Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Custom High Mount LT1 F1A Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom High Mount LT1 F1A Procharger

Hey guys I have posted threads of my build in the LT1 and Appearance Section, but I don't think anyone there has noticed the custom Supercharger/Intercooler setup that I built.

I think it looks WAY cooler opening the hood and seeing a HUGE polished F1A rather than burying it down low. It took about 15+ templates to get the correct placement of the headunit to clear the engine, hood, and shock tower. I ended up having to tilt the F1A 15degrees from vertical to clear everything, but Procharger said I could just run an extra ounce of oil to accommodate the angle.

In the pictures the charge tube (which is 3" polished aluminum) with the Big Red BOV is out because I had to put the MAF and Airfilter back in to run the car. The engine in the car is a stock LT1 and would probably blow up in about 10 minutes if I had the F1A running.

I am taking the car to MT to put a 385 ci LT4 and Performabuilt Level II 4L60e in. I also have an LS1 ECM conversion that will be going in at the same time (you can kind of see the coils mounted in the headlight areas).

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2146367/9
Old 06-18-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn krazy work! Love the 15" brakes.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I really love watching your car coming along in the build stages.

Was that a stock LT1 T/A nose that you modified?

Please tell me you still have the template for the high-mount F1A? Do you plan on selling a few of those brackets?

I always hated the way they stuffed those blowers so far down in the nose and would love to have a option of running one higher up.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I wish our S/C setups could go in the same place as the Vettes. Good looking setup tho man.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do still have the template in Solid Edge, or any other template style format.
I would consider building and selling them, but they do require a tall hood and I could never check clearance on all types of hoods. My hood isn't super tall but it is taller than the standard ram air hood. You also have to eliminate your ABS module, so it would only possibly be useful to a handful of people.

The cool part about my design is it uses 1/2" aluminum and there are 2 plates instead of just one 3/8" thick mount. On my first Procharger P1SC system the 3/8" mount was bending so it is a VERY weak piece. The 2 plates I designed are mounted about 2 inches apart (one mounts to the face of the headunit and the other mounts on the 1/4" bolts that hold the headunit together), which makes for a very solid mount.

And yes it is the stock LT1 TA nose that has been modified.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Never mind about that LT1 nose question... dug back to the start and saw that it was, the molds for the hood nostrils threw me off (nice job BTW).

I like what you did to the nose to acomodate the front mount IC... think it's the best I've seen yet. How much of a pain in the *** was it to do?
Old 06-18-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I plan on doing the SJM abs delete kit anyhow, so ditching the abs is a non-issue.

How much clearance are you talking about on the hood area? I have ZERO issue digging into my stock hood to make a setup like your work... hell, I'd go as far as cutting out a section of stock hood all-together and molding a new section. Do one on the other side to match and make them hood vents.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can get some measurements form a common reference point (Not the top of the intake since you have a LT4 and I don't have that engine in yet).

I will take a look and see if I could alter the mount any to lower the Headunit a bit to give better clearance, I have mine so high to clear the alternator below it. I have LS1speed's alternator relocation kit that moves the alternator to the drivers side lower like the LS1.

I haven't 100% finished the nose, fiberglassing the center section back in and painting, but so far I would say I have about 2-3 days of work and about $400 invested in the nose, fog light mounts, intercooler, intercooler mounts, and intercooler tubing (gotta love ebay intercooler and 3" tubing kits). When I take the nose off again I will shoot some more pictures of the setup.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

very nice, what pulleys did you end up using? When i did my YSi brackets with the 2 plates this spring is awesome, havent had any problems with it whatsoever. I really like your car its very original and well done. You should hook that thing up, just shift it at 4k and see how fast it is
Gary
Old 06-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Banned

I find this so odd you posted this today. I was just talking to a customer in regards to you using our alt/ps/ac kit and designing a high mount ATI bracket.

looks great

I will direct him to this page
Old 06-18-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
I find this so odd you posted this today. I was just talking to a customer in regards to you using our alt/ps/ac kit and designing a high mount ATI bracket.

looks great

Sorry my engine bay is not the best advertisement yet, it will soon be...
Your alt/ps/ac kit is an extremely nice piece, it's just too bad you never really get to see it to really appreciate it.

I would be glad to answer any questions for your customer.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Banned

yes it is hiding in there and thanks for being willing to help

take care
Old 06-19-2009, 05:26 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by GrnDragon
Hey guys I have posted threads of my build in the LT1 and Appearance Section, but I don't think anyone there has noticed the custom Supercharger/Intercooler setup that I built.

I think it looks WAY cooler opening the hood and seeing a HUGE polished F1A rather than burying it down low. It took about 15+ templates to get the correct placement of the headunit to clear the engine, hood, and shock tower. I ended up having to tilt the F1A 15degrees from vertical to clear everything, but Procharger said I could just run an extra ounce of oil to accommodate the angle.

In the pictures the charge tube (which is 3" polished aluminum) with the Big Red BOV is out because I had to put the MAF and Airfilter back in to run the car. The engine in the car is a stock LT1 and would probably blow up in about 10 minutes if I had the F1A running.

I am taking the car to MT to put a 385 ci LT4 and Performabuilt Level II 4L60e in. I also have an LS1 ECM conversion that will be going in at the same time (you can kind of see the coils mounted in the headlight areas).

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2146367/9
Pic's look great, you did a great job with it! Bob
Old 06-19-2009, 07:31 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks cool from what i can see, but can you please post some pics up on this site directly instead of redirecting us to cardomain? The pics on that site are entirely way too small!!! I wanna see that bad boy in detail
Old 06-19-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I couldn't post the pics here they are too BIG, or at least they are too big for my album!!! What is the best way to embed them in the thread?

Just click on the image on the cardomain site and it will blowup to how ever big your window is. They are actually very large pics!

Oh and I did forget to mention a big thanks to Bob at EPP for the Supercharger/BOV/injectors/driveshaft/and other stuff. He worked out a pretty good price for a custom LT1 kit that included everything I needed and left out the stuff I didn't need.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good, are you going to leave the filter where its at or relocated it? Wondering if it would get too hot right there above the header?
Old 06-19-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Looks good, are you going to leave the filter where its at or relocated it? Wondering if it would get too hot right there above the header?
We haven't decided on the Air Filter yet, it has a pretty large gap from the headers but the filter is VERY close to the shock tower. So it would definitely be a better setup moving it to get fresh air, but I haven't really thought about my options yet.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

could you answer my question about the pullies please? im curious. Also what have you found for belt length
Old 06-19-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED

looks great

Okay Larry I see and yeah this was what we were talking about. I like it, how many pounds of boost are you running?
Old 06-19-2009, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

very nice man!!

Quick Reply: Custom High Mount LT1 F1A Procharger