Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Car just doesnt seem to be as fast as it should be...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Hmm so why did it only lose one and not both? Maybe a defective they do seem kind of hokey. So explain a bit more clearly what happens exactly when a burst valve goes .
So its a massive vacuum leak ? Why would the throttle be at 5500 or something?
I am worried about the burst valves now. I have not gone to even 10psi yet.
Yea, major vacuum leak and motor jumped up to around 5500rmps and car takes off.....I have speed density tune so I think afr was still fine and car was pulling like it was NA.........I immediately clutched in and killed motor......we were in a really bad spot on the highway so I had to start it, clutch dump it and hold car back with brakes to get to a better spot where we could load it on trailer

NOT FUN!

and if you look at the burst panels they are nothing more than thick tin foil so I don't see how they can hold much boost pressure......lets just say FAST gave me a complete refund because we had logs of the entire situation that proved my story and that the tune was spot on
Old 06-02-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok didnt know a major vacuum leak could do that to the rpm. yeah the burst panels do seem as said pretty hokey.Still have to wonder why only the one went.

I think am going to send Tony Mamo an email. He does a zillion of these intakes and
will see what he says.

I found lots of guys running pretty good boost thru them on corvette forum.
here is excerpts

y friend Digivex on this forum has been running his FAST 78, which is an older and

supposedly weaker design, at 18PSI of boost on his car for some time now, making

780something WHP... He ran a 10.5 @ 135 with the car back when it was "only" pushing

14 or so PSI and now he's shooting for 9s...
I think the FAST is about as likely to fail under boost as a stock manifold, and I'm

interested in seeing if one can help my setup make more low end torque and gain a little

bit up top.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...-fast-92-with-

boost.html

mine is holding fine at 16psi and its fresh from the box. No mods done to it at all

I have been running 15lbs, no problem

Our initial testing at 24psi did not show any problems with the FAST 92 intake. We're

planning on running up higher, so we can give additional feedback later.

Ontariovette is running 17 psi (roughly) on his procharged 427....never an issue...

I have several customer cars using the fast manifolds, with 700-1100 hp power from

nitrous to boost, up to 18-20 psi, we have not had one explode. You have to remember

there are unfortunately some malefactor defects here and again, some sony tvs you open

out of the box are bad, this happens. "

Now that means most of them take the boost but still not too sure about the burst panels taking it.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure I have tuned lots of FI/Fast combos that seem to all be fine.... just pointing out that Fast issues weren't urban legends.

I have not EVER heard of LS6 issues with boost, and with plenty of people running 8s on them with FI, I have a hard time recommending Fast at all to my FI customers.

So you want 20-40 more HP, turn up your boost a little more. I am all for nice parts, but they have to justify their investment.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I talked to Tony Mamo a regular on here with lots of experience with fast intakes.
Here is what he said"Buddy of mine has a 900 RWHP boosted 402 in an F-Body (actually a 427 now).....he hits it with about 17 PSI and after a long time finally lost one burst panel (small leak finally started there). Occasionally he hits it with 20 PSI with a different pulley. Whether that level of boost would always be a problem (with the burst panels) is anybodys guess. I could port a new FAST 92 for you and then you can ditch the burst panels altogether if you wanted to (more a big nitrous car safety feature). By the way his FAST is ported and I have another high powered boosted combo with my ported manifold (402 CID)....he makes mid 800's with only sixteen PSI and a small "D" series blower (the other car has an F series).

Some food for thought!"

So I think made a mistake thinking I needed the burst panels. Since am running direct port and dont think it can cause bad backfire. Think only wet single nozzle types can. So I should have saved my money on the burst kit.

I think may still to to a newer fast maybe next spring. I wanted to get it painted up and really not very worried about a new 92 with several guys running them to good power and times. Not sure what happened to your friends fast but it don't seem common. The burst panels well they do look kinda like a potential weak spot.

Quick Reply: Car just doesnt seem to be as fast as it should be...