a V9 up until 550rw...above that...move up to a T-Trim I'd say...and ditch that 'aftercooler' for a real cooler, air-air or another air-water with a good pump and feeder tank. I think the vortech kit needs a better air inlet as well.

the ATI kit is good...until you get some rpm going and the brackets move and you start shredding belts. one dude on there has a vortech and is pushing the G past its max rpm with a little tiny 2.5 or 2.75" pulley...8-rib. no tricks or cogs or whatever, just a good bracket and well designed pulley system.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

The Vortech kit is a very good choice. It comes with everything you need for the install including programming and injectors so you don't have to worry about ordering anything else. ATI makes a good kit but they don't come with injectors, a fuel pump or programming. Those items have to be purchased seperate.

Whipple currently doesn't have a system for the f-body. That would be nice though!
Old 09-30-2003, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

...and ditch that 'aftercooler' for a real cooler, air-air or another air-water with a good pump and feeder tank.
I am using an aftermarket water pump (not the one supplied by Vortech). Its the one used by many high horsepower Grand Nationals. It makes a BIG difference in water flow, and you can feel with your hand that the aftercooler temps are much lower than with the baby Vortech-supplied water pump. My pump is three times the size of the Vortech one. I think it was $150.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

By the way, the water pump is a SHURflo.
Works great (albeit it's BIG)! I got from Bill Anderson Racing in Baltimore, MD.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is it possible to modify the cowl, and get a Magna or Whipple Charger to work? I got an idea......
Old 10-03-2003, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

You could. Magnuson tried this on an f-body. I don't know if they ever got one on a car but it got to a point where they had to remove the wipers and modify the cowl. Anything can be done though

Old 10-04-2003, 12:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Pist off LS1
sent you a PM
Old 10-08-2003, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am mulling over a T trim, with an air to air. I already have the fuel pump, injectors and LS1 Edit can take care of the programming.

Where can I get my hands on a mounting plate and install kit for the T trim? Can I get a cog belt system to fit?

The Procharger just has too many issues with belt slippage. I dont want to lay out $4200 for the tuner kit, only to spend $$$$ replacing belts constantly. My friends Procharged Trans Am is down more then up, due to belts shredding.

Quick Reply: Superchargers/Whipple/ATI Procharger