Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Calling out APS

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009 | 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TNTramair
wow...wasnt this locked a few minutes ago?? lol.

if anything, this thread will make it out to the Corvette forums and GTO forums and possibly taint their reputation and affect future business. sad it has to come to that but at this point we're stuck with what we've purchased with absolutely 0 help from Peter or APS.

ive come to the conclusion that im on borrowed time with my turbos and will need to get them replaced ASAP. i just hope if one of them goes it doesnt take out my new forged shortblock with it. im tryin to not driving it as much as i can to avoid having anything happen untill i have the coin for LG's upgrades.
save your engine man! that thing is a beaut!

I was just about to place an order with APS but Thank you Silverado!

are there any skilled welders here? maybe you can start ripping off their design. I dont think they got patents for their Intercooler.
Old 08-21-2009 | 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member
LS1Tech 10 Year

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by svg210
save your engine man! that thing is a beaut!

I was just about to place an order with APS but Thank you Silverado!

are there any skilled welders here? maybe you can start ripping off their design. I dont think they got patents for their Intercooler.
there are way better design ic than the aps. and lower priced to boot
Old 08-21-2009 | 02:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to see these other kits and their prices. I have other friends that might be into a twin kit. So please feel free to post your prices and pics of kits KYTP or anyone else. And list what exactly you are including. And for the record not a big fan of master power turbos either.I prefer garett or genuine mits.Turbonetics on the fence about. They used to be pretty terrible but might be ok last few years. Some guys have good luck with holesets and Borg Warner too I think.
Old 08-21-2009 | 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NemeSS
there are way better design ic than the aps. and lower priced to boot
So whats wrong with the design of the intercooler? The thing fit great and keeps my iat way down. And only really seen cooling problems over 90 degrees with air on and when had the car pretty lean at idle and timing was a bit whacked as well.
Old 08-21-2009 | 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I have talked to Josh before and his work seems to be top notch. However I don't know if he makes a twin turbo setup.
If you have the cash and are patient Josh will make you whatever you want. He stated a while back that he was only going to do one build at a time and when that was finished he would take on another.

Originally Posted by boostedinaz
Any one have a link to this? It is slow today and drama filled threads make the day go by sooo fast.
Just search for it. Im sure its buried somewhere here.

EDIT: Found these for ya.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-inc-help.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...speed-inc.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-s...ed-me-off.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-s...nc-thread.html

Anyways, hopefully the guys that had their motor destroyed will get refunds of the systems AND the cost of their motor. This is just sickening.
Old 08-21-2009 | 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
So whats wrong with the design of the intercooler? The thing fit great and keeps my iat way down. And only really seen cooling problems over 90 degrees with air on and when had the car pretty lean at idle and timing was a bit whacked as well.
for starters aps or whoever will never sell them individually now. if its keeping your iat down, then its doing its job as its supposed to. there a good design, but there are better.
theres nothing wrong with mp turbos, there way better than the junk aps is pedalling thats for sure. ive had no probs. with the mp before. one car i built with a mpt70 runs hi 9's on pump and has over 10k miles so ther not all that bad.
Old 08-21-2009 | 02:38 PM
On The Tree

I think a lot you you guys/gals are being a bit too harsh on Peter.

I don't think Peter ever said that we would be getting genuine Mits Turbos.

The turbos seem to have reliability problems, but it is disappointing that no one who had a bad turbo has sent it to APS to investigate. How are they supposed to improve their product if they don't see any failed units.

As for APS stopping the production of turbo kits for american cars, that is a business decision they had to make. In order for them to keep the prices low, they probably need to buy large quantities (20+) of parts. If they order parts for 20+ kits, then those parts (and the $) sits on their shelf until someone buys it. With the first couple batches, they waited until they had x amount of pre-orerders before they produced any of the kits. It probably didn't make sense for them to have all of this $ sitting on there shelves. I am pretty sure I heard a few months back that APS stopped making f-body kits. This thread confirmed that.

