Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Automatic vs. 6spd in the 1000 rwhp range

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You dont have to convince me. I own a twin turbo Vette 6 speed and a Single turbo auto Supra. The Supra at full tilt from a 40 roll will pull away from the Vette from the hit. The Vette might catch it around 140mph, but thats a big might.

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
u guys are entertaining

anybody want to do this in va?

the ONLY negative to my auto swap is that if you get to spinning, it is harder for me to pedal the car and salvage a run... but it is far outweighed.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol.... I will need to change my plates when I go auto
Old 08-09-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll never do it. Gotta have the manual for my highway driving. Curious, how well will an auto, your auto's, hold up to a 1 mile run, @ lets say 850rwhp-1100+rwhp? Would it last through multiple passes? Sure coolers will get the job done but, over a short period of time I think it wouldn't last but, I don't own one so, I don't know. Don't shoot me. We see alot of FACTORY autos getting rebuilt or replaced everyday at work,... we have yet to rebuild or replace a manual transmission. We barely replace clutches,...barely.

Are you guys getting rid of auto's cause gear selection is easier? To be consistent? If thats the case I disagree. I understand with ALOT of power it becomes difficult but,...if this **** was easy, everyone would be doing it. Maybe when I drive a 2000hp car my feelings may be different but,...it would have to be a paddle shifter or something. Manual valve body. Couldn't handle the auto, just doesn't feel like I am in full control, more along for the ride....atleast on the street. I honestly don't know how you guys do it. I wanna make my damn auto DD truck a manual...lol. Less issues.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by toretto
Is this about MR. Sandals and his powerglide viper?

But no, it isn't. Last I heard, they are still working out some bugs.

This thread is about autos doing everything better than sticks.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
I'll never do it. Gotta have the manual for my highway driving. Curious, how well will an auto, your auto's, hold up to a 1 mile run, @ lets say 850rwhp-1100+rwhp? Would it last through multiple passes? Sure coolers will get the job done but, over a short period of time I think it wouldn't last but, I don't own one so, I don't know. Don't shoot me. We see alot of FACTORY autos getting rebuilt or replaced everyday at work,... we have yet to rebuild or replace a manual transmission. We barely replace clutches,...barely.

Are you guys getting rid of auto's cause gear selection is easier? To be consistent? If thats the case I disagree. I understand with ALOT of power it becomes difficult but,...if this **** was easy, everyone would be doing it. Maybe when I drive a 2000hp car my feelings may be different but,...it would have to be a paddle shifter or something. Manual valve body. Couldn't handle the auto, just doesn't feel like I am in full control, more along for the ride....atleast on the street. I honestly don't know how you guys do it. I wanna make my damn auto DD truck a manual...lol. Less issues.
Come on. Be honest. The only reason that you still have a stick is because it would cost a small fortune to put an auto in that C5.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
the ONLY negative to my auto swap is that if you get to spinning, it is harder for me to pedal the car and salvage a run... but it is far outweighed.
That's got more to do with your rear gearing than anything I would think. You run a 2.73 or closer ratio, don't you?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Come on. Be honest. The only reason that you still have a stick is because it would cost a small fortune to put an auto in that C5.
no way bro. Just not my thing. If I hit the powerball,.....still, a manual. A wicked one,...maybe even clutchless,..that I would consider....other then that, I like shifting gears bro. The way I drive on the street, i'd die if it was an auto. Not only for forward movement i like(shifting),..also engine braking...downshiting,..... entering,..exiting, on ramps to your favorite highway. Nothing like fighting adhesion on that corner, and holding a gear brother man. Dunno, I just like to keep it as versatile as possible. I have no real experience with automatics other then big block cars and track only use, only little street use.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

That's got more to do with your rear gearing than anything I would think. You run a 2.73 or closer ratio, don't you?

I have had to get out of the throttle in auto's at times, for a split second, then getting back in it. SOmetimes the TCC changes gears,...when you don't want it to....then will change down again when you think it's gonna stay.

Also driven a few paddle shifted gm cars,.... you can hold a gear, which is cool but, shift timing seems off,...forcing me to shift early,....even though the car shifts when it wants to anyways. I dunno.. a manual valve body car wth some good controls, i'd like to try.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
I have had to get out of the throttle in auto's at times, for a split second, then getting back in it. SOmetimes the TCC changes gears,...when you don't want it to....then will change down again when you think it's gonna stay.

