Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS TT Kit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default APS TT Kit Questions

I am looking at an F-body APS TT kit that someone is selling. It is brand new still in the crates. He said it was one of the first kits out. Were the first kits prone to any problems? Would APS still warranty this kit because it hasn't been installed? Is there someone I can contact about the warranty? Does anyone know what the weight of this kit is (for shipping)? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JoeMack
I am looking at an F-body APS TT kit that someone is selling. It is brand new still in the crates. He said it was one of the first kits out. Were the first kits prone to any problems? Would APS still warranty this kit because it hasn't been installed? Is there someone I can contact about the warranty? Does anyone know what the weight of this kit is (for shipping)? Thanks for any help.
Have you tried asking the company? I'm sure they'll tell you about any warranty information you want to know.

As for early kit problems, I'm not sure.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of previous threads on this. Search aps.
In nutshell doubt you will get any warranty from aps. Problems there are some. Original kits inlet hoses suck shut at higher boost levels. Aps sells upgraded inlets or you can stent them.

Stock sway bar tends to hit the intercooler pipes .Aftermarket bar even worse and think worse on lowered cars. you can use spacers and shorten the endlinks or possibly cut the intercooler pipes and insert silicone couplers in the area that hits.

Some guys have lemon aps turbos. This can be a costlier fix. You can get replacement centers off ebay I got some as backup or you can buy upgraded ones off guys like LG a site sponsor.

piping is good quality, intercooler ,exhaust manifolds etc so aside from these the above they are pretty good kits.
Some aps guys seem to also have oil problems so some are installing scavenger pumps. Scavenger pumps are around 300 or so or less and pretty simple to install.

I am generally happy with my aps kit. I will do some of the above if necessary.
oh manual states you may need a better radiator depending on where you live and how hot it gets. I am prepared to get that and high flo water pump if need be but so far its been fine up to about 80 degrees out.Haven't tried to run air at same time though.
Redline water wetter, 160 stat with fans set to come on at about 180.

You of course need a new crossmember bmr fits and will need a different ypipe if keeping stock type catback..I use hooker ceramic coated one . And of course its tuner kit so you need fuel system ,tuning..
Old 06-15-2009, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some with the first kit had turbo issues. I was one of the first 50 kits and have been lucky and had no issues. I have 20k on the kit now since Sept of 2007. I DD the car in the warmer months and have a blast with it.

All kits seem to touch the charge pipes with the sway bar. I have shorter end links and spacer brackets to go on the car to drop the sway bar down a bit. Might be negated when I lower the car though. Something to keep an eye on.

The kit came in 2 large boxes and they were fairly heavy. But I can't remember the weight of each one. APS might be able to tell you if you can actually get a response from them. Sometimes they are hard to get answers out of.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chronicle
Have you tried asking the company? I'm sure they'll tell you about any warranty information you want to know.

As for early kit problems, I'm not sure.
They do not take questions from consumers, only dealers, on their web site.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

Does it have to be a BMR k-member?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JoeMack
Does it have to be a BMR k-member?
yes.

as for the weight, it is close to 200 pounds.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Veteran

actually think some guys used umi or spohn k member? I used bmr and its not the turbo bmr its regular one and you have to make sure you get motor mounts etc. Don't have the part number handy .
If you are going dual exhaust than no big deal but if you are going catback hooker ypipe works fine think kooks might work if you want to go stainless. Hooker has ceramic coated thats why I got.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes we have had a few members from this board use our K-member with the APS set-up and it worked good
Old 06-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

I have the tti kit and love it and george at turbo tech will stand behind his stuff and any work he does....
Old 06-16-2009, 06:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Aps

I got one of the first kits also and besides the torqe arm hitting the discharge pipes i was happy with it!I would recomend spending alittle extra money and have the turbos checked before installing them LOL Seems there was a few guys on here that had some unbalance turbo problems or something to that effect ??I just got mine FINALLY SD tunned this weelkend by Jerremy up in Gettysburgh ,Pa. I put down 633Hp on only 9 psi LOL I was planning on running 15 psi before i actually had it tunned by him. Jerremy actually had to lock up my converter to even get those numbers because i was actually spinning my DR tires on the dyno wheels! We even put on 4 more rear straps with no luck LOL Im happy as **** and actually glad i didnt need more boost to get the #'s i got because its a strictly weekend ,cruise car and less boost equats to a longer life IMO!LOL Im a former 87GN owner LOL Been there done it LOL
Old 06-16-2009, 06:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Yes we have had a few members from this board use our K-member with the APS set-up and it worked good
Yeah, it technically worked, but "worked good"? Not so much.

Originally Posted by barnat
I got one of the first kits also and besides the torqe arm hitting the discharge pipes i was happy with it!
I think you installed it wrong!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by meman
I have the tti kit and love it and george at turbo tech will stand behind his stuff and any work he does....
thank you very much for this useless post...you get a star for teh day!!

all kits have their issues. some guys had turbo problems others have not. sway bar hitting the intercooler pipes was my big gripe cause my car was lowered but i seem to have it fixed for right now. the bar still touches the pipes some but its not putting a dent in them.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Veteran

I am putting my car to stock height for various reasons our roads being a big one. I also have ordered a smaller spohn 32mm chrome moly bar and going to use my fat 35mm hothckis on my 96z. I am hoping with spacers and shortening endlinks and car at stock height that will have sufficient clearance. If not then likely be cutting the pipes and putting silicone pieces there.

Quick Reply: APS TT Kit Questions