I don't have any regrets with my APS kit. From what I can see, all of the parts (minus the turbos) are very high quality. No has had any issues with the other parts. I feel APS knew they were not getting genuine Mits turbos, but they felt the turbos they were getting were reliable enough. The chinese manufacturer problem sent them a very well built turbo that they did there testing with, but when it came to production, the quality went down because the chinese already had the business.

I would have spent the extra $1000 for genuine Mits turbos if I was offered the option.

I have no hard feeling against APS. They offered a nice kit and they delivered. Did I expect the kit to be 100% problem free, no. We are talking about aftermarket auto parts here, how often do you get something that is 100% problem free?
Old 08-21-2009 | 02:45 PM
On The Tree

This reminds me of some DSM vendors. Simple cut and run scheme.

Sweet thanks. End of day here I come.
Old 08-21-2009 | 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by WS6 John
I think a lot you you guys/gals are being a bit too harsh on Peter.

I don't think Peter ever said that we would be getting genuine Mits Turbos.

The turbos seem to have reliability problems, but it is disappointing that no one who had a bad turbo has sent it to APS to investigate. How are they supposed to improve their product if they don't see any failed units.

As for APS stopping the production of turbo kits for american cars, that is a business decision they had to make. In order for them to keep the prices low, they probably need to buy large quantities (20+) of parts. If they order parts for 20+ kits, then those parts (and the $) sits on their shelf until someone buys it. With the first couple batches, they waited until they had x amount of pre-orerders before they produced any of the kits. It probably didn't make sense for them to have all of this $ sitting on there shelves. I am pretty sure I heard a few months back that APS stopped making f-body kits. This thread confirmed that.

I don't have any regrets with my APS kit. From what I can see, all of the parts (minus the turbos) are very high quality. No has had any issues with the other parts. I feel APS knew they were not getting genuine Mits turbos, but they felt the turbos they were getting were reliable enough. The chinese manufacturer problem sent them a very well built turbo that they did there testing with, but when it came to production, the quality went down because the chinese already had the business.

I would have spent the extra $1000 for genuine Mits turbos if I was offered the option.

I have no hard feeling against APS. They offered a nice kit and they delivered. Did I expect the kit to be 100% problem free, no. We are talking about aftermarket auto parts here, how often do you get something that is 100% problem free?
some time ago, another member on here called them out about there mitsu turbos being made in china. long story shot, the member was ridiculed, discredited and banned.
aps representatives swore that the turbos were genuine mitsu's built using german built machines to balance or test them iirc.
Old 08-21-2009 | 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by boostedinaz
This reminds me of some DSM vendors. Simple cut and run scheme.

Sweet thanks. End of day here I come.
HAHAH

Yea, it seems that they sold a bunch of kits, got some complaints and instead of stepping up they just shut down that model line. Its a shame, really, as the kit was pretty nice except for the few flaws that refused to be fixed.
Old 08-21-2009 | 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TTI George
I understand *******, that's what i was trying to say.

LOL, then next time you try to say that, why don't you, UH, TRY SAYING THAT...

Instead of this rubbish:

Originally Posted by TTI George
Sorry to hear the bad news, Its tough out there for any performance/turbo shop us included.
Do you understand English? Do you understand what you wrote FAILS MISERABLY in calling to the sympathies of wronged customers? Instead, that calls to the sympathy of how tough the situation is for the turbo/performance shops, the completely opposite party in the spectrum...

This thread isn't about the tough time shops are going through... LOL. It's about what CUSTOMERS are going through.

Learn basic skills in expressing yourself through the written language. Not my fault *******.

I (or anybody else) don't have to be responsible when someone doesn't know how to communicate. That's why I posted what I posted. Carry on.
Old 08-21-2009 | 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Some good points and mostly echoing what I have been saying. I don't see this bunch of cheap crap parts just the turbos are in question and sick of hearing the inlet tube collapsing issue or the sway bar hitting the piping. No kit is pefect and as said already cheap simple fix for the inlet tubes or sway bar problem to anyone with half a brain.

