Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My TURBO 'd 6.0 T/a Sucks!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
You sure about that? Doesn't look right. Wastegate allows XX psi of exhaust pressure before it pops off. It has nothing to do with what is happening on the cold side unless you are running a fancy boost controller that is actually referencing manifold pressure (via a MAP sensor) to regulate the amount of pressure put to either side of the diaphragm.
waste gate runs off the cold side... when it see's xxx amount of bost it opens.. nothing to do with exhaust pressure.. too high exhaust pressure is caused by too small of turbo or too small of wastegate which causes boost creep.. nice ride by the way.. bad ***!!.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
Yes I am sure. The exhaust pressure does not actuate the wastegate valve...the reference ports on it do. Want proof...go pull the reference line off your gate and hold on, lol.

With a supercharged car you have a fixed amount of airflow. If you do anything to the motor to help it breathe better you will see less boost and the same or more power.

With a turbocharged car the wastegate controls the boost. The wastegate works off of a pressure reference. It does not care if it is on a stock ls1 motor or a 408/big cam/nice heads/sheet metal intake. The wastegate will still operate on pressure. The motor will be flowing a **** ton more with the larger motor but the wastegate/boost control system will still try to achieve the same boost.

P.S. I'll be in the minority, if you dont have the money to spend on the intake then dont worry about it. I've switched from a ls1 to a ls6 intake at 650 rwhp and it only made 680. 30 rwhp is 30 rwhp but with turbo's sometimes 30 rwhp can be cheaper then $300-350.
I see what your saying. It needs to get to XX boost before there is enough boost assist on the diaphragm to pop off the wastegate. So the only way that a drop in boost would be seen from removing a restriction would be if the turbo is maxed out already and the wastegate isn't doing anything.

Quick Reply: My TURBO 'd 6.0 T/a Sucks!!!!