Also driven a few paddle shifted gm cars,.... you can hold a gear, which is cool but, shift timing seems off,...forcing me to shift early,....even though the car shifts when it wants to anyways. I dunno.. a manual valve body car wth some good controls, i'd like to try.
You need to come for a ride. A full manual valve body has no delay and the gears stay where you put them. I can pedal my car pretty good without having to get all the way out of it. There is a delay when pedaling and you have to practice it. I am probably pretty rusty right now because there hasn't been any real street racing in a year or so and my car will not spin at this power level at the track.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

Entertaining thread for sure. The only car I know that could provide any real data used to run inconsistent low 10s (> 700 rwhp turbo Vette) and changed to an auto & ran consistent hi 9s afterwards. AND up until last weekend he hadn't broken anything since the swap either. Alas his IRS finally gave it up. Go figure.....
Old 08-09-2009, 11:59 AM
7 Second Club

Received 329 Likes on 220 Posts

A full manual valve body has no delay and the gears stay where you put them.
This is what it's all about. You change your own gears when you want or need to and is VERY easy to pedal yourself out of any situation compared to a manual transmission. RMVB TH400 FTW
Old 08-09-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

you guys with 1000rwhp cars, your T56's are still holding up??
Old 08-09-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
you guys with 1000rwhp cars, your T56's are still holding up??
1100rwhp and not a single issue!
Old 08-09-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

You need to come for a ride. A full manual valve body has no delay and the gears stay where you put them. I can pedal my car pretty good without having to get all the way out of it. There is a delay when pedaling and you have to practice it. I am probably pretty rusty right now because there hasn't been any real street racing in a year or so and my car will not spin at this power level at the track.
Werd, i'm down for the ride. But, your going for one too.

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Entertaining thread for sure. The only car I know that could provide any real data used to run inconsistent low 10s (> 700 rwhp turbo Vette) and changed to an auto & ran consistent hi 9s afterwards. AND up until last weekend he hadn't broken anything since the swap either. Alas his IRS finally gave it up. Go figure.....

I have no doubt the SHOCK from a 5500rpm dump will hurt a drivetrain pretty badly. The C5/C6 cars just don't like being launched like that. They simply split cases, and gears and ****. It's very commmon for vette guys to go to an auto, I know but, the "typical" vette driver,..simply can't drive either. I think "pilot error: is the result of your buddies recent success. Thats my opinion anyways. Some people can shift quickly, some can't.

Originally Posted by otherwhitemeat
1100rwhp and not a single issue!
Good to hear.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

check this wacky **** out. Wicked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUSPwmN9MWE
Old 08-10-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only reason the t56's are holding up is the way they are driven. We're comparing apples to oranges. Rolling highway pulls aren't going to hurt anything. Spinning on the street isn't going to hurt anything. Dump the clutch at 5k with traction, power shift the hell out of it, and get back to me. haha
Old 08-10-2009, 02:26 PM
9 Second Club

Talking

Originally Posted by Firechikn
The only reason the t56's are holding up is the way they are driven. We're comparing apples to oranges. Rolling highway pulls aren't going to hurt anything. Spinning on the street isn't going to hurt anything. Dump the clutch at 5k with traction, power shift the hell out of it, and get back to me. haha
I have broken 4 T56's from roll ons, 3rd gear to be exact.

the result:

Old 08-10-2009, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Firechikn

All I do is powershift. Killed plenty of transmissions in my day,...5 or more,...just not in this vette. Yet.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I loved my stick with the turbo, ESPECIALLY in between shifts... BUT I've read nothing but good things about how autos load them turbos...

If I were to have gone blower or nitrous, I definitely would have stuck with the stick until it broke.

How many guys in here can say they're built T56 only cost them $700 without the clutch? And it must be able to support 1200rwhp
Old 08-10-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

::sniffs the air::

I smell a bunch of bracket racers in here

Personally, I prefer the 6-speed with an anti lag and WOT/no-lift shift. Always have and always will, for a street/strip car. It all comes down to the drivers ability in a manual. They're not for everybody.

Last edited by The Beast; 08-10-2009 at 08:26 PM.