But getting genuine mits was one big reason I jumped on the kit personally and they did say it and its still on their website.
Here is aps exact words

"Twin, state of the art and liquid cooled turbochargers deliver ballistic power with bullet proof turbocharger reliability - and with a custom APS aerodynamic configuration, that ballistic power is delivered in an extreme efficiency and super compact package that is ideally suited to the dynamics of the vehicle.

The highly specialized turbochargers are based upon custom Mitsubishi gasoline spec turbochargers with an Inconel 713C turbine wheel, liquid cooled bearing housing (50 lbs per minute mass air flow @ 18 PSI), APS single entry .84 A/R turbine housings with external waste gate port/provision and APS designed and manufactured .65 A/R compressor housing.

But engineering excellence doesn't just stop with the turbochargers alone."

I have no idea if anyone has sent their to aps for replacement.Part of it is shipping to australia and part is likely most people have lost faith the turbo they get back is going to be any better than one they sent in.So a bit of catch 22. Peter said I should send in my day one dud cracked internally center cart and he would see what he would do but I didn't want to put the car down since it was and still is working ok oil cooled only.
I don't have high miles though 3000 or so.

I still am not sure there is 100% failure rate on the aps f body turbso. We only see a few guys of the original 50 or more kits that were sold. And what of the gto and vette guys with same turbo supposedly are they getting 100% failure. Read quite a few gto kits high boosting and supposedly no problems.But maybe we got shafted on some of the f body kits. Peter is not clearing it up. He is not apologizing he is sliding sideways like he almost always does or did. He should not be in customer relations. Maybe he should not be working for aps at all but thats management decision. Who knows who runs the company maybe Dave Inall? But then if he was running it likely we would never have been shipped a kit!

I said people need to box up and ship the duds away ,keep records of what if anything aps does ,keep in mind that most turbo warranties are pretty much tailight.

I am pretty much buying LG turbos but if you read the lit on the upgraded ones it says clearly no warranty. LG said he would look at them on a case to case basis and I do respect LG and his reputation so still likley get some anyway.I am used to getting dud high perf parts be it big name clutches or whatever its just the nature of the game. And not all OEM parts are great.gm window motors, gm ta headlight gears, gm interior quality on the fouth gens, cracking door panels,cheap *** S10 100hp rear ends factory in our forth gens, etc.etc

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and soldier on. If you start looking around sure you can find many replacement 20g centers and genuine mits although not sure if you would have to buy entire mits turbo to get the centers. We just need centers unless aps has really wrecked the compressor housing .

I am not paranoid going to lose an engine from one of these turbos. I would like to see the pics of the engine and turbo that supposedly wiped out a motor.

I have had tons of super high mileage turbo cars and had failuresof all sorts. Never personally lost an engine to turbo failure.Not saying it can't happen. I did almost lose my 408 because the turbo was internally cracked letting coolant into oil. Caught it within a few minutes of fire up on the motor and twin kit buddy was constantly checking oil.
Changed out my oil like 5 times in 100 miles and everything seems ok so far. Not happy about that but soldier on.
Old 08-21-2009 | 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Some good points and mostly echoing what I have been saying. I don't see this bunch of cheap crap parts just the turbos are in question and sick of hearing the inlet tube collapsing issue or the sway bar hitting the piping. No kit is pefect and as said already cheap simple fix for the inlet tubes or sway bar problem to anyone with half a brain.

But getting genuine mits was one big reason I jumped on the kit personally and they did say it and its still on their website.
Here is aps exact words

"Twin, state of the art and liquid cooled turbochargers deliver ballistic power with bullet proof turbocharger reliability - and with a custom APS aerodynamic configuration, that ballistic power is delivered in an extreme efficiency and super compact package that is ideally suited to the dynamics of the vehicle.

