Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Automatic vs. 6spd in the 1000 rwhp range

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009 | 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Six speeds have their place, and I think it has been proven time and time again that they are as fast if not faster than the auto crowd. Maybe not in the turbo world, but how many people had a combo that could have been competative?

Bottom line is most classes put a penalty on stick cars... LSX shootout has a penalty on sticks this year. Autos can be lighter than sticks. Why is that?

Getting a stick car to leave like an auto takes lots of time and dedication, but once it is dialed in with the right clutch setup (clutch is key) there are actually several advantages to a stick over auto.
Old 08-04-2009 | 04:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
My car is a street car and I know a little something about street racing.

Here's me and LS2Formula playing around doing some gay roll racing. This is with my old LS2 408 w/ 380 shot progressive from a 40 roll (try that with a stick with 900 rwhp). The camera car is LS2Formula with a passenger obviously against me by myself. He had the weight handicap as his car was running consistant 8.9x in the 1/4. Both of these cars had the A/C in at the time, full stereo systems with subs and navigation. Power everything. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InS4D5Cx0wE

Here's a real street race from a dig. Lots of prep was done to this road. I am in the outside lane leaving on a 100 shot and the tbrake and ramping in the rest of the spray over 3 seconds. The near lane is a twin turbo TA that had just run an 8.8 the previous weekend at a track rental in Bradenton FL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj8NIHOPxMg
try what with a stick? a 40 roll. ok.

just like your car is a progressive nitrous. i would use my boost control to ramp in the boost from gear to gear.
Old 08-04-2009 | 05:20 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6
Six speeds have their place, and I think it has been proven time and time again that they are as fast if not faster than the auto crowd. Maybe not in the turbo world, but how many people had a combo that could have been competative?

Bottom line is most classes put a penalty on stick cars... LSX shootout has a penalty on sticks this year. Autos can be lighter than sticks. Why is that?

Getting a stick car to leave like an auto takes lots of time and dedication, but once it is dialed in with the right clutch setup (clutch is key) there are actually several advantages to a stick over auto.
You are correct. A properly setup RACE ONLY slipper clutch/transmission will perform as well or better than an automatic.

On the flip side, I bet that with the proper stalled auto, your car would run atleast 3 tenths faster in the quarter mile.
Old 08-04-2009 | 05:30 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6

just like your car is a progressive nitrous. i would use my boost control to ramp in the boost from gear to gear.
When you get your auto, you'll understand
Old 08-04-2009 | 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are correct. A properly setup RACE ONLY slipper clutch/transmission will perform as well or better than an automatic.

On the flip side, I bet that with the proper stalled auto, your car would run atleast 3 tenths faster in the quarter mile.

I probably could shave off .3 with an auto cause my car has to be launched very soft to keep the tires happy. But I bet I can get .4 with a clutch change and face plated gears. That's my next step.
Old 08-04-2009 | 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

@ almost 800rwhp my car dead hooked @ 35mph up until 5000rpm,...quick speed shift into second,...dead hooked agian, and would stay that way when I was running a shitto drag radial on an 18" wheel. No boost by gear, no tcs,... NADA.
Old 08-05-2009 | 08:45 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
@ almost 800rwhp my car dead hooked @ 35mph up until 5000rpm,...quick speed shift into second,...dead hooked agian, and would stay that way when I was running a shitto drag radial on an 18" wheel. No boost by gear, no tcs,... NADA.
thank you for proving my point!
Old 08-05-2009 | 08:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
so at this time is you stall slipping?

if not then would a manual hold jsut the same?

if you are not slipping that is just like a clutch(per say) and a gear is a gear. so if you arent slipping in stall. stick could/should do say thing
Old 08-05-2009 | 09:20 AM
10 Second Club

if you are not slipping that is just like a clutch(per say) and a gear is a gear. so if you arent slipping in stall. stick could/should do say thing
Unless he through an auto in his FRC, they are all 6 speeds.
Old 08-05-2009 | 09:42 AM
Restricted User

V-series has a stick but the power that he is making from a 35 mph roll is not even close 800 rwhp. That's why he has to shift by 5000 RPM because that is when his full boost is probably coming in and would blow the tires right off mid gear.

When I pushed in the gas pedal on that video from a roll, it's instant power and the converter would flash over 5500 RPM instantly. No stick car could hang with me at that power level from such a low roll (60 roll yes but not 40). They either got stretched by 2 cars right from the hit or would blow their tires off. V-series is aware of what the street racing scene in this area was like a year or so ago. His car is down right now I think but once it comes back, we can do some testing.
Old 08-05-2009 | 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

WOW........so many comments about something that is simply BLACK AND WHITE. If you ONLY plan to race a 1000 HP car your ONLY senseable option is auto. PERIOD!!!!!!!

