Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My 370 buildup (for F1 procharger) WARNING: long post & lots of pics!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:22 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by killer71
Nice project! You do realize that although you made a nice selection on the color you did indeed choose the wrong one? Perhaps lil bro could steer you in the right direction!
yea, we have different tastes there in that area I suppose

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Freakin' hurry up man!! What dimensional differences are there between the D1-SC and the F1?
I know I know.. I've been kinda draggin my **** here the last week or two

I did do a lot last weekend, but its nothing that would show up any different in the pictures. Got the intake manifold put on, but thats the only visible difference right now. Also got the passenger side header on and the rest of the exhaust installed, got the starter on, and finished up all the rest of the wiring and vacuum lines, got the procharger put on along with the intercooler piping, etc. Just a bunch of small stuff really, but it took all day last saturday to do.

Left on the to-do list is to get a new crank bolt, get new plugs, oil, and filter (dented the filter I had on it while installing the engine), also need to get a bung for the IAT sensor. Only thing left to install is the valve covers, coils, and wires, and thats really about it.

Ive been wracking my brain to try and figure out a way to put the IAT sensor downstream of the meth nozzle, but I don't think that will happen because the nozzle is right in the middle of the silicone elbow. I’d like the IAT to be downstream of the meth nozzle just so that it can register the cooling effects of the meth and then ultimately in the future when I get the SD tune, I want it to pull timing if it doesn’t see the meth cooling. The way I had it before on my composite LS6 manifold was where the vacuum port on the side of the manifold that was used for the EVAP was drilled out since I deleted my EVAP and I tapped that for the IAT sensor. Well, now with the BBK aluminum intake, I don’t want to drill and tap it there, and I’m actually gonna use that vacuum line for the bypass valve this time. So I’m gonna have a bung welded to the pipe that goes to the elbow from the TB. I thought about putting a bung for the meth nozzle before the IAT bung, but I think it would probably be a bad idea to put the meth nozzle in a location that’s not a direct shot into the manifold. I don’t know how well the meth would want to make that last 90° turn in that silicone elbow.

‘Trust’- the size difference from the F1 from the P1/ D1 housings is only slightly bigger. Everyone with F1’s told me that I would definitely have to either move the radiator forward and/ or cut the support to get the hat to fit. However, I got the stock hat to fit when I had the stock radiator and procharger fan shroud with my F1. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have one of the older F1’s that has a 5.0 step up ratios I really have no idea.. But hey, I only paid $1000 + my P1SC for this F1 with very low mileage on it, so I can’t complain that it’s not the 5.4 step up ratio of the newer ones. I don’t know if my F1 housing is physically smaller than the newer ones or not tho. Maybe Bob at EPP can answer that question if ya give him a call. Now when I put the bigger griffin radiator in, I did have to cut and clearance the shroud to get the hat to fit, but I still haven’t hacked up the radiator support or moved the radiator forward any from the stock location.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, well now you have me toying with the F1 idea, gotta keep the clone up to snuff! I'd like to see the most I can get out of the D1 first though but it'll be an interesting run D1 vs. F1.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:32 PM

...gotta keep the clone up to snuff!...
LMAO Yea, I'd highly recommend the F1 when ya get around to it! Sounds like you've pretty much maxed that D1 out already with a 3.4 pulley I was the same with the P1 I had. Little sucker did way better than I expected on a stock cubed LS6 and bone stock truck heads, 630+rwhp wasnt too shabby at all You are knockin on the door of 800rw already with your D1. No doubt your car would eclipse mine as is now at the track since you have an auto. Hell, once you step up to a F1, it'll totally eclipse mine and leave me in the dust! My only chance is to catch ya on the highway lol
Old 07-17-2009, 03:04 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ChevyChad

‘Trust’- the size difference from the F1 from the P1/ D1 housings is only slightly bigger. Everyone with F1’s told me that I would definitely have to either move the radiator forward and/ or cut the support to get the hat to fit. However, I got the stock hat to fit....

I would think (maybe its a VA thing ) that most people running an F1 are avoiding the 'hat' like the plague though... The part that needs the room is the inlet pipe to the SC, no doubt.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:08 PM

Thats a very true statement. I cringe when I think of how much power that damn hat costs me. I should probably look into something else no doubt... I'll have to play around with it while I'm waiting for the computer to get flashed with the base MAF tune..
Old 07-17-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yo chad great build man (wingnut). After talking to Mike last week, I knew I needed to get back on the FI bandwagon again. Cricket has taken the Blue car back to race and I am picking up a 98 Z, iron block, 370 next week with a new engine and ofi T76 kit. I am going to keep an eye on your new build.

P.S. Mike told me there is not another F-body in town that can beat him.

