Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My TURBO 'd 6.0 T/a Sucks!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SD99TA214
Um we playd that game last fri you ran one thousandth of a second faster then me , WITH my car NOT hitting 3rd gear...but you still LOST cuz you REDLITE!!!!

Come on people ona turbo car an ls1 to a ls6 wont make a dime in power. the air is getting forced in there , no more differance there is between the intakes.

im gona try a few tricks and i get back at ya!

try blowing threw a coffee cup stir straw and then blow through a whataburger straw and see if there is a difference.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by outonyou
try blowing threw a coffee cup stir straw and then blow through a whataburger straw and see if there is a difference.
i feel ya
Old 08-06-2009, 12:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More flow more power...the easier the air can get in the better off you are...talk to jose...I have an LS6 that I might be selling...duke if out for the buy lol
Old 08-06-2009, 01:13 AM
9 Second Club

id do the trans before for anything else
Old 08-06-2009, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

ditto...hey wait...im selling one of those too lol...sam...you need to call me and get that trans!
Old 08-06-2009, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Um we playd that game last fri you ran one thousandth of a second faster then me , WITH my car NOT hitting 3rd gear...but you still LOST cuz you REDLITE!!!!

Come on people ona turbo car an ls1 to a ls6 wont make a dime in power. the air is getting forced in there , no more differance there is between the intakes.

That's just a retarded statement. If your trick is putting on a ls6 intake then that isn't a trick.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:06 PM
9 Second Club

im gona try a few tricks and i get back at ya![/QUOTE]

Your statement is true to a certain point, then it becomes a restriction.
If this was truly the case then there would be no need for the 9,8,7sec. guys switching out stock intakes to better flowing intakes.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

fix the trans if its slipping.. that would be the most thing im worried about.. had my trans slipping in my old 454 bbc and got beat by some damn lil rice burners.. rebuild tranny i was whooping a$$ again..
Old 08-07-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

get rid of the ls1 intake and put on a vic jr.
fix ur tranny.
Get it retuned and dynoed at another shop.

that covers most of your obvious issues, correct?
Old 08-08-2009, 08:32 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If he's seeing 13# of boost with a restrictive ls1 intake, wouldn't he see less boost pressure going with a better flowing ls6 intake? Isn't boost just a measurement of pressure and not actual airflow to the engine. So in theory, switching to an ls6 could drop your boost to lets say 10#, but pick up 30-40hp at least considering n/a guys with heads cam headers see at least 20-25hp from the swap, I know I did.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
If he's seeing 13# of boost with a restrictive ls1 intake, wouldn't he see less boost pressure going with a better flowing ls6 intake? Isn't boost just a measurement of pressure and not actual airflow to the engine. So in theory, switching to an ls6 could drop your boost to lets say 10#, but pick up 30-40hp at least considering n/a guys with heads cam headers see at least 20-25hp from the swap, I know I did.
BINGO! couldnt have said it better myself!
Old 08-08-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by outonyou
BINGO! couldnt have said it better myself!
On a turbo car with the wastegate referenced at the intake the boost will stay the same. If it were supercharged you would see a decrease in boost when you improve the ve of the motor.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:38 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I see what you guys are saying about the difference between a supercharger and a turbo. But I guess it's more like fuel injectors and fuel pressure.

55psi of fuel pressure into 28lb injectors will only squirt so much fuel, but 55psi of fuel pressure going into 60lb injectors will put in a lot more fuel.

So if the ls1 intake is a restriction, or his exhaust manifolds or downpipe, it doesnt' matter if he's making 13# of boost or 30#, it's all about how much air he can flow through the motor at any given time.

If I'm wrong correct me, because I am no FI expert by any means, just trying to learn and think things out.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I see what you guys are saying about the difference between a supercharger and a turbo. But I guess it's more like fuel injectors and fuel pressure.

55psi of fuel pressure into 28lb injectors will only squirt so much fuel, but 55psi of fuel pressure going into 60lb injectors will put in a lot more fuel.