The highly specialized turbochargers are based upon custom Mitsubishi gasoline spec turbochargers with an Inconel 713C turbine wheel, liquid cooled bearing housing (50 lbs per minute mass air flow @ 18 PSI), APS single entry .84 A/R turbine housings with external waste gate port/provision and APS designed and manufactured .65 A/R compressor housing.

But engineering excellence doesn't just stop with the turbochargers alone."

I have no idea if anyone has sent their to aps for replacement.Part of it is shipping to australia and part is likely most people have lost faith the turbo they get back is going to be any better than one they sent in.So a bit of catch 22. Peter said I should send in my day one dud cracked internally center cart and he would see what he would do but I didn't want to put the car down since it was and still is working ok oil cooled only.
I don't have high miles though 3000 or so.

I still am not sure there is 100% failure rate on the aps f body turbso. We only see a few guys of the original 50 or more kits that were sold. And what of the gto and vette guys with same turbo supposedly are they getting 100% failure. Read quite a few gto kits high boosting and supposedly no problems.But maybe we got shafted on some of the f body kits. Peter is not clearing it up. He is not apologizing he is sliding sideways like he almost always does or did. He should not be in customer relations. Maybe he should not be working for aps at all but thats management decision. Who knows who runs the company maybe Dave Inall? But then if he was running it likely we would never have been shipped a kit!

I said people need to box up and ship the duds away ,keep records of what if anything aps does ,keep in mind that most turbo warranties are pretty much tailight.

I am pretty much buying LG turbos but if you read the lit on the upgraded ones it says clearly no warranty. LG said he would look at them on a case to case basis and I do respect LG and his reputation so still likley get some anyway.I am used to getting dud high perf parts be it big name clutches or whatever its just the nature of the game. And not all OEM parts are great.gm window motors, gm ta headlight gears, gm interior quality on the fouth gens, cracking door panels,cheap *** S10 100hp rear ends factory in our forth gens, etc.etc

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and soldier on. If you start looking around sure you can find many replacement 20g centers and genuine mits although not sure if you would have to buy entire mits turbo to get the centers. We just need centers unless aps has really wrecked the compressor housing .

I am not paranoid going to lose an engine from one of these turbos. I would like to see the pics of the engine and turbo that supposedly wiped out a motor.

I have had tons of super high mileage turbo cars and had failuresof all sorts. Never personally lost an engine to turbo failure.Not saying it can't happen. I did almost lose my 408 because the turbo was internally cracked letting coolant into oil. Caught it within a few minutes of fire up on the motor and twin kit buddy was constantly checking oil.
Changed out my oil like 5 times in 100 miles and everything seems ok so far. Not happy about that but soldier on.

Warranties are for isolated defects... Not mass defects that equate to misrepresentation aka ******* a prominent sample of customers over with products different from what they ordered.

If you could start up a business selling items you know are broken, and declare that the items are "as-is" with no warranty to keep all your profits, wouldn't everyone be doing that? LOL... That's not the way it works... That's a nice way to get sued basically.

Example... The LG ones might not have a warranty, but if they sell 50 pairs and 10 of the pairs crap themselves out immediately following their installs, I SERIOUSLY DOUBT LG wouldn't help... That goes for all of our turbo sponsors, too.
Old 08-21-2009 | 03:51 PM
On The Tree

I just did an APS TT install on an '01 SS no more than a month ago. Great quality parts, decent fit, turbos are junk.
Old 08-21-2009 | 04:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Warranties are for isolated defects... Not mass defects that equate to misrepresentation aka ******* a prominent sample of customers over with products different from what they ordered.

If you could start up a business selling items you know are broken, and declare that the items are "as-is" with no warranty to keep all your profits, wouldn't everyone be doing that? LOL... That's not the way it works... That's a nice way to get sued basically.

