Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Car just doesnt seem to be as fast as it should be...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brianfromhawaii
Chris Im sure he is hows his car doing? does he still only have the cartek cam? I havent been seeing you guys at the drags latly... hows your car doing?

Zombie - I got my hands on some stock manifolds! Damn i work fast What kinda cam would you recommend?
the LS6 seems to be a hard hitter for most set ups and very cheap and easy to find
Old 05-26-2009, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

how are you liking the kyp setup? I wanted a front mount but i got a free rear mount :/
Old 05-26-2009, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Zombie - I got my hands on some stock manifolds! Damn i work fast What kinda cam would you recommend?
That was fast LOL.

As for a cam, I'd run what you have right now unless you feel up to swapping it. If so toss in the other cam you have. What ever cam you do run, be mindful of your spring pressures and valve float. I can get away with a lot on my setup since the LS6 cam is low lift. I have my limiter at 7200 RPMs and shift at 7000.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zombie
That was fast LOL.

As for a cam, I'd run what you have right now unless you feel up to swapping it. If so toss in the other cam you have. What ever cam you do run, be mindful of your spring pressures and valve float. I can get away with a lot on my setup since the LS6 cam is low lift. I have my limiter at 7200 RPMs and shift at 7000.
I have nuts springs as it is. I can spin up to 7000.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Teching In

im working alot lately. we will line up some time my friend. lets see some passes already or some dyno numbers.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mitch.Shea
im working alot lately. we will line up some time my friend. lets see some passes already or some dyno numbers.
My computer just fried last night... Im so ******* pissed.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a side note, while my car has been under the knife, I have been riding my R1.... maybe it just feels like a dog because I am used to the R1?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm.........I wouldn't say that, co'z everybody knows that R1's are not known for their power . Ooops , sorry! I just couldn't resist that.

Although, you really need more boost.... 5psi is really nothing. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have nuts springs as it is. I can spin up to 7000.
see if someone in the classifieds will trade you. I am sure that someone out there has like a 224/228 on 116lsa and wished they went with a larger cam and lower lsa. The mti stealth 2 cam would be one to look into also.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:17 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah just do the mannys and a turbo smaller cam and it will haul.
I used to have a 224 551 114 in my stock cube motor and it was awesome.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

how about a z06 cam?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:02 AM
7 Second Club

Received 335 Likes on 225 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yea probably one of the worst cams out there for a turbo setup (hell even N/A on a stock motor), big headers, and a rear mount @ 5 psi and it's going to feel like ****. Do factory manifolds minus the cats, 02+ Z06 cam because it's cheap and available, and turn up the boost. Oh yea, ditch the Fast 90 setup and recoup some of your money and just drop the factory manifold/tb back on. A big intake like that is a waste of money on the setup you are trying to do. Oh yea, wrap that hotside piping up all the way to the rear, it really does help.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NicD
Yea probably one of the worst cams out there for a turbo setup (hell even N/A on a stock motor), big headers, and a rear mount @ 5 psi and it's going to feel like ****. Do factory manifolds minus the cats, 02+ Z06 cam because it's cheap and available, and turn up the boost. Oh yea, ditch the Fast 90 setup and recoup some of your money and just drop the factory manifold/tb back on. A big intake like that is a waste of money on the setup you are trying to do. Oh yea, wrap that hotside piping up all the way to the rear, it really does help.
Ill do factory manifolds after I decide that the headers do indeed suck... I will tur the boost up to 8 psi and will NOT ditch my fast 90/90. Its a waste of money, sure, but will it hurt performance? negative. I already have it and dont have a stock manifold... hot side piping is already wrapped.. headers wrapped and all. ceramic coated and wrapped REALLLLY well.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Get your fuel at the harbor Brian. NO 10% crap mix in the fuel. Meth kit on the car?

Mitch is still cam only but some retdumdumdum rebuilt his trans and we gotta pull it and do it ourselves. He should just throw mine back under it and go racing already.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:19 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get rid of the cam you have that cam is on LSK lobes if I remeber correctly and it takes a VERY light valve train to make it work well or the valve train becomes unstable real quick The Speed Inc T1 has worked well for a lot of stock CI people just a suggestion, although just about anything will work better and also 5lbs maybe try @9lbs etc... And on a side note which I am sure Zombie will tell you to ditch the headers in favor of the factory manifolds. Of course you could wrap them and that will help from what I have read, but it will aid in spool time and over all performance, the car will feel totally different. GL! I just got back from Kuai on sunday had a great time I just couldn't stand the 25-50 mph speed limits LOL! Didn't see any places to strech you legs over there, but I am guessing the big island is different?
P.S. I didn't read all of the post so if I repeated what someone else said thats why.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chris.shea
Get your fuel at the harbor Brian. NO 10% crap mix in the fuel. Meth kit on the car?

Mitch is still cam only but some retdumdumdum rebuilt his trans and we gotta pull it and do it ourselves. He should just throw mine back under it and go racing already.
yeah but doesnt the harbor only have 89 octane? no meth kit... this was just a kit that mark hooked me up with, i put down ~400hp with a crap tune (no wide band) n/a so im hoping to hit 500 with a turbo, but this car is short lived, i really want a vette as ive told you guys before but man they arent cheap

tell mitch ive gotton pretty damn good at tuning so if he wants me to tune it for him, i will.

Inspector12 - roads here are a bit better, but nothing great... i have headers, but they are wrapped REALLLLLLY well... and coated. this sts kit is not gonna be a long term thing.. but i will put the boost to maybe 8 psi
Old 05-30-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

They sell 92 premium. Check with Mitch. Maybe you can convince him to sell you his vette.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chris.shea
They sell 92 premium. Check with Mitch. Maybe you can convince him to sell you his vette.
Aint got no money for **** right now, plus, im not interested in his vette... auto lights dont work, needs body work, and i just dont dig the FRC/Z06 look.... I mean dont get me wrong, if i had money and he was selling it cheap, i wouldnt care about ANY of those problems... now if he wanted to do a trade, thatd be a different story.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:18 AM
10 Second Club

I will tur the boost up to 8 psi and will NOT ditch my fast 90/90. Its a waste of money, sure, but will it hurt performance? negative. I already have it and dont have a stock manifold
Sell the fast 90 and buy a LS6 intake for $300 I had problems with my Fast intake and boost.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...cs-inside.html
Old 05-31-2009, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1
Sell the fast 90 and buy a LS6 intake for $300 I had problems with my Fast intake and boost.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...cs-inside.html
Not selling the fast, paid 1000$ for it plus like 700$ for the TB when the fast was kinda new on the market 2-3 years ago.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fast is fine up to 20psi no problem. Seen lots and lots of high hp builds running them.
I loctite the hardware holding the shells together, put a bit of extra rtv in there where the rubber gasket is between the shells and make sure to torque the fast properly down in the proper pattern and to the proper torque,loctite on the manifold bolts as well The fast can leak at the map under boost,it don't have factory retainer. So I drilled and tapped mine and use it for big vacuum feed.

Something weird as hell happened to your fast AFASTY but its hardly common.
Fast is superior to ls6 thru the range And you are not always in boost. I like it as can run direct port with it. And have zero worries about it.
Many guys do crack them by not buying the proper valley bolts. They come with the intake.And many crack them from overtorquing the intake bolts.
Also had some small backfiring lately with problem when cam sensor went. It didn't blow the fast burst panels up and think they go open at like 38psi. They are mostly for nitrous backfires.

Quick Reply: Car just doesnt seem to be as fast as it should be...