If it is a 'FUN' car raced only a little a stick is much higher on the 'FUN' factor scale.
Old 08-05-2009 | 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mr.427
WOW........so many comments about something that is simply BLACK AND WHITE. If you ONLY plan to race a 1000 HP car your ONLY senseable option is auto. PERIOD!!!!!!!

If it is a 'FUN' car raced only a little a stick is much higher on the 'FUN' factor scale.
lol wat
Old 08-05-2009 | 12:21 PM
Banned

V-series has a stick but the power that he is making from a 35 mph roll is not even close 800 rwhp. That's why he has to shift by 5000 RPM because that is when his full boost is probably coming in and would blow the tires right off mid gear.

When I pushed in the gas pedal on that video from a roll, it's instant power and the converter would flash over 5500 RPM instantly. No stick car could hang with me at that power level from such a low roll (60 roll yes but not 40). They either got stretched by 2 cars right from the hit or would blow their tires off. V-series is aware of what the street racing scene in this area was like a year or so ago. His car is down right now I think but once it comes back, we can do some testing.
but you didnt stretch out by two cars in the video. (grantit idk if the other car is a stick or not) but you hit it hard ok. that is fine. 40 roll for me in my stick car would be first gear. now to keep myself from spinning the tires off i could just start in 2nd gear( with that much power it wouldnt be long and it would be going)

but at the end of the day to each their own. you have fun woth your auto. and i will have fun with my stick
Old 08-05-2009 | 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Broke EF
The answer is neither has an advantage, because roll racing is gay.

Sean
LMGDAO
Old 08-06-2009 | 08:34 AM
Restricted User

but you didnt stretch out by two cars in the video. (grantit idk if the other car is a stick or not) but you hit it hard ok. that is fine. 40 roll for me in my stick car would be first gear. now to keep myself from spinning the tires off i could just start in 2nd gear( with that much power it wouldnt be long and it would be going)

but at the end of the day to each their own. you have fun woth your auto. and i will have fun with my stick
Both those cars that I was racing were stalled autos. The roll race was a glide and the turbo car has a th400.

If you're board, go on you tube and search for snapoffracing or nitrousjamie. There are lots of videos of the local race scene. We have a bunch of guys and are pretty well organized. The street racing has died off since they opened the new track and relaxed the tech rules to get us off the street. No real point in risking street racing anymore.
Old 08-06-2009 | 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't run 1000 hp on the street, but I do run in the 800-900 range.

I'm not going to read through all that, but I'll throw in my expereince. I was 6spd. and swapped to a 4l80. My car with the same boost as before, is way faster with the auto, even from a roll. You can imagine having to build rpm with the m6. With the auto, you stay right were you need to be, all the time.

I used to break spool the car with the m6. I would spool to 11-12 lb going down the road, and dump it. Even with boost built, its still slower than just flooring the auto, and letting the converter flash. Just ask the bikes around, and I'm not even on race gas. haha
Old 08-06-2009 | 10:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Firechikn
I was 6spd. and swapped to a 4l80. My car with the same boost as before, is way faster with the auto, even from a roll. You can imagine having to build rpm with the m6. With the auto, you stay right were you need to be, all the time.
Yet another former 6spd owner that has seen the light. It must suck that it's not as much fun to drive now as it was when it was 6spd though.

I was a cry baby wuss about switching out my T56 for Th400. Could have saved myself a few thousand by listening to my friend sooner instead of wasting it on clutches.
Old 08-07-2009 | 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

True. But only in 1st gear,...2nd gear, zero spin. Also shifted as close to 6K or under due to my fuel starvation issue starting at 5500rpm. This is last setup,.. a real fuel system and upgrades in the works.

And for the record, you guys are, and have been some of the fastest LSX's in south florida,...not to mention probably the fastest stangs in SOFLA,..atleast on the street...where it counts. Hoping once we get these POS's squared away we can get some runs in with the cars. Heres my old dyno on the stock bottom. and 11psi, and 12degrees of timing

Old 08-08-2009 | 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Is this about MR. Sandals and his powerglide viper?
Old 08-08-2009 | 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

u guys are entertaining

anybody want to do this in va?

the ONLY negative to my auto swap is that if you get to spinning, it is harder for me to pedal the car and salvage a run... but it is far outweighed.