Example... The LG ones might not have a warranty, but if they sell 50 pairs and 10 of the pairs crap themselves out immediately following their installs, I SERIOUSLY DOUBT LG wouldn't help... That goes for all of our turbo sponsors, too.
I agree the turbos are likely misreprentation. It says bulletproof and mits in the aps website. If they are knock offs thats misrepresentation. Wether any legal action could be taken or help I have no idea not a lawyer. Real mits would hardly need a warranty. Thousands of mits turbos are running around or maybe millions many with over 100,000 miles on them or more.
I have had many talons with original mits 14b , 13g, they don't put 20gs on the dsms stock but lots of guys upgrade to them or the evo 16g . There are knock off evo 16gs too out there. Buyer beware.
Old 08-21-2009 | 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

The chinese site people have posted up that contains the parts APS uses (like the exhaust manifolds), i cant seem to find how to get the price of the part to show. Where is the button to click on those kung-fu brand turbos and manifolds that shows the price of each part???

In my opinion, something good can come out of this. IF someone can put together a list of all the pieces APS used from that website, people can order their own twin turbo kit. It then is left up to the buyer where he wants to get his turbos, blow off valve, and inter-cooler.
I think there may be a great opportunity here for a shop or someone with some start up capital to put together a kit, essentially an APS knock off without the **** turbos. The
APS system was a great looking piece, and it fit very nicely without having to relocate a bunch of stuff. Someone could put together all the items from that website, and then have choices of what turbos, intercoolers, etc the customer would like instead.
This would give everyone involved, both vendor and buyer, a great opportunity to get a well designed kit without the weak links for a great price.
The vendor has the design and leg work done for him, they only need to have the start up capital to invest to buy a certain number of parts for the kits. They wont have to establish the credibility of the kit design, the fitment, or any other potential issues to the customer base because it is essentially an APS system without the weak links. The APS system has been out a while and is well known. This eliminates the effort of trying to "sell" the kit to the customers as a viable TT option for their vehicles. It also can keep costs down on working bugs out of the kit, as well as totally eliminating R+D costs for the Vendor. This should keep costs down, allowing the system to be sold for a very reasonable price even with better turbos and such, allowing for a good amount of units sold.
For the potential customers, there are many benefits as well. You essentially know what you are getting regarding quality, fitment, design, output potential, etc. It is a well known and established kit, only now it comes with the quality parts of your choosing (turbo, inter-cooler, etc), and this time it is coming from a reputable, honest, and helpful vendor.... everything Peter and APS are not. If this kit is put back together and resold by one of the vendor\sponsors here (sizable shops like Texas Muscle, Virginia Speed, PMFL, etc) you could get all the positives of an APS kit (fitment, looks, design, performance) without the shitty MooGoo guyPan parts and shady dealings and snide remarks of Peter and APS.... in addition to getting it made and either installed\shipped by a shop\company located in America, that has a good reputation, looks out for its customers, will stand behind its products, etc.

I hope this happens, as it is a win win. A vendor(s) could make some good income and drum up business and get their name out there, and customers could get great fitting\designed kits without the Nunchuk turbo's and such, all while at what should be a great cost!!!

Regarding Peter and his blatant disregard for the problems his customers are having....

Peter,
You obviously made a killing off these kits. Your design and fitment were great, and to jack up your bottom line you used chinese knock off parts. If you were up front about this, then fine. You weren't. You portrayed what was really you using sub-par parts to keep profit margins high as corporate ingenuity to keep the price tag down and the kit affordable. This is dishonesty at its finest. If you had stood behind the product and offered replacement parts when turbos crapped out after 5 miles, fine. Perhaps people would have forgiven it as an attempt to increase profits which didnt work out, so you made good on it. Maybe if you even acknowledged what anyone here and other places have asked you about the problems, or even addressed the issue when threads were made about the problems and knock off turbos.... hell we would be getting somewhere and you wouldnt have gone from "reputable vendor" to "purulent vaginal discharge" in a matter of 4 or 5 thread pages. Instead you totally **** on everyone by ignoring people and displaying utter contempt and disregard for customer's legitimate concerns and board members questions. Hell, you even ignored the site owner John. YOu either chose not to answer Pm's or threads, or if you did pop in you didnt acknowledge anything. Hell, you didnt even beat around the bush, you simply said something totally dismissive like "we arent amking that kit anymore. Cheers matey! Throw another sucker on the barbie while i high five my partner, the Incon scammer!!"