Gota go, My Little Ponies is coming on.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:39 PM

thanks man. good luck with your toys can't wait to see them when ya get everything together. definitely make a build thread for the ofi kit!
Old 07-21-2009, 12:32 PM

Made a little progress last night. Got the plugs, wires, valve covers, coils, fuel lines, and other small miscellaneous stuff put on. I went with Autolite 104 plugs gapped at .029 I hope this plug works ok for me. I couldn’t find any negative reviews on the plug.. I installed the TB and the top tube just for the sake of taking some pics, but they will be coming back off since I still want to paint the throttle blade actuator thing black, and also I need to get the bung welded into the pipe for the IAT sensor. I couldn’t find a bung at lowes, and all the pipe fittings were cast, so they wouldn’t be good for welding to the steel intake pipe. So I ended up finding a steel spacer at Lowes that was 5/8” ID and 7/8” OD which is about perfect for tapping a 3/8”NPT for the IAT sensor. I should have that tapped by today or tomorrow hopefully. Anyway, here is a pic. I know it looks filthy dirty right now, but it’ll all get cleaned up. At least it looks like a complete engine now

Old 07-21-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

Wow that is down right decadent!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:11 PM

LOL thanks man. It's gonna get even better once I get the small details wrapped up and everything all cleaned and shined up.. So stay tuned
Old 07-21-2009, 01:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
LMAO Yea, I'd highly recommend the F1 when ya get around to it! Sounds like you've pretty much maxed that D1 out already with a 3.4 pulley I was the same with the P1 I had. Little sucker did way better than I expected on a stock cubed LS6 and bone stock truck heads, 630+rwhp wasnt too shabby at all You are knockin on the door of 800rw already with your D1. No doubt your car would eclipse mine as is now at the track since you have an auto. Hell, once you step up to a F1, it'll totally eclipse mine and leave me in the dust! My only chance is to catch ya on the highway lol
Haha, I doubt it man, mines a heavy pig, 3966 with me in it, . It rolls out ok though, but I'll get murdered on the highway! The depressing part is it would be over the 800RWHP mark with an M6, but oh well!

Definitely let me know when you're doing the power pulls on it, I WILL be there!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:23 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ Take a 1000 lbs out of your car. It'll make a huge difference.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:31 PM
10 Second Club

Haha, tell me where to pull it out and gladly!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice build!...I enjoyed reading it from start untill the current point. It also gives me hope for building my next engine I have sitting there!...
Old 07-22-2009, 03:57 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Haha, tell me where to pull it out and gladly!
The weight reduction sticky in the drag racing section is a good start. I've posted everything I've done so far to my 93 in the thread in sig. I think I'm at 322 lbs in crap taken out so far with zero money invested. I still have AC, PS, two stock seats, carpet, all of the interior panels, and I would have a stereo, but my car didn't come with one so I took out the related components.

Some good names to search under for weight reduction are, Magnus, The Juggernaut, Sux2bu, Dlove, RagenZ28 for mini tubbing information, jantzer98ss, and myself. There's a lot of good information out there you just have to find a way to implement it. Realistically, you could probably get your car to around 3200-3300 lbs with it looking exactly the same as it does now.

/END
Old 07-22-2009, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tzion_ben_Arthur
yo chad great build man (wingnut). After talking to Mike last week, I knew I needed to get back on the FI bandwagon again. Cricket has taken the Blue car back to race and I am picking up a 98 Z, iron block, 370 next week with a new engine and ofi T76 kit. I am going to keep an eye on your new build.

P.S. Mike told me there is not another F-body in town that can beat him.

Gota go, My Little Ponies is coming on.
LMAO, now now Wingnut, I didn't say anyone in town(Tulsa area), just anyone in Skiatook so far. There are a couple cars faster than me in Skiatook but I never see them on the street. Actually come to think about it, I have only heard of these cars & never actually seen them at all, LOL. But yes, everyone so far in Skiatook thats raced me has got to suck my pig rich exhaust & see tail lights, LOL.

And you should just DVR the "my little pony" episodes so when your out in the garage you dont miss it, LOL.

Last edited by BIG_MIKE2005; 07-22-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
The weight reduction sticky in the drag racing section is a good start. I've posted everything I've done so far to my 93 in the thread in sig. I think I'm at 322 lbs in crap taken out so far with zero money invested. I still have AC, PS, two stock seats, carpet, all of the interior panels, and I would have a stereo, but my car didn't come with one so I took out the related components.

Some good names to search under for weight reduction are, Magnus, The Juggernaut, Sux2bu, Dlove, RagenZ28 for mini tubbing information, jantzer98ss, and myself. There's a lot of good information out there you just have to find a way to implement it. Realistically, you could probably get your car to around 3200-3300 lbs with it looking exactly the same as it does now.

/END
Mind PM'ing me what you did, or at least a summary?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:41 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Mind PM'ing me what you did, or at least a summary?
Yeah, I'll shoot you a pm tomorrow so I don't have to type it all out on my phone.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:58 PM
10 Second Club

Sounds good, thanks.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

I'm subscribing as well, I am going to be doing a 370 pretty soon, except i have a d1. I'm looking forward to seeing this completed. Good luck with it!!!

--Mike

Quick Reply: My 370 buildup (for F1 procharger) WARNING: long post & lots of pics!