So if the ls1 intake is a restriction, or his exhaust manifolds or downpipe, it doesnt' matter if he's making 13# of boost or 30#, it's all about how much air he can flow through the motor at any given time.

If I'm wrong correct me, because I am no FI expert by any means, just trying to learn and think things out.
i am under the same impression you are, hence the reason i suggested the Vic Jr intake. We may both be wrong, but i am damn near positive that getting rid of that LS1 intake is a must. Those things suck, and suck badly.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

I think you need more timing. I'm running a 346ci with a t-70 turbo and a 231/237 112+4 cam. I made 500 hp to the wheels with 6 psi. With a more turbo friendly cam I probably would have made more power. Until the tuner brought the timing up I wasn't making any power. I don't have a way of logging my timing but my tuner said I was at 23 max timing. The cam must need the timing, i don't know. I don't think my timings too aggressive, not getting any knock and I haven't blown up yet.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:55 AM
12 Second Club

if the ls1 intake was no different than an ls6 why did the they put the ls6 intake aon 01 and 02 camaros????
Old 08-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Teching In

*THIS IS JUST AN OPPINION*

1) If your running a stock LS1 intake I would rip that thing off the car and run an LS6 intake.

2) I would run a Lingenfelter GT7 Camshaft 350-383-427 LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6 208/230 .554/.546 121CL

3) Your converter is holding you back on the dyno tremendously

4) Should be running 15* timing

I'm not an expert and don't claim to be but this is my oppinion after years of being a forced induction techie
Old 08-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
On a turbo car with the wastegate referenced at the intake the boost will stay the same. If it were supercharged you would see a decrease in boost when you improve the ve of the motor.
You sure about that? Doesn't look right. Wastegate allows XX psi of exhaust pressure before it pops off. It has nothing to do with what is happening on the cold side unless you are running a fancy boost controller that is actually referencing manifold pressure (via a MAP sensor) to regulate the amount of pressure put to either side of the diaphragm.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

I am far from a turbo expert by any measure, but it seems to me you have quite a few issues going on with your setup, all of which have been addressed here in this thread.
like said...
1. dump your manifold. Get a Vic JR. Your LS1 intake is a huge restriction on NA cars, on a turbo car it is like trying to blow through a straw. ****-can that thing.
2. fix your tranny issues. You cant dyno the car accurately with a tranny that is slipping and ******* up left and right.
3. Up your timing\fix your tune. Like said by many people, your level of timing is very low. Something is very wrong in your tune i would bet. Ooorrrr, it could be that due to your whacked out intake or other issues your tune can's be set correctly.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
You sure about that? Doesn't look right. Wastegate allows XX psi of exhaust pressure before it pops off. It has nothing to do with what is happening on the cold side unless you are running a fancy boost controller that is actually referencing manifold pressure (via a MAP sensor) to regulate the amount of pressure put to either side of the diaphragm.

Yes I am sure. The exhaust pressure does not actuate the wastegate valve...the reference ports on it do. Want proof...go pull the reference line off your gate and hold on, lol.

With a supercharged car you have a fixed amount of airflow. If you do anything to the motor to help it breathe better you will see less boost and the same or more power.

With a turbocharged car the wastegate controls the boost. The wastegate works off of a pressure reference. It does not care if it is on a stock ls1 motor or a 408/big cam/nice heads/sheet metal intake. The wastegate will still operate on pressure. The motor will be flowing a **** ton more with the larger motor but the wastegate/boost control system will still try to achieve the same boost.

P.S. I'll be in the minority, if you dont have the money to spend on the intake then dont worry about it. I've switched from a ls1 to a ls6 intake at 650 rwhp and it only made 680. 30 rwhp is 30 rwhp but with turbo's sometimes 30 rwhp can be cheaper then $300-350.

Quick Reply: My TURBO 'd 6.0 T/a Sucks!!!!