Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ceramic coatings on hot parts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 02:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default metallic ceramic coatings on hot parts?

I've done some searching and have seen all the different coatings available. Question I have is for the members that use the shinny finish coating like nastyta$ and navydavess have.

How is it holding up?
Do any of you have egt gauges? If so what kind of temps do you see?
Are the egt temps higher in the hot pipes or the dp?

The highest heat rating I can find for this type is 1600-1700 degrees and most say to go with the dull coatings as they are good for 2000+

Last edited by B18CYA; 01-17-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:52 AM
TECH Resident

I have had really good luck on my twin turbo car with the ceramic. It does dull over time but nothing that looks terrible. If you are going to take the kit on and off I would recommend the darker colors. If you want it to look good and be somewhat shiney, do the silver ceramic.

I just did one car with a combination. It turned out awesome, not only for looks, but durability as well!

The tungsten looks great installed!

www.spcoating.com
For more examples.

* (Upper Left) Ceramic-Metallic
* (Upper Right) Titanium
* (Center) Black
* (Lower Left) Tungsten-Bronze
* (Lower Right) Ceramic Piston Crown Coating
Old 01-17-2009, 04:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

how much is that tungsten-bronze coating for a set of truck manifolds? just something for a general size. will that coating hold up to the temps of turbo hot sides?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:34 AM
7 Second/200 MPH Club

The best performing Coating out there is Swain. I use their White Lightening coating on everything from my headers to my down pipes including my exhaust housings great product. Paint it with high temp flat black easy to touch up and looks great
Old 01-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Launching!

I noticed on spcoatings web site the have a turbine housing coated in ceramic metallic which is what I'm looking for. However most coaters dont recommend it for turbo apps thats why I posted, to hear from people first hand who have used the ceramic metallic..
Old 01-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Swaintech is very good but they are not the best. There are a few places that I've seen better product out of but they are small and there primary business isn't automotive.

The polished color does not have the thermal capacity of the other colors. Expect to have to recoat the pieces at some point, depending on use.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CorvetteMajor
The best performing Coating out there is Swain. I use their White Lightening coating on everything from my headers to my down pipes including my exhaust housings great product. Paint it with high temp flat black easy to touch up and looks great
Yeah I've used the high temp black on my turbo teg manifold and it does work. I will look into swain thanks.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Launching!

What I really need to find out is what drturbo is using on that 4cyl manifold in his avatar lol..
Old 01-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Shearer

The polished color does not have the thermal capacity of the other colors. Expect to have to recoat the pieces at some point, depending on use.
This is what I'm talkin about wish others would chime in on there experiences.

What about flex sections are they a problem?

Will it affect vband fittting?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

If your looking for more information google performance coating in Auburn, trying to be careful not to violate forum rules. They also have a price sheet.

Never had a problem with V bands.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by B18CYA
This is what I'm talkin about wish others would chime in on there experiences.

What about flex sections are they a problem?

Will it affect vband fittting?
I'd imagine the stuff will flake off of the flex section after some time. It's not meant to be flexible. Never had a problem with v-bands, not even on the self locating male/female flanges I use.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

Im not promoting a non sponsor. Only giving my experiences with a vendor.

I have nothing to do with the company other than their good work.

As for the turbine housings, Ive never seen fading on them. Only the pipes with extreme temperature and a lot of turbulence. Such as wastegate feed tubes, recirculation tubes, and downpipes with bends. It seems the coatings dont hold up as well on bends. The housings themselves (on my personal car) still look brand new after 15 thousand miles.

Just call some of the people mentioned. But ask about certifications and experience. There is a certain level of certification and quality that must be obtained to buy the proper products.

-Wade
Old 01-22-2009, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

I used HPC semi-gloss black (1700F) on mine and it turned out great. Made a huge diff on both radiant temps and surface temps. Looks really sharp and is easy to clean. I coated my headers, xover, and heatshields.
They make a (2300)F one but its not done in-house so it takes a while and is crazy expensive.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Teching In

They are not local, but check out www.peformancekote.com in Orlando. They did all my stuff in the chrome like finish and it still looks great. They also gave me a 3 year warranty.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive used a few different brands of coatings. HPC, jet hot, swain, and others. Now I use a local (removed family member by marriage) coater that as near as I can tell is the same as swain. I have tested his stuff pretty harshly. Cars dont really test the stuff. 1700 degrees for 1 or 2 seconds isnt really a test. 1400 for 20 minutes is a test. I ve coated a few things on my twin compund turbo cummins, and pulling a 6 % grade at 30000 lbs for 20 minutes is a test. That would be around 35-40 lbs of boost the whole time. I m currently doing another cummins, with coated pistons, chambers, runners and valves. Before I had the manifild coated, both turbo housings and couple other small parts. The shiny silver luster holds up surpisingly well. I ve also used piston coat (for the crowns) on turbo parts. It works better.

If you can afford it, it seems to be worth it, esspecially if you plan on keeping the car for awhile.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

If you can, I would almost favor wrapping the hot parts to retain more heat.

Quick Reply: ceramic coatings on hot parts?