You dont give a **** about the people who bought your product. you got in, got your cash, and now your getting out. You are a real piece of work, and you attitude on here shows the kind of man (for you,i use that term loosely) you are. Hope you enjoy the jacked up profits you made selling people what would have been great kits until you subbed in cheap *** turbos made by 5 year old chinese kids. Most people work hard for there money, and they dont deserve to part with upwards of $6000 of their hard earned cash in good faith with the promise of receiving a quality product, only to receive crap. Perhaps karma will reward you, and one of your APS equipped vehicles will have a turbo explode, sending some impeller shrapnel into your mangina. Only time will tell. Until then, i hope you use your shady made cash to take a vacation to one of those famous Australian beaches. You know, the ones with the 30 foot great white sharks patrolling the waters.
Old 08-21-2009 | 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn, some long posts up in here, making me go blind trying to read.
all i can say is im happy i held off and didnt buy an APS kit like i was going to do literally 2 weeks ago
Old 08-21-2009 | 04:33 PM
10 Second Club

"The highly specialized turbochargers are based upon custom Mitsubishi gasoline spec turbochargers...."

edit. taken from MY99TAWS6's post about the turbos from the APS website

Last edited by RooRnZ28; 08-21-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2009 | 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billiumss
Hopefully an American company will copy the design and produce a quality turbo kit for the old F-body. Since they are not a US company, I don't think there are any laws in place to stop people from copying that design.

Sure it might cost 10k for the kit, but if it works with no issues, most will pay it.
I got a lead on a used APS kit, I'm gonna look into getting the manifolds, intercooler and downpipes copied.

Originally Posted by Cobra Commander
For those who haven't done it yet, I would download the .pdf files of the install guides now.
I have a printed copy of everything on the F-Body kits, I did so right before I made this thread.

Originally Posted by Novakain1970
Im sorry to hear how people got screwed but then again the OP saved a lot of people from getting screwed. Karma is a bitch!
I hope I did.

Originally Posted by JAX04
Thanks for saving me 6000 dollars op!!!! Thank you!
Really! Right on! Cheers Bro!

Originally Posted by TNTramair
wow...wasnt this locked a few minutes ago?? lol.
It might have been, I know a mod went through the thread and edited at least one post and deleted at least one post.

Originally Posted by svg210
Thank you Silverado!

No problem man! About the intercooler, I'm on the case!

Originally Posted by NemeSS
for starters aps or whoever will never sell them individually now. if its keeping your iat down, then its doing its job as its supposed to. there a good design, but there are better.
theres nothing wrong with mp turbos, there way better than the junk aps is pedalling thats for sure. ive had no probs. with the mp before. one car i built with a mpt70 runs hi 9's on pump and has over 10k miles so ther not all that bad.
APS won't sell them individually but they have no say with what I do.
Old 08-21-2009 | 04:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
"The highly specialized turbochargers are based upon custom Mitsubishi gasoline spec turbochargers"
DO you know the Winston Churchill version of the dry martini using gin and vermouth?

Pour a jigger of ice cold gin into a cocktail glass, then take a glance at the bottle of vermouth...

How is it based upon the Mitsubishi turbos? That they took a look at one and then went with the Chinese turbos? In the fact they are "knocked off" of them? No disclaimer in the world, no matter how slick, justifies selling a turbocharger that DOES NOT WORK.

Why doesn't he just say, Hey send me them back and if they are indeed defective, I'll send you a replacement. Then, he can go after the manufacturer and make the claim himself... Unless, he has a relationship with the manufacturer that precludes that... Meaning that the manufactuers themselves are crooks and APS by extension, a deal between cronies or something? Something doesn't make sense... And somebody is laughing all the way to the bank.

Quick Reply: Calling out APS